Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beretta FS Compact vs Sg 229

Default Beretta FS Compact vs Sg 229

Any thoughts on Beretta FS Compact vs Sg 229? I have a several Sigs and see a local store has a great sale coming up on the Beretta [$399]. I am happy with the Sig, but would the Beretta carry better concealed? They both hold 15 rounds [the Beretta with the flush MecCar mags].
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

Berettas (most of them), including the Compact are fine guns. I've owned several. But the heft and length of them including the Compact has pushed me away from them. The Compact is 7.75" in length compared to the 7.1" of the 229. Length matters to me for CC more than height, where both of them are comparable.

The grips on both are about the same though the Compact is a bit more of a handful, for me. The Compact only holds 10 or 13 with the factory mags depending on which State they are sold in. The 229 holds 10 or 15 from the factory, though both can be upgraded, as you mentioned concerning the Compact.

I have a Beretta Cougar that is still the gun that fits the best in my hand and the my 229 Legion is almost identical in size. The Cougar grip is about the same size as a Compact but its 7" length helps to balance it out better, imo.

At the end of the day I would not hesitate to carry either a Compact or a 229 and trust my life to each of them. They are both fine weapons, though the grip and heft of both makes it harder for people with less than average hands to get a good purchase on. I've got medium to large mitts myself and both fill my grip.

Thanks....I forgot about the Cougar. I used to have one of those. It is that the FS price caught my attention.

Beretta 92FS Compact
    $399.99 SALE
    SAVE $200
    Va
    DESCRIPTION

9mm.

PRODUCT FEATURES

• Caliber - 9mm
    • Action - DA/SA, semi-auto
    • Black finish
    • Fixed sights
    • Safety - manual/decocker
    • Barrel - 4.25 in
    • Overall length - 7.75 in
    • Weight - 31.6 oz
    • Includes (2) 13-rounds magazines
    • Weight: Approximately: 7.5 pounds
    • Shipping Dimensions: Approximately 7.3 x 2.5 x 2.5 inches.

lid November 25, 2020 - November 28, 2020
    Last edited by jeepster09; 11-15-2020 at 02:50 PM.
    "Life Member NRA"

We had a Cougar for one of the female detectives at the dept years and years ago. I like it a lot.

I wouldn't mind having one of those compacts myself. We had 92's and 96's for years which we has zero trouble with but I just didn't care for the size I guess. Nice lines and a good looking gun.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I'm a bit biased towards the Beretta. Both are fine firearms. Both have always been a bit fat in the grip dept. for me. I've owned many 92's and 96's. I've also owned an 84FS and a Cougar. The FS and the Cougar are also nice firearms. Owned a few Sig's. I still think that the lines of the 92 make it one of the nicest looking handguns made. I'm on the hunt for a Compact Custom Carry model myself, but at todays prices, just a dream at present. I prefer the decock location on the Sig's, but like the looks, grip, trigger, and operation of the Beretta's. A spring change and you've got a doable carry trigger. $399 is a really good price.
    Last edited by berettabone; 11-15-2020 at 04:20 PM.

Well the Browning 22 is also on sale....I think I will try and have some self control and only buy the 22.

Browning Buckmark Micro Bull
    $229.99 FINAL PRICE
    TOTAL SAVINGS $100
    Valid November 25, 2020 - November 28, 2020

DESCRIPTION

.22 LR. 101526269 Items advertised with rebates are subject to the conditions & limits established by the manufacturer. TOTAL SAVINGS

PRODUCT FEATURES

• Barrel length - 4 in
    • Overall length - 8 in
    • Magazine capacity - 10
    • Sight radius - 6-1/2 in
    • Matte black barrel and receiver finish
    • Pro-target front and rear sight
    • Barrel material - steel
    • Textured grip panels
    • 4 in matte blued bull barrel
    • UFX rubber overmolded grips
    • 16-click adjustable Pro-Target rear sight
    • Includes two magazines, pistol rug
    • Weight: Approximately: 2.5 pounds
    • Shipping Dimensions: Approximately 15 x 7.75 x 2.5 inches.

"Life Member NRA"

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    We had a Cougar for one of the female detectives at the dept years and years ago. I like it a lot.

I wouldn't mind having one of those compacts myself. We had 92's and 96's for years which we has zero trouble with but I just didn't care for the size I guess. Nice lines and a good looking gun.
    She had a COUGAR or was a COUGAR......
    "Life Member NRA"

Was. Actually both.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

If you don't have a .22lr pistol, I'd go for it. I really like the 22/45 I picked up years ago.

I own an M9 and shot a P229 in 40 (ended up getting an M2.0 FS 40 instead). For CC I would probably get the P229 for carry if I had to chose between the two you listed, unless the grip length was more of a concern. That being said, I prefer shooting the Beretta (at least the FS... no experience shooting the compact or Centurion), and have the LTT Centurion on my radar. Have you handled the 92 Compact? The 92's grip is relatively short already (measured underneath the beavertail) and the Compact grip feels very different in hand (I noticed the shortness of the grip when handling... although maybe that's because it was the 92x compact which has a sharper corner with the flat grips installed). I didn't notice the shortness of the grip when shooting the P229... although I did notice the higher bore axis

Back to the OP, I know you are familiar with all the "levers" on the Sig and in a SHTF situation, Black Levers Matter.
    I suspect you are looking for something new so ever consider the Sig M11a1? Great gun and you will have nothing to re-learn.

Last edited by 340pd; 11-18-2020 at 12:33 PM.
    "Never pet a burning dog"