Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: Loving The Laser Trainer

Default Loving The Laser Trainer

Got a Christmas gift a little early, which is a g-sight ELMS laser trainer. WOW! Over the last week I’ve dry fired the CW9 maybe a few thousand times. While my hands/fingers are a bit raw....WOW! I can unholster and put a shot on target WAAAAAAY quicker than I used to. I’m also to the point now that I am instinctive shooting, without using the sights, and can hit my intended inch wide target across the largest part of my home (30’ away) every time. I’ve been popping the nose on Santa, Rudolph and Frosty, as well as the little finials on top of a pair of lamps. I’ve gotten to where I’m generally right on it, or an inch or 2 to the left/right/top/bottom of what my intended target is. Close enough for “combat efficiency”, giving me a lot more confidence that I can place at least the first shot on target quick enough that my previous fears about doing so are now only a memory. With the price of ammo these days, and considering range fees (no outdoor shooting places here) I’m saving a ton of money. Best Christmas gift ever!!! With so much trigger time, I also just ordered the Lakeline follower as well as Galloway’s striker and spring.
    By the way, this has also made me LOVE the Kahr trigger even more. I used the laser in some of my other 9’s just to see the difference, and those have me a bit more off target. While I could train with the other 9’s and get better, I’m going to spend all of my times training with the CW9, being that it is my primary carry gun. I’ll be ordering a .380 laser as well, so that I can also train with my pocket/b.u.g.

Preach it! I’ve had a Laserlyte thingie for years, I need to get it out and practice with it again.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, CZ75

Everyone can benefit from a laser trainer and the ELMS system looks like a good one.<br>
    <br>
    I have a Laserlyte that I found to be ok but my SIRT pistols have been better. I haven't figured a way to get them set up with my phone but just shooting random objects does help eliminate common mistakes. We have had the full size (Glock) models at our range for years and a couple of years ago I bought one of their Pocket Pistols and re-shaped it to be more similar to the P365's I carry. The full sized ones have a fully weighted removable mag for reloading practice. These things are very useful tools when teaching new students as they give immediate feedback.<br><a href="https://postimg.cc/gLP664Dk" target="_blank"></a>

"Never pet a burning dog"

I have been using the "Strikerman". I have both the 9mm and 380 laser with it.

Glad to hear you guys are in on this type of training too. What an amazing time we live in, with such technology available such as this. Happy shooting guys!

Really liked mine also. Found that regular practice made trips to the range more successful. However, just a caution.. Make damn sure you separate practice away from loaded guns. A friend of mine made little targets and taped them in his house to simulate a clearing operation. However, one day his mind had a fart and he reflectivity drew and shot a nice 3 ring target into a closet stopping half way through a rreloaded box of 45s. He said it was touchy explaining the noise as a dropped tool. After a chuckle with that story, I realized how casual I'd become with mine and took down all my targets, except the one covering the hole. Now, years later, all my stuff has found a better home in the lake. Sure miss them....
    •"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." - O. L.
    • "America's not at war; her military is. America's at the mall."

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsThaWord View Post
    Glad to hear you guys are in on this type of training too. What an amazing time we live in, with such technology available such as this. Happy shooting guys!
    Agree, I have always believed that proficient shooting requires frequent and diligent practice/training. You hand, mind and eyes have to stay honed all the time. The laser trainers are especially necessary now with the ammo shortage, but also to have more frequent range sessions and save ammo on ammo. I also am a big believer in Air guns. Especially for Point and shoot skills. One thing not mentioned is the are great for practicing drawing. Something I feel most shooters to not do enough of.

OldLincoln, I know what you mean. First thing the wife and son said about it was they were afraid I might slip one day and forget to unload before practice. I caught the subtle “friend” reference, and the lake part. Lol! I think that if shtf, and someone needed some armament, all they would have to do is go for a swim in the local lake. So many unfortunate boating accidents!

King Rat, you know I realized that after my first day. I was just standing at the ready, with gun already drawn taking shots. It dawned on me that I was missing the draw part. Getting into that part really made it fun too. It did make me realize pretty quick that I was lacking in that area. One thing I noted, but had not before this, was how different clothing (weight, length, etc.) will interact/react differently when trying to clear them away to expose the gun. Yesterday, I trained wearing a t shirt under a button up long sleeve (not buttoned), under a lightweight jacket. Man that unbuttoned long sleeve and jacket sure liked to get in the way. But, it taught me to do a better sweeping upward of the garments to ensure they clear. If something ever went down, not knowing this could be bad for business for sure!

Hi,

I've been reading, on this forum and others, how much folks like their laser trainers. I've been eyeing one for a while now, there are a few systems to choose from. Maybe I'll get Mrs. BassCliff one for a Valentine's Day present. I'm sure she'd love it.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Quote Originally Posted by BassCliff View Post
    Hi,

I've been reading, on this forum and others, how much folks like their laser trainers. I've been eyeing one for a while now, there are a few systems to choose from. Maybe I'll get Mrs. BassCliff one for a Valentine's Day present. I'm sure she'd love it.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    I bet she would love it! Happy training!