Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: Polymer grip cracks?

Default Polymer grip cracks?

I once owned a CM9 that had what looked to be a crack or imperfection in the polymer on the grip. My 2003 PM9 does not have one. But my recently purchased PM45 does. It is similar to those in the pics I've attached. Is this just an artifact of the molding process and nothing to worry about? Or could they potentially result in separation over time?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I believe this came up before long long ago and it was associated with the molding process. That being said I would look it over close with good light and magnification and watch it close. As I recall it was nothing to worry about and of course worrying accomplishes nothing but never hurts to keep an eye on it.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I don't recall seeing it on my PM40 or P40 though I can't say for sure that they were free of it. But I'm noticing it quite a bit on guns that I look at on GB. I don't think it will be an issue since we don't seem to see any reports of it, or of any recalls. But it does strike me as odd.

That looks like a molding imperfection more so than a crack to me and it’s in a low stress area and shouldn’t cause a problem.....My PM9 doesn’t have that mold mark but every polymer frame is going to be slightly different....Frame cracks are a problem when they occur around a round hole like the mag release button or the slide stop hole or in a high stress area.....If you do a search here for “frame cracks” there are several good pictures of real cracks that would be a problem but I don’t think you need worry about your pistol but shoot it and keep an eye on it to see if it changes....

Thanks guys. Can't say I'm worried about it. I was never able to flex the grip on my CM9 and I never saw it worsen. I'm just a curious sort of person, and like to resolve "mysteries". They do seem to always appear in the spots shown in the picture, which more or less correspond to the diagonal strip on the grip where they leave the texture off in order to highlight the Kahr logo. So I guess it could have something to do with the molding process.

On a side note I sure do like my PM45. There's just something about carrying 6 or 7 big ole 230 grain boolets (hickok45's pronunciation), of self protection in such a small, clean, simple package that is comforting. Strangely (to me), even moreso than 10 or 15 of 9mm.

Well that's about the right math 15 or 20 9's equal 7 45's. Yeah, sounds about right.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

As a wise fellow once said, shoot it like you stole it....

That is just a parting line in the mold.
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...

Thanks Al