Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: (Update: HERE!)Still waiting for my K9 to ship (🙁) so I’m buying another one tomorrow

In the old days not so long ago there were many reports of machining junk left in the striker channels. Don't hear of it often now days, perhaps they are a bit more diligent in cleaning them out. That's the only thing I checked prior to shooting my PM45 and the K9 I got. Both were spotless clean and covered with a very light oil. I wiped em down so they didn't attract junk and had no issues.
    The PM45 as I've stated before ate 350 rounds of Blazer Aluminum and a box of carry ammo right out of the box.
    Not nearly so much through the 9 but no issues either.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by rms2324 View Post
    Here’s the quote from the post, absolutely no clue if it’s true or not but just what I read:
    The only change to the original type trigger was the addition of a trigger limiter stop to prevent pulling it too far and causing the trigger spring to break.
    On that original model you could pull the trigger back until it contacted the frame. That over-stressed the trigger spring and they'd break.
    The person that made that post is usually a very solid contributor, but I question it. I suspect it is more likely he had a defective/improperly fit trigger vice an "original trigger". I say that because I have an early carbon steel K9 and it's trigger prevents the trigger being pulled back far enough to contact the frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by rms2324 View Post
    Is it possible to put in an Elite trigger/springs into the carbon steel K9 to give it the nice, crisp trigger pull on the newer K9s? I personally wouldn’t feel comfortable doing it myself so would need to send it to Kahr if that’s a possibility. I like this trigger but the new K9 trigger blows this one out of the water
    Folks have converted their K9's with the "NYPD" trigger:
    http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...te-quot-Status

Folks have had Kahr do it, post #4 here: http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...hr-K9-question

Some of the early K9's have a trigger bar (and spring) that is different from what is used today. I believe Kahr can convert these. It seems to me that the frame on these guns will need some milling done on them to accommodate the current trigger bar.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    The person that made that post is usually a very solid contributor, but I question it. I suspect it is more likely he had a defective/improperly fit trigger vice an "original trigger". I say that because I have an early carbon steel K9 and it's trigger prevents the trigger being pulled back far enough to contact the frame.

Folks have converted their K9's with the "NYPD" trigger:
    http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...te-quot-Status

Folks have had Kahr do it, post #4 here: http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...hr-K9-question

Some of the early K9's have a trigger bar (and spring) that is different from what is used today. I believe Kahr can convert these. It seems to me that the frame on these guns will need some milling done on them to accommodate the current trigger bar.

Regards,
    Greg
    Thank you for all of the great info. I’ll first clean my striker channel out, haven’t done that since buying the pistol. And that definitely makes me feel better knowing it was probably an out-of-spec part. I have the carbon steel K9 in my hands and as you said, the trigger does not go back far enough to touch the frame by any means

I’m still deciding whether to send it into Kahr for an upgrade. I’m competent with normal cleaning/lubing and some spring changes, stuff like that but I wouldn’t be comfortable replacing the trigger/trigger bar. I’ll see how much I want it when the new K9 gets here

Quote Originally Posted by Canine Dave View Post
    Get busy and clean and polish your striker channel.

There is a rumour about that says Kahr Co is supply a little sample tube of Flitz with every gun purchased. (I started that rumour so I can say it's not true.)
    I’ll do that tomorrow after work, very well could be contributing to the trigger. And don’t get me wrong, the trigger is by no means bad. Just long/heavier/a bit more rough than my PM9/new K9

Quote Originally Posted by FreeMe View Post
    My old K9 ('95 vintage E-nickel) has been dry fired many thousands of times. No damage from that yet. I can't imagine how that would cause a trigger to break.
    Add on, do you use snap caps or just dry fire on an empty chamber?

