Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beveled Prong

Default Beveled Prong

My K9’s slide isn’t as smooth running as my CM9’s. Also, there is sometimes a hangup about a quarter inch short of battery. That only happens during hand cycling, not actual live fire.

I hereby establish that the metal thingy pointing toward the muzzle, just under the slide, has the technical term of “prong.” Justin Moon may think it has some gun-engineering (gungineering?) technical name, but for this thread it’s a prong.

My CM9’s prong is beveled, my K9’s isn’t. Could that be hanging up my slide and making it rough to cycle?

The K9 has about 500 or more rounds through it, so I’d say it’s broken in.

Oh, also - the flange end of the K9’s guide rod is getting mangled. Seems like it shouldn’t be.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, SP101

The prong thingy whose description works perfectly in this context is the ejector. The case bangs into that prong thingy and consequently gets tossed out the ejection port, that hole on the right side of the slide.

I just took my K9 apart and my prong thingy looks exactly like yours. I think it's ok. I neglected to see if I noticed any hangup working the slide.

If memory serves my PM45's prong thingy is tapered a bit like your CM, heavy emphasis on if my memory is working.

Do you notice the hang up going into battery or coming out of battery.

I think your good to go, we'll have to investigate the hang up.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Comin’ and goin’, yes. Feels like driving on a road that needs new asphalt. In stark contrast to the glassy smooth trigger.

When I reassembled my K9 I worked the slide several times and detected a resistance about perhaps a 1/4'' before going into battery. Not really a hang up and not rough at all, just a resistance, like it's riding on something. I suspect it's something in the rear by your prong thingy. Like the cocking cam or something. Mine rides over it just fine but I to detect resistance.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Yes, I wondered if the cocking cam or other little fiddly bits was also dragging. I just want it to be the perfect little Swiss watch I envision it to be. The slide ought to glide smoothly like Nancy Kerrigan across the rink.

I just ordered a Lakeline guide rod after seeing it has a much thicker head, kinda like me.

Nobody gots a thicker head than me, what size hat you wear? I'm almost comfy in a 8. Usually 7 3/4 is tight.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

7 5/8. So with a thick skull you know my brain cavity size isn’t much to brag about.

In a recent post by Jr member wonmug he said this...

Bought a K9 back in 1998 -- still have it. When I first fired it, I had 1 out of 3 failures to return to battery;I returned the pistol to Kahr, They polished the ejector a bit and did some other tweaks. After that she behaved well.

When I read that post I thought, yeah, right, who would polish an ejector of all things. So now thinking maybe? This is a Kahr, after all. If it moves, polish it, if it doesn't move, polish it.

So, for reliability, let's all get a Flitzin' our ejectors.

Wife: “Whatch doin’, honey?”
    Husband: Just flitzin’ my ejector!”