Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wrestling anyone?????

Default Wrestling anyone?????

From the 50's in to the 90's, I watched a lot of wrestling. The wifey says that she's probably lucky that she didn't know me then......... AWA, NWA, Deep South, WWF, NWO. The AWA was big in my area when I was a kid. The Crusher, The Bruiser, Mad Dog Vachon, Baron Von Raschke, Larry The Axe Hennig, Curt Hennig, Nick Bockwinkle, Verne Gagne, they were all from around my area. For anyone who knows wrestling, I have a poster I took/borrowed from a match that I attended in 1987 which took place at a tech school auditorium that I had previously attended. The feature match was the then current(and long time) AWA champion Nick Bockwinkle against The Super Ninja...............The Midnight Rockers(Shawn Michaels and Marty Jannetty) and Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka versus Playboy Doug Sommers and Pretty Boy Buddy Rose and Kevin Kelly........Curt Hennig versus Colonel De Beers.........Leon "Bullpower" White(Vader) versus Boris Zukov, and Dave Peterson versus Brian Knobbs(Nasty Boys). Also, Larry Zbyszko and some others were there...................................... ....... Interviews were always the best part of wrestling..........................some of the best interviewers were Nature Boy Rick Flair.............Manny Fernandez............Bruiser Brody..............Mad Dog Buzz Sawyer..............Dusty Rhodes........................Maniac Matt Bourne..................The Road Warriors............Ravishing Rick Rude......................Luscious Jimmy Garvins.......................Anyone else with a "wrestling" history??????????????????????????????????? It's been slow.............................................. ........

Back in the mid 1950s when my family was stationed in St. louis for three years, we watched some rasslin’ on tv that was broadcast from downtown at the Kiel Auditorium. Johnny Valentine was a local hero, then there was Lou Thez (or Thes) who my Mom said was a distant cousin of her family. Pro rasslin’ was a big deal in that town, as was pro bowling.
    Last edited by Armybrat; 02-11-2021 at 08:39 PM.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

When i was a kid my grandfather used to watch it and roller derby. We would visit every sunday and he would have it on. Don't remember all the names but bruno sammartino and chief white owl were my favorites. After it was over we would wrestle for awhile. Was good bonding. Lost interest as i got older though. When i first moved to nc in 85 wrestling was a big thing. Ric flair, dusty rhodes, rock and roll express etc. Watched every sat morning for awhile but also got old and lost interest after a few months. Havn't watched it since.
    "If we ever forget we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." Ronald Reagan

Seems like my dad watched wrestling, I loved Roller Derby. We had a Roller Derby event at the local high school a few years back. It was a blast. They set up the rink in the gym. I went to park in my chair and they said it wasn't a good spot as they sometimes flew off the track and crashed there. Told them that's what I figured and thought I'd catch me a couple, some were mighty cute. Caught two or three too. Great fun.

Wife wouldn't let me bring none of them home though.....
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

My grandmother never missed a Friday night match back when TBS first came on the air as a UHF channel here in Atlanta....Between hot boxing Salems she would throw things at the TV if she thought the bad guy was cheating on her guy.....I remember Ric WHOOOOOOO “Nature Boy” Flair, Dusty Rhodes, Randy Savage, sometimes good guys, sometime bad guys tag team Mr. Wrestling 1 and 2 who always wore full head masks and were never seen without them and remember Andre the Giant all 7 foot 4 inch 520 pounds of him...Those were the days.......

If you enjoy the “Southpark” style of humor, one of the funniest episodes I ever saw was when Randy Savage decided to compete as transgender female athlete Heather Swanson in the “Strong Woman” contest....First time I saw this I think I wizzed myself laughing.....This is priceless and I understand that Joe Biden approves of this video

https://www.YouTube.com/watch?v=URz-RYEOaig

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Seems like my dad watched wrestling, I loved Roller Derby. We had a Roller Derby event at the local high school a few years back. It was a blast. They set up the rink in the gym. I went to park in my chair and they said it wasn't a good spot as they sometimes flew off the track and crashed there. Told them that's what I figured and thought I'd catch me a couple, some were mighty cute. Caught two or three too. Great fun.

Wife wouldn't let me bring none of them home though.....
    She's a catch and release kind of gal huh Colonel?

Anyone remember the San Francisco Bay Bombers back in the late 60's early 70's? That was some good roller derby! Watching the women's teams was just as fun as watching the men's.

Bobo Brazil, Haystacks Calhoun (he just sat on people), Pampero Firpo (he used a file to sharpen his teeth), The Sheik. Fun times. I grew up near Hamilton, ON. TV Wrestling was a big deal.

Rowdy Roddy Piper & Moondog Mayne!
    One of my favorite memories is when Moondog ate a goldfish (don't remember why - probably to demonstrate how he was gonna demolish his wimpy little opponent) - instead of just swallowing it, he chewed it (instant regret). Hilarious.

Speaking of goldfish, I worked with an equipment operator when I was doing construction. His crew would go out near everynight to drink. He's stop at a pet store and get a little bag of gold fish. According to him there were snorters, swallowers, and chewers.
    He'd go to a table and tell them for a pitcher of beer he'd suck the fish up his nose, show it to them on his tongue and spit it back in the glass. The rates went up if he sucked it up his nose, showed it on his tongue and then swallowed it.
    The crew would drink all night for the price of a small bag of gold fish.
    I never went on any of these expeditions but confirmed it with all the guys he worked with. Crazy.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by skiflydive View Post
    Bobo Brazil, Haystacks Calhoun (he just sat on people), Pampero Firpo (he used a file to sharpen his teeth), The Sheik. Fun times. I grew up near Hamilton, ON. TV Wrestling was a big deal.
    Firpo was hillarious..................they used to find stuff in his hair like bottle caps and cigarette butts and old gum.