Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CM9 Stuck/tight Trigger

Default CM9 Stuck/tight Trigger

I have a CM9 that has been my carry gun for several years now. It has been a while since I've been to the range with it and noticed the other day while exercising the slide, etc that the trigger is extremely difficult to pull and then does not reset. I can force it to reset but it takes some effort. I have removed the slide and lubed the trigger and all points that appear to move... and its still tight without the slide on the frame. It will not reset on its own. I do not see any lint or anything foreign down in the trigger mechanism. It almost feels like the frame is pinching the hinge point of the trigger.

I searched and didn't see anything like this.

So my questions... anyone experience this? Any idea what I should be looking for? Any known issues? I have not removed the side panel at this time.

I am so glad I discovered this before I was in a situation where I needed to protect myself or my family.

I love the little CM9... just need to get it happy again.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Doug

Welcome to the forum Doug.

From your description, I imagine what ails it will be behind the side plate.

Starting with things you can see without removing the plate:
    Can you tell if the trigger bar spring is still in place? It should be partially visible on the top, right side of the mag well.
    Here's a view of it with the plate off:

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Thank you. As you can see, I joined a while back. I tend to lurk and read mostly. This would be my first time posting.

I do see the trigger bar spring in place. I see it looped under the trigger bar in approximately the location you show. I noticed when I move the trigger, the trigger bar slides in that little U shaped loop that goes under the trigger bar. Hopefully that makes sense. Not sure if that's how its supposed to work or not, but that's what it is doing at this point in time.

Do you know the torx screw size for the panel? I don't currently have anything that small but could easily pick something up.

Doug

Hi radio guy, I believe it takes a #5 Torx bit....I didn’t have one that small either but found a set at Lowes for not too much.....I think when you get the side plate off you should be able to see the problem and don’t over tighten it when you put it back on.....If necessary you can call Kahr and ask for a shipping label and let them fix it.....Good luck and let us know what you find....

I took the side panel off. Nothing looks out of place. My trigger bar is a little different than the one in the pic above. I would post a pic but for the life of me, I can't figure out how. I may punch out the pin that holds the trigger in place and see if things in there are okay. I see a spring in there as well. Anything else I need to be watching for in that area?

Doug

Hello again....Since you say everything looks ok under the side plate if I were you I would send it back to Kahr and let them look at it....The trigger pin is difficult to remove and if you turn the gun upside down and look closely at the polymer where the trigger pin goes through on the left side (slide release side) you will see another tiny pin that holds the trigger pin in place....If you damage that it could cause the trigger pin to become loose and slide out....

Before you go any further see what Greg gb6491 thinks, he knows more about Kahr pistols and guns in general than anybody I know and is our resident expert....About the picture posting thing, you have to have 30 posts I think before the site will allow you to do it, there may be another way but I’m not sure...Good luck with it and if you feel ok about digging into it further then have at it but it could void your warranty but do let us know what you find out.....

Thank you. Sending it to Kahr might be the best bet at this point. I'll wait to hear from the resident expert but that sounds like my next step.

Doug

Doug,
    If you want to troubleshoot it a little more, I'll help if I can. I do want to say upfront that I'm no expert, but I do appreciate the vote of confidence from getsome.
    I sent you a PM about posting photos.
    Regards,
    Greg

In the meantime:
    Here's a video I made a while back to help someone else; perhaps, it can be of some use to you:
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

I am more than happy to keep troubleshooting. I am a broadcast engineer. I'm the kid who took stuff apart to see how it worked when I was younger.

It seems to me the issue is actually with the trigger. I slipped the trigger bar spring off of the trigger bar so that the trigger bar was just hanging loose. The trigger was still quite tight. It will not reset on its own. I am wondering if, since I carried it daily for so long... working on a house remodel and quite a few other things, if I haven't gotten some sweat down in there and cause a little rust. My mag release has rusted like so many others on here and I can see evidence of some rust when looking down at the trigger form the top. Its not bad but could be just enough to cause it to be tight.

What is involved in removing the trigger pin? Looks like it has a ring on one end to catch on something to hold it in. Getsome mentioned a pin in the frame holding the trigger pin in. If I use a punch and push it out, am I going to damage whatever holds the trigger pin in? I suspect if I could get it part and clean everything up it should be fine. I could be wrong but that's just my best guess at this point. Especially after realizing that with no drag of any kind on the trigger via the trigger bar its still tight.

I also noticed that my trigger pin moves with the trigger. Is this typical? Or should the trigger be slipping on the trigger pin?

Sorry for all the questions. I love learning about these things and really wish I could find a frame disassembly/reassembly video like I did for the slide.

Thank you guys so much for all the help so far. I was really apprehensive about even asking the question. You know how it is on these forums sometimes... we get away from the actual issue and question every action the OP has taken since birth. LOL

Doug

I wonder if a little Kroil or some good penetrating oil might help that trigger pivot. The pin moving with the trigger doesn't sound right to me but I've never actually watched it to see if mine rotate or not.
    I'd definitely try the oil before trying to remove that pin.
    Greg has successfully removed that pin more than once, I know what's involved and read his how too's but I'm still plumb skeered to go there and I've done a few skeery things wrenching on guns.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."