Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: CM9 Stuck/tight Trigger

Quote Originally Posted by radioguy View Post
    Okay, curiosity got the best of me so I tapped the end of the trigger pin ever so slightly. Okay it was just a little more than ever so slightly... and it moved. I pushed it on out with some effort. Looks like the trigger pin was rusted to the trigger spacer. Both have a bit of rust on them. I went ahead and ordered a few new parts. I ordered the trigger spacer, the trigger pin, the trigger spring and went ahead and grabbed a new trigger while I was at it. I also grabbed the magazine release since mine was also rusty. The trigger bar looked fine and cleaned up easily enough. There is enough rust on the pin and spacer that I don't think they will easily clean up and go back together. I started to grab some emory cloth and work on them a bit but I don't think I can get inside the hole of the spacer without a lot of effort. Was easier to spend the $50 and get new parts.
    I have carried this little gun daily for quite some time. I carry it in an OWB holster and it easily conceals under a t shirt. I spent all last summer remodeling a house so that my wife and I could move in. It was hot and I was quite sweaty most of the time. I am sure the salty sweat from my side got into everything. I think I need to look for an OWB holster that has the flap that extends up to keep the gun from resting against my skin. I also think I need to clean lube ad check things out a little more often. Lessons learned.

Thanks for all the advice. I honestly appreciate it. As soon as parts come in and I get it reassembled I will come in and update this thread. I will also get it to the range and make sure things are right before carrying it again.

I'll go and try to make a pic sharing account and post a pic of the rusty parts.

Doug
    Good job............Good help.............sounds like a perfect reason to obtain another firearm for use during those "sweaty" times.

Quick follow up... Parts arrived this morning. Got everything back together and the trigger is working like its suppose to. Hopefully I can put a few rounds through it this weekend or later today and then back on my hip it goes. I think the evening is going to be spent giving it a good cleaning. I really like this little gun.

Thanks for everyone's help. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

Doug

So did you punch out the trigger pin without taking the little retaining pin out first?

I had bought a set of punches a while back when I was working on a pellet rifle. I had one that was somewhat smaller than the hole and I just put the flat of the end of the punch on the end of the pin. I took a short piece of 2x4 and drilled a hole in it that was a little larger than the pin. I place the pin over that hole so it would have a place to fall and the rest of the frame would be supported. At first I tapped it very gently. I am sure if it hadn't been rusted a very light tap would have popped it right out. Mine was rusted and took a little more effort. Once it moved just a little, everything was loose and I literally pushed the pin the rest of the way out with the punch.... no tapping needed.

Getting it back in is a different story. Watch the video back on page 2 of this thread. You will also see that he has a rubber block... almost looks like a hockey puck... that he uses to rest the gun on. I just used the 2x4 instead of the rubber block. Getting the trigger spacer and spring lined up takes a bit. I started the pin in and then just worked the trigger spacer and spring with a small screwdriver until I could see everything line up through the hole on the opposite side of the frame. Once I saw things line up, I had the pin against the surface of the 2x4 and just pushed the frame down and that pushed the pin all the way through. It took a little pressure on the pin to get it to seat all the way into the frame.

I think the retaining pin just sits in a ring around the trigger pin. It slips out when you remove the pin... but takes a little force to get it out of the groove on the trigger pin. And it popped right back in when I put the pin back in. I pushed on the pin and it seems to be holding tight. I can see where the retaining pin pokes through the frame on the outside. Someone mentioned above that if it backs out, all you have to do is push it back in some. I think mine is fine but I will for sure keep an eye on it.

I'm really glad I tried the fix myself. There is something about shipping my gun that just makes me a little nervous. Its now fixed and it never left my possession. I'm sure shipping it is fine and many have done it, including my dad. Just made me a little nervous, that's all.

Doug

Thanks!

Great job radio guy, glad you were able to get it back together and working again.....Good luck at the range!

Doug,
    That "hockey puck" is what is known as a Bench Block. Galloway Precision offers one for 16.00. There are a lot of other choices offered
    here:
    https://www.amazon.com/gunsmithing-b...ng+bench+block
    Not a bad item to own if you're going to be doing a much home gunsmithing.

I use mine all the time for all kinds of things. A little V block, a round block, different size holes. Real handy little item.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Well done Doug! Thanks for the follow up

I have two bench blocks made from hockey pucks.. I also have a 3D printed bench block from MCARBO. They all work fine, but I'd say I probably use a convenient roll of black electrician's tape just as often.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Yup it's funny how one can repurpose stuff to make things work. Never miss an episode of McGyver.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."