CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Magazine issue real or imagined?

Default Magazine issue real or imagined?

New P380 owner with FTF issues and first 150 rounds (break-in)

While investigating Kahr P380 issues regarding magazine design on my Kahr as well as other handguns. I found several videos and explanations that as you load the mag to capacity, the first couple of rounds out of the gun tend to jam more frequently due to the angle at which the round leaves the mag. Specifically it 'Nose dives' due to the spring applying unequal force on the follower. Is this a real problem with specific guns or is it the normal way in which all rounds from all mags for all pistols leave the mag? Many vids on this a potential problem with multiple ideas of fixing the design flaws if you have a FTF issue. PS: I will report back after my next 100 rounds and will try to buy Winchester 95 grain next time, which I read may be helpful due to a thinner brass case. What ammo works best for you? Do I need hotter ammo during the 'break in'?
    Thanking you all in advance, Bill
    PS: See my first post asking questions about reasons for FTF

I don't own a Kahr 380, but in my CW40 I had issues with Fiocchi ammo due to rim thickness. Failure to feed. I worked on the extractor a bit, now it feeds everything reliably. I believe I learned of this mod by reading the threads of issues others had with their Kahr 380s.

Also, I have found that handloads on the lighter side of things don't feed reliably in my Kahr but they do in my Glock. I just switched all the recipes to loads more on the upper end and the issue went away.

Thanks Ken L. I too have reviewed those extractor mods and read that using a higher load cartridge may help. Yes, I read that rim thickness has been cited a problem. Also, that unless the slide gets 'blown' back with enough force, the next round may not feed properly, hence the use of a higher load round.

I don't own a Kahr .380, but did own a 9mm. As has been discussed in the past, what I discovered with Fiocchi ammo is that not only can there be ammo rim thickness issues, but they can be measurably longer as a whole than many other manufacturers ammunition. I don't have exact length numbers but I didn't need them. I could see the difference with the naked eye. IMHO, I believe that the added length could have caused a few issues that I had concerning feeding and getting caught nose first under the bottom of the feed ramp. Just a FYI. Also found that it was always better to run a stout ammo. Those springs are tight.

Kahr 380s are hit or miss. They seem to be more hit than miss lately but if you got a dud I would send it back.

IMO - multiple failures with multiple magazines equals dud.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

I agree, send it back on their dime and give Kahr a chance at making it right for you and when it comes back if it’s not 100% trade it for something else you can trust your life with....Good luck

I am not sure the guns reported as duds are really that. Just do not buy into it. I think the problem comes down to two things. Proper Break in and limp wresting. Many People swear they do not do this but they do, have seen it so many times over the years. I had a guy at the range give the same complaints and I asked him if he would let let take it home. Took it home and gave it back running fine. There are some sticky's on how to break one in so I will not go into detail. But the first thing IMO is the magazines. They are high quality and they are strong. I load them to full capacity and let them take a"SET" for 48 hrs. Then take a Wooden dowel and Exercise the Spring up and down. The same with the Recoil spring. Rack it and let it take a "SET" for 48 hrs. Then just racking he slide over and over while watching TV etc.
    I also have been shooting these small guns for so long and have seen people limp wrest them so many times. Especially when knew. These guns have very Tight Tolerences and will not tolerate limp wresting, especially when NEW. I have seen this with not only Kahr but other small 380's and some Micro 9mm's. And then just shoot them. Hot ammo to start off with. Some people will not want to hear this, but If times were normal and a gun came back from Kahr and the owner still complained, I would not hesitate to buy it from the owner in I was in the Market for another one.
    I love shooting Pocket guns in 380, it is a hobby I stated over 10 years ago with the LCP first came out. Shoot them on a regular basis each month and a whole lot of rounds. Belong to a small group that meets once a month to have informal matches. If you can have patience there is a good chance that you will have one of the finest small 380's ever made.

This 380 Kahr ran perfectly on the first day at the range and spending a good time with Pre Break in. and using older magazines. 200 rounds of mixed ammo on this day. PS for magazines, until they are broken in well, shoot them loaded minus one round each
    time at the range until you know they are broken in.

I also have seen many many people limp wrist small firearms. I was guilty of it the first time I shot an MK. When/If you're used to shooting handguns that are "less temperamental" it can be quite a shock that your new firearm isn't running well. Many shooters just DO NOT KNOW that their wrist is breaking down. Shooters with weaker hand or wrist strength have issues. Probably shouldn't own a Kahr. My wife's LCP II runs like a champ and is surprisingly accurate. She has wrist strength issues, so a Kahr wasn't in the cards. Once you get the concentration level correct as far as grip, and get used to these small guns, they are a riot to shoot.

Good advice posted here on break in process and grip technique. None of that changes the fact that Kahr’s reputation for 380 problems is well-deserved.

Full disclosure:

I owned a CW380 that was a dud right out of the box. Sent it back to Kahr and it still didn’t work right when they sent it back.

I currently own a CT380 that is a gem.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    I also have seen many many people limp wrist small firearms. I was guilty of it the first time I shot an MK. When/If you're used to shooting handguns that are "less temperamental" it can be quite a shock that your new firearm isn't running well. Many shooters just DO NOT KNOW that their wrist is breaking down. Shooters with weaker hand or wrist strength have issues. Probably shouldn't own a Kahr. My wife's LCP II runs like a champ and is surprisingly accurate. She has wrist strength issues, so a Kahr wasn't in the cards. Once you get the concentration level correct as far as grip, and get used to these small guns, they are a riot to shoot.

I bought the LCP when it was first on the Market. That generation had a very long trigger pull, DAO. The only time I had issues was when I was limp wristing the gun. Keeping at it and shooting it often corrected the issue and the gun ran reliably from then on. (actually I ran it reliably). They they came out with the second Generation which was a much better DAO and of course i had no issues. The latest generation now has a light short trigger like a lot of striker fired guns.
    I believe the issue with the small guns and the DAO trigger causes those that are not trained with it to pull the gun down which further induces Limp Wristing.
    I do not believe a gun sent back to Kahr and then returned is always the gun's fault, but again in most cases just limp wristing again. Kahr checks out the gun, it shoots fine, they send it back after doing some minor work and the owner does the same thing and limp wrest the gun yet again and bashes it.
    Not saying there are not some real issues but I believe them to be a very small percentage, but that is true with all guns.

Face it, most owners of small 380 do not get a lot of range time like they should. Especially with a DAO pistol.
    The internet is full of these kind of remarks about a gun with a history of this or that. One example is the LCR9mm. All kinds of post that the gun would constantly jump crimp when shot. That also turned out to be just internet BS. Yes, on some cheap ammo, but about 6,000 rds later proved to me and others that it was just that, BS.

In fact the guy behind the Counter at my Local LG,now a manager advised me to not buy the gun as it would jump crimp. Now all these years later, I make it a point to go see him on my way out from the range to tell him how thankful I am that he encouraged me to buy the gun as It is one of favorites to shoot and runs like a sewing machine. He just looks at me like a deer with his eyes caught in the head lights.