Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: Pocket Carry P9-Covert

Default Pocket Carry P9-Covert

Does anyone have experience pocket carrying the P9 or P9 Covert? I don't know how many here remember the P9 Covert, but I've got a TP9 that I chopped the grip on years ago that I'd like to keep running as a BUG to my primary. I'm planning to swap the TP9 slide assembly for a P9 or CW9 assembly.

Thanks!

Different pants for different... man.. t's? Only experience I have was an experiment with my CM9 in my jeans pocket. It wouldn't draw cleanly because of the shape and size of the pocket (Levi's 569 and 505, 34x34)... the back of the slide would catch on the inside of the pocket for me. It might work with pants that have a different cut and sized pocket (like with my dress pants), but I tried it with the pants I wear 99% of the time and decided it was a no go for me. YMMV.

If I try it with my CW40 (similar size to the P9) the bottom of the grip sticks out for me (in my Levi's).

Quote Originally Posted by Scott321 View Post
    Different pants for different... man.. t's? Only experience I have was an experiment with my CM9 in my jeans pocket. It wouldn't draw cleanly because of the shape and size of the pocket (Levi's 569 and 505, 34x34)... the back of the slide would catch on the inside of the pocket for me. It might work with pants that have a different cut and sized pocket (like with my dress pants), but I tried it with the pants I wear 99% of the time and decided it was a no go for me. YMMV.

If I try it with my CW40 (similar size to the P9) the bottom of the grip sticks out for me (in my Levi's).
    Sounds like it may be too big either way. My jeans don’t have very big pockets. I may save the money and put it towards a 380 if the ammo comes down in price.

I guess it depends on how fast you want to be able to draw from a pair of jeans pocket. My PM45 with a 5rd mag has a height of 4.49". I can draw it from my front pocket though I would not pocket carry it wearing jeans by choice. It's not a lightning fast draw but not cumbersome either. The P9 has a height of 4.5" so I think it would be doable also.
    I typically only pocket carry 9mm or larger in the Summer and I have about 8 pairs of cargo-like shorts that I wear because there's plenty of room in them.
    Now my P380 is almost small enough to fit in my jean's watch pocket

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    I guess it depends on how fast you want to be able to draw from a pair of jeans pocket. My PM45 with a 5rd mag has a height of 4.49". I can draw it from my front pocket though I would not pocket carry it wearing jeans by choice. It's not a lightning fast draw but not cumbersome either. The P9 has a height of 4.5" so I think it would be doable also.
    I typically only pocket carry 9mm or larger in the Summer and I have about 8 pairs of cargo-like shorts that I wear because there's plenty of room in them.
    Now my P380 is almost small enough to fit in my jean's watch pocket
    I tried jeans today with my TP9 and found it’s too long. You are right, forget the fast draw. I’ll see this summer. I compared the PM9 with the LCP and 3AT. They are pretty close.

Jacket pocket, yes. Pants pocket? No way.

I pocket carry my PM9 in a Sticky holster in Wrangler loose fit jeans every day and it can be done but you have to wear jeans with large pockets and the draw is fast and as an added benefit if you see something that doesn’t look right it’s easy to have your hand on the pistol but to everyone else you just look like a guy with his hand in his pocket....This type of carry works well but you have to dress around the gun and if you wear loose fitting jeans like Wrangler, Dickies or Duluth Trading but it can be done very easily with a CM or PM size pistol but nothing larger....

Quote Originally Posted by getsome View Post
    I pocket carry my PM9 in a Sticky holster in Wrangler loose fit jeans every day and it can be done but you have to wear jeans with large pockets and the draw is fast and as an added benefit if you see something that doesn’t look right it’s easy to have your hand on the pistol but to everyone else you just look like a guy with his hand in his pocket....This type of carry works well but you have to dress around the gun and if you wear loose fitting jeans like Wrangler, Dickies or Duluth Trading but it can be done very easily with a CM or PM size pistol but nothing larger....

I have the unfortunate body type that makes it easy to lift a piano and hard to find loose fitting jeans. Levi's used to make a pair that fit me like that, but somewhere in the early 2000's they went cheap on the material and I think they eventually quit making them. Certainly not worth the money if they were still around. I'll keep my eye out. My 365 is close, but it prints way too much in my jeans. I have some 5.11 shorts on order, maybe they will be better? Hopefully, because that is my most likely time to pocket carry.

Thank you all for the feedback. Stupid gun/ammo shortage & panic buying makes changing things up a giant pain.