Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop

Thread: Question for Bawanna

Default Question for Bawanna

So Colonel, I have a question for you. From following your posts for so many years it's obvious that you have vast experience with all types of firearms and I always look forward to your wisdom and thoughtfulness in all things that go bang.

My question is: with all this knowledge about all brands how come you seem to have gravitated to Kahr. Maybe you haven't committed solely to Kahr but you seem to have more than most. How come?

Thanks for all you do for us!

Not sure I have a solid answer for ya but here's what I got.
    Like many folks I'd never heard of Kahr before. I went to our local gun show, we used to have them every month until all this BS started. A table holder that I knew well happened to have a K40 on his table.
    It sort of grabbed me, I quite unusually had the money so I bought it. Took it home and while I'm no machinist it was the most beautiful piece of work I'd ever seen inside. Just clean and very well machined.
    After spending a lot of time with it and time passage for some reason I decided I wasn't fond of the muzzle flip, not painful can shoot it all day but follow up shots are slower etc. So I sent it to Magna Port after reading the deciphered post from Jocko. That helped but not enough.
    Only Kahr I ever had an issue with, it started pinging kind of early on, the dust cover hitting the slide. Sent it off to Kahr (this is prior to the Magna Port) and chatted with a real nice lady in customer service (Dottie?) don't quote me on that but they put a shiny new stainless slide on it at my request after they had none of the black ones available. One reason it pays to check now and then. I'd waited a few weeks and when I got hold of (Dottie) she said they didn't have a black slide. I asked what it would cost me to upgrade to stainless and she said no charge and the gun arrived at my police station the very next day.

Guess they just kind of stuck. The only polymer Kahr I own is my PM45 which got carried everyday while I was working and now anytime I'm someplace I'm not really supposed to have a gun. My part time gig now doesn't allow firearms, kind of a don't ask, don't tell kind of thing.

Mostly your correct, I just love all guns, old guns, weird guns, anything that goes bang. Now days I usually have my Cbob on my hip from wake up to pillow time. I do hang some of my several MRI 1911's on the belt occasionally so try to spread it around some.

I'm currently tracking down a Sig 365 after I looked over a friends yesterday, more impressive in person than in pictures by far.
    So guess I'm not a true Kahr fanboy, I am a Kahrtalk fanboy for sure, kind of a little oasis and have a lot of true good friends I've never met in person.

Far as knowledge goes, not sure I have much of that, got a lot of experience and utilize the people and friends that do have knowledge to bail me out when needed.

Not sure this is a good answer but best I got at the moment.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Excellent answer, Thanks.

My former roommate would allow nothing to do with guns, although I had always been fascinated with the industrial art of guns and the manufacture, tooling and machinery required, etc more than anything else. Once we divorced I found an interest in concealed carry self defense. I did some research and among the places I looked was here at Kahrtalk. A friend said I should buy a Glock because "you can leave 'em in a bucket of mud for six months and you can pull 'em out and shoot 'em." I rented a Glock when I did my CPL class. I knew I wanted something a little different. The more I read on here the more I became convinced that a CM9 was a good first firearm. Being sort of a tech head I, like you , was impressed with the guts. Now I have a K9 Elite, the CM9, a P380 and a CW380. Love 'em all and can honestly say they've never done me wrong. The CW 380 was a challenge but with the help of site members it runs like a champ now.

Anyway, you strike me as one of the more knowledgeable, experienced, and interesting people here and I wanted to find out how you started and to thank you!

Cheers
    Drew

Just to show my accumulator habits, my # 1 desire right now is a Pedersoli Sharps, a Quigley or something similar. What do I need that for? Because I want it has always been reason enough for me.

As for Glocks, people always said you love them or you hate them. I don't find that the case. They are a great gun for the right people and right circumstances. Especially now with all the new variations they took forever to bring out. For those that like pocket carry (not me ever) I say no go. Bad idea.

For cops they are ideal, they are simple, they are pretty much bomb proof. When they clean them there really isn't much they can mess up or have to be careful about.

I have my Glock 21 (45). Officers purchased it for me upon my retirement, mighty nice of them I thought. Although I was just an office puke, I was the armorer and key holder for the ammo. It was assigned to me just to take apart to stay proficient which after taking apart a few hundred of them, wasn't really needed but was still nice to have at my desk in a little safe. The fact that I had 6 loaded magazines beside it didn't seem to bother the liability worriers in the big offices.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I think Bawanna is responsible for this.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qkqfUlOCRM
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

Hell yea, I think I’ve found a new favorite song......