Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May Purchase Very Old K9..Any Specific Areas of Concern?

Default May Purchase Very Old K9..Any Specific Areas of Concern?

Hello Folks,

I have seen some good deals every now and again on very old K9's. I called Kahr today asking whether parts sold today will fit the older K9's. They have yet to get back to me. My concern is if something should break or need repair, will I be able to replace a worn out or broken part with something Kahr currently sells? Also, any other concerns with the older K9's? (I saw a nice K9 that had nickel plating. Pics looked good but auction rules state no returns). Am I to assume that unless a K9 is marked as having the NYPD trigger, (travel 1/2" instead of 3/8"), it should have the same trigger as manufactured today? Lastly, will aftermarket parts such as the Lakeline grips work on the very old K9's?

Thanks to all who respond,

-Dave

The older Kahrs are very nice, robust and reliable pistols. The original nickel plated ones are somewhat rare and IMHO desirable.

The standard trigger on all early K9s was the longer pull, later came be called the NYPD after a number of trade-in K9s hit the market. The shorter pull trigger was introduced in the 1998 Elite model and hence that trigger became known as the "elite trigger". At that time the standard K9 trigger remained the longer pull. I don't recall the year precisely but around 2013 or so Kahr switched the triggers so that the "elite" trigger became the standard and the longer pull was separately labeled on the box "NYPD".

Differences between an old K9 and a modern K9 include a altered trigger bar and different dove tail cuts in the slide. The Kahr website explains the sight dove tail differences. Grip panels should fit from either era. The early frames were flat above the trigger guard and later model sport a sculpted cut along the top of the slide. A visual not mechanical change. There are probably other design changes but I can't recall others.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

The ejector was different on the early K9, and IIRC, that part is no longer available from Kahr. Judging from my own high-mileage early K9, that probably isn't going to be an issue. Has anyone ever broken one? I agree - the nickel version is highly desireable.

I have an older SS K9 with the older style dove tail sights (bought new around 20 years ago). IIRC, my older K9's barrel (and therefore slide) is around 1/5" shorter than the newer ones. Also, IIRC, Kahr offers a service to cut the old slide to fit the newer barrel if desired. I don't notice any difference between the trigger on my K9 compared to the other newer Kahr's I purchased over the last two years. I thought that the NY trigger was also very heavy, but I have no experience with it.

The grips should be the same as the newer K9's, and the newer mags function fine as well. If you're new to Kahr, you might notice some wiggle on the K9's slide to frame fit. It tightens up with rounds in the magazine.

The only issue I think I read in a magazine back when I bought the firearm was that the black version might show signs of rust easier. I think the author said it less nicely... IIRC it was Massad Ayoob. However, he seemed to be a fan of the gun.

[QUOTE=Scott321;422677]I have an older SS K9 with the older style dove tail sights (bought new around 20 years ago). IIRC, my older K9's barrel (and therefore slide) is around 1/5" shorter than the newer ones.

1/5" is appx the size of a frozen pea.

No not really the same size
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by DJK11 View Post
    No not really the same size
    Looks close, but I think you are measuring the pea apogee. Find the smallest diameter, then average the two numbers. Should be 1/5".

That is the smallest pea of the sampling.

Ok then, we can conclude that the barrel of an old K9 is 230 thou shorter than the barrel in a modern contempory K9.

That's significant.

But the frozen pea is .323