Xssights   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I think Kahr is done

Default I think Kahr is done

I bought my first Kahr when the P9 first hit the market. At the time, it was groundbreaking. There were no polymer-framed, striker fired, single-stack 9mms on the market. This is years before the Shield and a decade before the G43. Kel-Tec may have had something, but come on.

Now, not only were there plenty of single stack option, multiple makers have followed SIG and developed ultracompact 10 round pistols.

It was bad enough when SIG brought out the P365, but now we also have the Springfield Hellcat, the Shield Plus, and the Ruger Max 9. The last two are going to sell like hotcakes, if history is any indication. It won't be long before Smith gets production ramped up and one can buy a Shield Plus for just over $300. Same for the Ruger Max 9.

And where is Kahr? Nowhere to be seen. If I was a new gun buyer, and I had a choice of a CM9 and a pistol just a tad thicker that carried four more rounds in the mag, it's a no-brainer.

Don't get me wrong. I love my Kahr pistols. I think my steel Kahrs are some of the finest production pistols on the market. The MK9 is a little jewel. But Kahr can't possibly sell very many of them.

I wouldn’t dismiss Keltec so fast, they’re innovating more every month than Kahr is every decade, and selling like hotcakes for over MSRP. They had a small 11-rounder way before the 365 Hellmax Pluses came along, but recently discontinued it. I expect they have a replacement in the works.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, CZ75

Kel-Tec is a company which has no problem innovating, then builds their firearms out of the worst materials and to the lowest quality they can. That's their business model, and I can't fault them for it, but they just feel cheap to me.

I agree. I can’t imagine that Kahr sells many of their polymer 9s. I think it’s too late for them to catch up and they may eventually stop producing them.

They’re still competitive in the micro 380 market but who knows how long that will last.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Makes me wonder what Justin Moon has been thinking lately. It is hard to imagine him sitting on his laurels this long.

I’ve waited long enough for a small Kahr double stack like the Sig to no avail, and now intend to acquire a Ruger Max-9.... or two.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

I have no desire,want or need for a double stack, Practical EDC gun. 15 1/2 oz is plenty of weight as it is. Perfect size for a 9mm all day. every day carry carry. Would love to see Kahr make a even lighter weight that shoots as fine as the Kahr. I cannot see any reason to say Kahr is Done. On the contrary. How about we see the other manufacturers step up to the plate and produce a gun that weighs the same or less and the same size and shoots as fine as the Kahr CM/PM and with a great DAO. .

Well, at least they have one customer.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

I agree that Kahr might benefit from some good suggestions we've made here, but I'm not going to badmouth them. They make a good product that seems to sell well, the rest is their business, not mine.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, CZ75

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Well, at least they have one customer.

Yep and one for life. I have no desire to run off and spend $600 for a heavier gun. Lol, it gets so bad that I have to carry extra rounds more than 7, I will just carry two Kahrs, one on each side. At least they way will have a balanced load and heck 14 rounds. It was interesting to see two Major gun forums do a survey poll with all their members. 99% had never even used the EDC. Amd the small percentage that had, had not shot more than one round, and a minuscule of that percentage used more than one round. There are MORE than just Kahr's that has not jumped onto to the internet band wagon of Double Stack magazines for more rounds. Yes, you can go to the range and for sure, many do need more, by the way they shoot. Maybe spray and Pray is a good tactic. Not for me. Prefer to focus on the first round and drawing fast. and then double taps etc
    I guess the new fad of cramming more rounds into a firearm will go on for a while in the future. Maybe 380's will Like the Kahr etc. will retain the same size but have more. Personally not interested. But, for those that believe they really need more rounds and have $600 to spend (and that is a lot of ammo, that could be used for training) I say go for it. And why just 10-13? My gosh, why not 17?
    But to say a gun manufacture is going out of business or becoming obsolete is IMO ridiculous. Their is real life and there is the internet.

I don’t think Kahr is done by a long shot. I’d just like to have them make a compact double stack 9.
    I’m a bad shot (poor eyesight).
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling