Mitch Rosen   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Magazine issue real or imagined?

jump crimp?

Thank you all for you comments and advice. I went to the range yesterday and ran another 100 rounds (Blazer 95 grain) through it. [Caveat: I am a new shooter.] Two days prior to heading out I (1) cleaned the gun and lubed/oiled it. (2) I cycled the slide a hundred more times and also dry fired it it a bunch. (3) I loaded the mags completely and let them sit for two days and also worked the mag follower down to the bottom repeatedly to work the spring. (4) I locked the slide back and let it sit overnight. (5) I cycled a round from a mag with only 5 bullets ,slowly, and noted the first one would rise while entering the battery. (6) This, to me, would tend to tilt the bullet in such a way that would be the opposite of 'nosediving'. I also noted that it would drag the following bullet out of the mag a little bit. (7) I did read that it is not uncommon to do so and why it happens. (8) At the range I cycled the first bullet using with the slide locked back and into battery using the slide release as recommended by Kahr. (9) I never had a FTF on the first round. (10) I used all three mags. (11) I had less FTF issued than my first time with the gun earlier in the week. [Read my very first post about FTF issues] (12) The FTF issues I had yesterday were on the 2nd to 5th round. This occurred intermittently with all mags used. (13) The issue was 'nose diving' and able to clear the jam by simply pulling the slide back and releasing it each time, successfully. (14) I paid close attention to maintaining a straight, stiff wrist and strong grip and a gentle pull on the trigger to maintain my aim. (15) This time at the range, all of my shots were well to the left and low of my aim compared to the first time several days ago. I thought for a moment that I altered the factory set of the sites with all of exercising the slide back (100's of times) prior to range day. I APPRECIATE all of the advice including sending it back to Kahr, however I would want to cycle at least 300 rounds through it first. I am up to around 200 rounds now. Any additional advice from all of you is still appreciated. Any further thoughts>?

It is very common to pull low left for right handed shooters with a double action trigger pull. It has to do with the hand moving, albeit slightly as the trigger is pulled all the way to the rear.

Some Kahrs take more break-in, others not so much. It sounds like you have done all the necessary things to get yours to that point. If you are absolutely sure you are not limp-wristing you have a couple/few of options before sending it in. Try some different mags (and number each for id later). And have someone else shoot the gun, preferably somebody that is not also a new shooter. Also, keep track of what ammo it is doing this with. Some guns just will not work with a specific brand, or type of ammo, (eg hollow point vs. ball), while others will eat everything you feed it.

I would suggest sticking with it. You still have a bit more investigation to do. Good luck!

What he said^^^ Low and left will improve with trigger time. Already sounds like things are improving a bit.
    I'm not sure of the power level of Blazer in 380, I've had no issue with it in 9 and 45 but new Kahrs to seem to thrive on full power ammo to make things run. They will run the rest after things work themselves out.

Dragging a round out a bit with the top round is pretty common on all makes, not really a concern there.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Bawanna and DAO...Thank you for your input. I will try to locate hotter ammo. All I have used is the 95 grain Blazer FMJ. Now, finding any ammo here in S. Calif is difficult let alone finding 100 grain 380, but I will try. I need to stick with it as you say, before I send it back, which I don't want to do. Next time at the range I will find another shooter to fire it. Also I was aware that my left low shots are my fault due to trigger pull. BTW my targets were at 6 or 7 yards. I'll keep working on it. I still think my grip is good as I control the recoil well and able to get my next shot targeted quickly. BTW - I do own and shoot my Springfield XDM-OSP 4.5 with a 19 round mag and a modified trigger (3.5 lb pull) and a red dot sight fairly well, but by no means expert or even close, but I can hit what i am aiming for.

Welcome to the club of "no means expert or even close" shooters I've been a member for a long, long time. Also like you, I'm happy that I can hit what I'm aiming at though!

I have a cw380 nd 2 P380s (one is a girlfriends) The CW had some issues until I did the new Kahr Prep. Since then I have had no issues. I did the Prep on the Ps and never had an issue. I shot a bunch of Blazer through the CW after break in and never had a problem with it. With the CW I shot Winchester white box and some Remington ball during break in. I had the same low left problem at first, but I have worked through it now. During the prep I also polished the bottom of the stripper ramp as I felt that it might drag over the round in the Mag as the slide when back. I also cleaned and lubed the mags with silicone spray. You might try useing a bit of 600 grit to sand the inside of the mag where the holes are for checking load level.

dustnchips...thanks for your response. I'm glad to hear that Blazer worked for you. I will sand the inside of the mag, clean and lube as you say. I will also polish the bottom of the stripper ramp and keep you all posted as soon as I can find 380 ammo here

Blazer ammo is on the weak side for sure. Shot lots of it in 9mm and .40.

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    Blazer ammo is on the weak side for sure. Shot lots of it in 9mm and .40.
    On the weak side of what? Both AL and brass (95gr bullet) are 945fps muzzle velocity.

Is the opposite of weak, strong? What do you consider a strong round in this calibre? Within SAAMI pressure specifications.