Well she’s back! All good. Little ball of metal is still there but so small enough it’s not noticeable unless I actively look at the spot. I gotta say, the slide-to-frame fit is pretty darn loose. Little bit of everything from front to back, side to side, up and down as well as the slide not being completely flush with the rear frame. Rattles like a baby toy! When the striker is cocked, the front to back stops for the most part and is flush with the rear

For some reason, the “slop” doesn’t bother me *as* much any more. Still a tad disappointed on the slop with the high-ish price point of the gun but it is what it is, as long as it runs.
    The carbon steel K9 in comparison is pretty solid, just a tiny bit of side to side at the front. Less slop definitely gives it a more “solid” feel. At the rear slide plate, the old one’s slide is closer/tighter to the frame than the new one. One thing I noticed is there’s some metal-on-metal noise/tiny bit of drag when pulling back the slide when compared to the old K9. Don’t get me wrong, the new one is still super smooth but the carbon steel makes 0 noise when being racked and there is 0 resistance. Feels like the rails are made of straight lube on the old K9 it’s so smooth. I’m sure it’s because it hasn’t fully been broken in yet. (This is literally my only complaint aside from the ye ol’ K9 takedown, I’m just nitpicking this one subject because it’s the only thing TO nitpick lol) HAVING SAID ALL OF THIS, with a full mag and a cocked striker, it becomes solid. Little side to side at the front and smaller amount at rear but aside from that, nothing much. Rattling is SIGNIFICANTLY reduced if not almost eliminated with a full mag/cocked striker. As I’d be carrying this way, the slop holds no significance to me. As long as it’s accurate and functions well, I’m happy (which it should, Kahr put 3 mags of PMC through it to test function.)

Now the trigger... oh boy, that new trigger is something to behold. After having dry-fired with the carbon steel K9 so much, I kept breaking the new K9 trigger too quickly the first 5 or so times during dry fire. It really is an amazing trigger. Coming from the old K9, the new trigger seemed ‘too’ light at first lol, love this trigger! Overall, I’m very happy with it. It really is a beautiful gun and I like the stainless just a bittt more than the carbon steel. The lines, the size, everything. It’s the best looking handgun in my opinion. Haven’t put it down since FedEx dropped it off

I think I’ll give the carbon steel to my father as a gift, he’s been eyeing it since I got it! And last thing, there’s some circular blemishes that are slightly raised/depressed on the inside of the dust cover. You can’t see it unless the gun is taken apart but still fairly noticeable on the inside. I’ll try post a pic tomorrow with it.

I wanted to give a big thank you to everyone for all of the awesome advice. I’m on the lookout for a P9/MK9 right now

P.S. Anyone know the right way the magazine spring is supposed to be oriented? I want to make sure they’re in properly but the manual does not specify which way they’re supposed to go
    Last edited by rms2324; 02-06-2021 at 12:08 AM.

I took a vid of the rattle. No tripod so I can’t get a steady vid of the slop. If anyone remembers the K9 video on YouTube with loose slide-to-frame fit, it’s pretty much exactly like mine.

A bit disheartening when my Glock 19 Gen 5 doesn’t have an iota of movement in any direction... and it’s a Glock

https://streamable.com/ky5ze3
    Last edited by rms2324; 02-06-2021 at 08:32 PM.

I have a Colt Gold Cup National Match that rattled like that. It shot poorly. I got it tightened up and now it shoots like it should. My Khars are all polymer, but none of them are loose like that.

Quote Originally Posted by dustnchips View Post
    I have a Colt Gold Cup National Match that rattled like that. It shot poorly. I got it tightened up and now it shoots like it should. My Khars are all polymer, but none of them are loose like that.
    Quick update: I sent the video to Kahr just to see what they said and if it’s a problem, I got a response (this is the main part)
    My head gun smith would like to have the pistol sent back in, he agrees that it is rattling more then what we would call normal.

Joshua offered to get a case started and have the pistol sent back in. Once again, Kahr CS stands by their product and that’s why I keep coming back. I’ve been told to kick rocks by other companies like Sig so I must say, it just reaffirms my loyalty for Kahr. Wasn’t expecting an RMA, just wanted to see their thoughts

Colt didn't give me the time of day. It is fixed now and a nice tight gun but not because of them. I'm glad you had better luck with Kahr.