Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new

Thread: Traveling from Alabama to New York and firearm restrictions?

Default Traveling from Alabama to New York and firearm restrictions?

Hello Everyone,
    We will be taking a trip from my state of Alabama through Kentucky and then up to New York. Can anyone tell me the rules of the road so to speak as we travel through and visit various states?

Most of the states we will be traveling through recognize my conceal carry license (reciprocity) with the exception of New York, Maryland, New Jersey and DC. I mean am I allowed to keep a loaded pistol in my vehicle while visiting or passing through these states or must I remove the bullets and store them and the firearm in different compartments? Are hollow points allowed or must I have fmj's in my firearm? Am I allowed to remove the firearm from my vehicle to bring it into the hotel we may stay at?

Thanks,
    Ralph

Hollow points in NJ are an absolute no go! 1 can get you arrested. Each of these states is SUPPOSED to recognize FOPA regulations for transport (i.e. gun locked away in 1 box, empty magazine in another, and ammo separate and no stopping... travel straight through state), but NYC is notoriously unforgiving, and has been known to arrest people passing through, even though they are following FOPA to the letter. Your best bet is looking up rules and regulations on each state and municipalities website. ... actually, your best bet is avoiding those 4 states...lol

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Here's a link on NRA about FOPA. Regardless of what it says, DO NOT get caught in NYC with a gun... period... and WATCH YOUR MAGAZINE CAPACITY!!!

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...rports.672879/

That's a thread on a forum about NY not recognizing FOPA. Just Google FOPA and New York... you'll find tens if not hundreds of horror stories.

Like was said stay out of NJ with a gun. You’ll so straight to jail. And the fact your from AL will probably add to it. I currently live in AL and lived in NJ years ago and hope I never go back. Have no interest in anyplace north of VA and the farther south the better.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Quote Originally Posted by jodyisaacs View Post
    Here's a link on NRA about FOPA. Regardless of what it says, DO NOT get caught in NYC with a gun... period... and WATCH YOUR MAGAZINE CAPACITY!!!

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...rports.672879/

That's a thread on a forum about NY not recognizing FOPA. Just Google FOPA and New York... you'll find tens if not hundreds of horror stories.

I have no idea why those states like NY & NJ have been allowed to ignore federal law all these years. Disgraceful antiAmerican conduct to say the least.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Why would anybody want to leave Alabama? Especially to go to New York.......
    There's a mass exodus from Washington State but I totally get that, near as bad as New York.

Probably too late in the game for me but I'd be headed out myself, trying to decide the best state that would accept me.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Why would anybody want to leave Alabama? Especially to go to New York.......
    There's a mass exodus from Washington State but I totally get that, near as bad as New York.

Probably too late in the game for me but I'd be headed out myself, trying to decide the best state that would accept me.
    Only place to leave Alabama for is Tennessee. I’m looking in the east mountains now and land is reasonable but building material cost are through the roof due to COVID and hurricanes. Trying to find something for a good value but everyone wants for their house the same markup as ammo has lately. Got to keep looking though. I’m gonna find something and disappear.....
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

If it were me I would leave the gun at home in the safe because the laws in N.Y. and N.J. are just plain nuts.....This incident happened a few years back but you can Google Greg Revell vs N.J. Port Authority and read the whole sad story......Long story short, Mr. Revell booked a flight from Salt Lake City to Allentown Pa. with stops on the way in Minneapolis and unfortunately for Greg, Newark N.J. Where due to a late connection flight he was stuck in Newark until the next day when the first connecting flight to Allentown was available so he took his luggage and spent the night in a Newark airport hotel (sounds like fun) next morning when he got to the airline counter and checked his luggage he advised the agent there was a lock box containing a handgun in his bag as he was required to do they reported it to the TSA who alerted N.J. Port Authority Police who immediately arrested Mr. Revell because he was in possession of a handgun without a valid N.J. pistol permit even though it wasn’t his fault he was in Newark in the first place, it was the airlines fault BUT it didn’t matter and Greg Revell spent the next 10 days in jail and it took 3 years to get his pistol back and I think it took the Supreme Court to settle the case.....I guess the morel of this sad story is, don’t take a gun north of the Carolinas because they are crazy from there on up and common sense doesn’t seem to exist.....