Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CW9 Broken sight/Kahr service is great!

Thumbs up

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    Awesome. Thanks for the update. That sight looks great; I've been considering one for my CW40. Most of my other pistols have red fiber optic front sights, with the exception of my Glock which has green. Like the sight picture a lot, thanks for the photos!
    You're welcome! Yes, I really like that sight too. I hope it doesn't get broken. It came with a couple of extra fibers but I might have to buy a cigar lighter to install one properly. I don't know if a cigarette lighter would work. I don't smoke cigarettes but I do smoke about one cigar a year.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

It doesn't take much heat at all, a match will do it just fine.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    It doesn't take much heat at all, a match will do it just fine.
    Thanks! Very good. I had read an installation instruction sheet that mentioned using a cigar lighter. It's good to know that much heat is not required.

BassCliff

Nice job BassCliff and great pictures!

How do you like the Wolff trigger spring? Did it make a difference from stock? I really like the stock, smooth trigger pull on these pistols even though they have quite a bit of take up.

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Gebe View Post

How do you like the Wolff trigger spring? Did it make a difference from stock? I really like the stock, smooth trigger pull on these pistols even though they have quite a bit of take up.
    Thanks! I love spewing electrons all over the internet.

I haven't actually shot this pistol yet. I need to ask Mrs. BassCliff nicely. Originally I had bought the Wolff spring (~5lbs) and the MCARBO spring kit (~4lbs) because I knew the stock ~6lbs trigger pull would not be comfortable for her. Mrs. BassCliff loves her CW9, especially now with the new front sight. I have done some dry fire practice with it and the trigger seems to have a long, steady, smooth pull. The trigger reset is almost all the way out but she doesn't mind. We'll get to the range soon so she can try out her new front sight. Maybe if I ask nice she'll let me shoot it too.

BassCliff

Red face

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Gebe View Post

I finally got around to shooting a couple hundred rounds through Mrs. BassCliff's CW9. The Wolff spring makes the trigger just a little lighter. It's still a long, smooth pull even after "the wall" where it resets. It's that DAO system. I'm not a big fan of the trigger but Mrs. BassCliff likes it. The new front sight seemed to be accurate when that long trigger pull didn't mess me up. It takes some getting used to. I'm so used to my XD9 that it's going to take me a couple hundred more rounds to really get comfortable with the CW9. If you'd like to have a look at my latest range day you can find it HERE. I hope you don't mind that I didn't duplicate the whole thread here.

Well, dang! I guess I can't post a link to an outside forum here. Sorry.

BassCliff

Quote Originally Posted by BassCliff View Post
    Hi,

I finally got around to shooting a couple hundred rounds through Mrs. BassCliff's CW9. The Wolff spring makes the trigger just a little lighter. It's still a long, smooth pull even after "the wall" where it resets. It's that DAO system. I'm not a big fan of the trigger but Mrs. BassCliff likes it. The new front sight seemed to be accurate when that long trigger pull didn't mess me up. It takes some getting used to. I'm so used to my XD9 that it's going to take me a couple hundred more rounds to really get comfortable with the CW9. If you'd like to have a look at my latest range day you can find it HERE. I hope you don't mind that I didn't duplicate the whole thread here.

Well, dang! I guess I can't post a link to an outside forum here. Sorry.

BassCliff
    XD Talk is one of a group of forums (I believe it's actually only one other forum) that you can't link to here. Most other forums are fine.
    I read your report and found it interesting. i think others here might as well; please do copy and paste it here.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Talking Range report #5

Hi Greg,

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    XD Talk is one of a group of forums (I believe it's actually only one other forum) that you can't link to here. Most other forums are fine.
    I read your report and found it interesting. i think others here might as well; please do copy and paste it here.
    Regards,
    Greg
    Let's see if I can copy and paste the whole post from the "other" forum......

It was quite a workout today at Burro Canyon Shooting Park in the canyons above the lovely city of Azuza. The fetching Mrs. BassCliff and I loaded up our kit and headed out for an 8am shoot-em-up.

This is the access road up to the shooting park. We are really climbing up switchbacks to get to the range.

It looks like there will be two other students beside the missus and me here at Range 6A.

Jacob chats with the other students while the other instructors discuss the airspeed of an unladen swallow. We actually had to chase some birds away from the range so that we did not hit any wildlife today.

BassCliff has his ears on his knee but at least his eyes are on the right place.

I picked up another 500 rounds this morning. We ended up shooting almost 300 today. We signed the paperwork.

The fetching Mrs. BassCliff and I are ready for our training. Today we are leaning to draw from a holster, then on to close quarters gunfight training. It was fun!

We bring our pistols to the line still locked up. There's still a lot of safety stuff to talk about and brush up on. Our instructor is very thorough.

Only 8 pictures and 10K characters. I'll continue in the next post.

BassCliff

Talking Range Report #5

Hi,

Continued from previous post.....

The other two students were just starting out. But we listened to Jacob tell his stories all over again.

The big guy there is another instructor helping out today. He introduces Mrs. BassCliff to the Uplula. I think I'll get her one of those for our anniversary.

My dear wife is having a ton of fun putting holes in the paper and learning to "chest, grip, pull, rotate, join, extend, fire". It's quite a process learning to draw properly.

This guy thinks he's a cowboy.

Our first drawing drills were single shots to the dots (or in between) as commanded by our instructor. Jacob stressed that this wasn't really marksmanship training. We were learning to draw smoothly and win a gunfight.

After the dot drills we got fresh targets for a new drill.

This was a triple tap drill with two in center mass and one in the head. We also used non-full magazines, a different number of bullets in each of our four mags, so that we could practice "fixing" our gun if the ammo ran out in the middle of our drills.

After that drill the range went cold so we could get set up for the next drill. Jacob would introduce some movement while firing at our targets.

I'll finish it up in the next post. I promise.

BassCliff

Talking Range Report #5

Hi,

One more post from Range Report #5.....

Mrs. BassCliff pays attention while her husband takes pictures. Jacob was explaining how to fire from retention. Chest, grip, pull, rotate, FIRE! Sometimes you won't have time to extend and take good aim at your target.

The drill called for a triple tap. Two shots from retention, as quickly as possible, then join, extend, and put one in the head.

We also ran though double target drills, added some movement, just a step or two in either direction depending on which target you were shooting at. The targets were close, only five or six feet away, to simulate close quarters combat. It was a lot to remember but it was a TON of fun! Next month we'll review and then move on to other tactical defense skills like drawing from concealed and weak hand shooting.

The only downside today was when Mrs. BassCliff noticed that her front sight had fallen off. I don't know if it came loose and got thrown from recoil or if she knocked it off with her holster but we couldn't find it. I've emailed Kahr just in case they will send one under warranty. This is the fist time this gun has been to the range. If not, they are less than ten bucks for the stock front sight. Maybe I'll take this opportunity to upgrade her sights.

This is the range where Jacob trains his Women On Target group. He also trains young women at a range in Arizona.

We had a great morning at the range, learned a lot, but now it's time to say goodbye.

We have a lot to practice with at home using our snap caps. I must call Kahr on Monday and see about warranty coverage for that broken sight. It looks like the screws just loosened up and the sight fell off. Odd. My XD was flawless today and Mrs. BassCliff did great racking the slide and swapping magazines on the fly. I guess I'll clean these guns tomorrow, haven't had the opportunity this evening and now it's time to say good night. Thanks for coming along with us.

BassCliff
    Last edited by BassCliff; 02-03-2021 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Just making it pretty