CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   Crimsontrace

Thread: BassCliff's 8th Range Report, 1/30/2021

Wink BassCliff's 8th Range Report, 1/30/2021

Greetings Patriots!

Here's another range report that I copied over from "that other website" (xdtalk dot com) to share with you here since it features our Kahr CW9. I'll apologize right now and tell you that I don't shoot the CW9 as well as my XD9. I just need more practice with it and its new fiber optic front sight. Anyway, here's the goods.

I hope you all don't mind that I call us that, Patriots. I know we all love America and want to best for everyone here in this greatest country on God's green earth. Today I was by myself at the Rancho Magnum Range, a nice indoor facility run by some nice young folks. (Wow! I just noticed that they've updated their website. It looks nice.) Mrs. BassCliff did not want to go with me this morning but I had things I wanted to work on so I packed up my kit along with my XD9 and Mrs. BassCliff's CW9.

I wanted to practice some more with the CW9 and its new front fiber optic sight, figuring out where to hold for the most accuracy. I also brought along two pair of my reading glasses, 1.25x and 1.75x, to use with my new right eye in order to see the front sight better. I popped out the left lens and used only the right lens to give me a clearer picture of my front sight. I shoot with both eyes open. I'm sure you remember that I had cataract surgery about five weeks ago. I was shooting cross-dominant until today. We'll see how that works out, going back to right eye dominant.

After a couple of days of rain the local mountains were beautiful. The day was clear and cool for the short drive over to the indoor range.

Here we are at the only egress to the Rancho Magnum Range, located in the industrial section of this little bedroom town.

Here's your sign. RMR offers rental packages, lessons, FFL, etc. Rates are reasonable. I bought a target for a dollar and $17 for two hours in lane #3. I didn't hurry, shot 250 rounds, and still had time left.

There are a couple of huge gun safes where they keep their rentals.

They were doing a pretty good business when I arrived a couple hours after opening. I got a lane right away. In front of me was a family out to have some fun, five kids and a few adults. They were well behaved. I like seeing that big cross prominently displayed.

I unpacked my kit in lane #3. Along with the XD9 and CW9 I brought 100 rounds of aluminum Blazer, 100 rounds of factory reloads, and 50 rounds of Fiocchi, all regular 115 grain FMJ. If there was any difference in the accuracy between the different ammo, it was all my fault.

I think that's eight pictures. It will take me a few posts to copy the whole range report. I hope you don't mind.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Let's continue!

I brought only two mags for the CW9 because I knew I wouldn't be shooting that as much. Besides, Mrs. BassCliff leaves a couple of loaded mags on her night stand and I didn't want to unload and reload them with her SD ammo. I hung my four silhouette target and sent it out to five yards for my first four mags of the day.

Yes, I brought Mrs. BassCliff's pink Uplula loader. It works a LOT better than my mag loader. I put the first magazine from my XD into the upper left target. That don't look too bad.

Let's have a closer look at the target. This turned out to be the best group of the day. But after these first four mags all the other targets were at seven yards.

On the second magazine I let a couple go low.

The third magazine, lower left, was a bit more spread out. The fourth magazine was a little better.

It seems all day long I shot the upper pair of targets better than the lower pair. I started using reactive targets after shooting up the silhouettes. I've been buying these in bulk for about fifty cents apiece. They're fun. I sent them out to seven yards and shot there for a while. The last few magazines of the day I shot at ten yards.

There ya go. My first magazine at seven yards. I'd say that's not bad considering I just switched back to right-eye dominant and I'm trying to use a makeshift diopter on my right eye while leaving my left eye unaided.

Practice makes perfect, or hopefully will make better at sometime in the future. Today I was experimenting with the 1.25x and 1.75x diopter (reading glasses with the left lens punched out) and trying to get used to shooting right eye dominant again. Here are the second, third, and fourth magazines on this round of targets. Seems I had one or two flyers from each mag. I hope that's still plenty good for self defense shooting at seven yards. (Remember, that head shot on the lower left target was from the previous set of targets.)

I'll be back in the next post with more of the adventure.

BassCliff

Talking

To continue:

I used the sticky dots to repair the reactive targets for the next round of magazines. I like to get at least two uses out of these targets. I guess that cuts the cost to twenty five cents a target, right?

Before I send this sheet out to seven yards again, let me show you how goofy I looked today. The left lens has been popped out of this pair of reading glasses. I'm wearing my cheap shooting glasses over the reading glasses. This way I can see the front sight better, shoot with both eyes open, and hopefully hit where I'm aiming.

You see this time I covered all the flyers with black dots. Where I hit, we're going to know it now. The round of four magazines from my XD9 did pretty well. There were only two hits that were not on the reactive targets at seven yards.

I can't help but think that after I get some shooting glasses with the proper diopter, like the SSP Top Focal, my groupings will get better. Let's have a little closer look at that target. I actually thought I had only one flyer off the target so I stuck my chamber flag in it. I didn't notice til later that group #2 also had a low hit.

Oh sure, why not! Let's repair them again, send them out to seven yards again and have some fun. I forgot to put a dot on top of the hole where I had my chamber flag. Oops.

I guess that's about twenty one feet, or seven yards.

Oh! Looks like I'm going to shoot Mrs. BassCliff's CW9. I shoot this pistol like crap. I need more practice with it.

OK, one more post will finish this report. Thanks for looking!

BassCliff

Let's finish it up!

I had a seven round and an eight round mag for this pistol. I think sevens went in the left targets, eights went in the right targets. It look like group #2 was the best.

I eventually send the targets out to ten yards but the results were nothing to write home about. Look at this beautiful pistol.

This target is still at seven yards. I'll not embarrass myself showing you results from ten yards.

Dang! It just seems I lose my concentration for a couple of shots. How do I get over that?

I guess by then I was getting a little tired and I hadn't eaten all day. I shot a few magazines at ten yards but didn't do that well. I finished up about 1:15, swept up my brass, and packed up my kit.

Here's a view of most of the lanes. I was in #3 of twelve lanes. I'm just about to walk out the door to the lobby.

Now since I've made two range trips this month I'll need to start hunting and gathering ammo again to replace what I've shot lately. I'm hoping the snow melts up at our outdoor ranges so the family and I can get another training session soon. It was fun today, all by myself, and I pretty much accomplished what I set out to do. I'm going to order a set of shooting glasses with top focal diopters on the right side. I realize that in a self defense situation I will not be able to use my "special" target glasses so I will continue to train occasionally without them, shooting cross-dominant. Kids, let me give you some advice. Don't get old!

Thanks for coming along with me today. Feel free to share your thoughts, scold, heckle, and otherwise poke fun. I like hearing from you guys.

BassCliff

Nice job.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by 340pd View Post
    Nice job.
    Thanks! Now that I have my new shooting glasses I'm hoping to make ALL the shots more accurate. These aging eyes need help.

BassCliff

I find myself missing Mr. Basscliffs Range Reports!

Been holding my breath for #9...
    Last edited by Canine Dave; 03-14-2021 at 10:29 AM. Reason: spulln