Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights

Thread: Universal in the DE 44?

Default Universal in the DE 44?

I've never seen it mentioned in any of the threads, but Hodgdon lists Universal for 44 magnum from 200-240 grains.
    I've got a BUNCH of Universal. Anyone ever tried it?

John

This is for a 240gr Nosler JHP. The also list Titegroup and Lil'gun.
    Hodgdon Universal 0.429" 240gr NOS JHP 1.600" 8.0 1,018fps 21,900 CUP 10.2 1,246fps 38,200 CUP
    Last edited by onebigelf; 01-22-2021 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Formatting

My local reloading shop is closing down half the week because they just don't have much to sell. Nor do they expect to get it.
    "Also, be aware that stock is becoming extremely difficult to obtain. Primer’s are 3-9 MONTHS out according to Winchester. Bulk Projectiles are 16 weeks out. Powders are on backorder with no expected date. These are the realities we are facing. We have added two additional major distributors hoping,that with any luck,we could source things faster. All are in the same boat."

So I'm limited to what I have. I have most of a pound of Unique, a pound of Blue Dot, and a lot of powders for .308 and 30/06. I've got a pound of Lil'gun for subsonic 300 BO and powders for 9mm.

John

Hello onebigelf and welcome to Kahrtalk....If you are talking about Universal Clays powder it is a do it all powder very similar to Unique and works well in magnum calibers, I have several cans of it and use it in all pistol calibers .38 .357 .44 special and light .44 mag as well as.45acp......I’m pretty sure that very soon any and all reloading for personal firearms will become illegal without some super expensive Federal ATF license/permit and I miss the days when I could find anything I needed at Bass Pro but things have changed so if you find anything available online or at a gun show grab it......As for Universal Clays, Unique, Bullseye, all will perform well for you in 44 mag IF you can find them.....It’s a shame how things are now, I may have to give up reloading which I enjoy almost as much as shooting but so it goes.....Good luck to you finding supplies....

Quote Originally Posted by getsome View Post
    Hello onebigelf and welcome to Kahrtalk....If you are talking about Universal Clays powder it is a do it all powder very similar to Unique and works well in magnum calibers, I have several cans of it and use it in all pistol calibers .38 .357 .44 special and light .44 mag as well as.45acp......I’m pretty sure that very soon any and all reloading for personal firearms will become illegal without some super expensive Federal ATF license/permit and I miss the days when I could find anything I needed at Bass Pro but things have changed so if you find anything available online or at a gun show grab it......As for Universal Clays, Unique, Bullseye, all will perform well for you in 44 mag IF you can find them.....It’s a shame how things are now, I may have to give up reloading which I enjoy almost as much as shooting but so it goes.....Good luck to you finding supplies....
    Thinking here that Bullseye might be a tad fast for 44 magnum, unless you're conjuring up a light ( ie reduced power, <900fps) cast bullet load, which I think is unsuggested for a DE.

You are right, I forgot he was loading for a DE....They need full power loads to cycle properly....I always wanted to shoot a DE but I probably couldn’t lift one....Better stick with light revolver loads for this old man...