Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun

Thread: Kahr 380 or G42

Default Kahr 380 or G42

Trying to decide between the two.

I like the smaller size of the CW for pocket carry, both get good reviews. I have a G26 & G43 so I’m use to the Glock platform. Looked at the P380 but can’t see paying that much more when the CW is half the price.

size wise, how is the CT compared to the 42 ?

I like the looks of all 3 Kahr 380’s, more so than the Glock.

Looking for the best concealable choice

Here ya go:

Kahr CW380 vs CT380 size comparison | Handgun Hero

Glock G42 vs Kahr CT380 size comparison | Handgun Hero

G42 is slightly longer and heavier than the CT 380, but is shorter in height for holding one fewer round. Over the years Kahr seem to have ironed issues with the slide release and the extractor on their 380s. I think the weakest link right now is the magazine: the factory follower + spring combo MAY cause nose-diving jams. I have replaced all my 380 magazine inserts with Maggut kits.

Edit: added some details.
    Last edited by MahrLalk; 03-31-2021 at 02:40 PM.

I have a CW380 and then bought two P380s when they were on sale. One for me and one for the GF. All three have been excellent and I would not buy a P over the CW at the regular price. I got the P380s at $300 each with three mags. At the time cheaper than buying a CW with two mags. I love the size and convenience of the guns and shoot them out to 25 yards on occasion. On a video Hickock 45 hit a gong at 80 yards with one. I don't own any glocks so I have nothing to say about them except that there has to be a reason they are so popular. Go where you can hold them both and even better try to get a chance to shoot both and then make your decision. I have mag guts in two six rounds mags and they work perfectly. I have two six and one seven round stock mags and they work perfectly.

If I wanted the option to pocket carry, hands down it’s the Kahr.

If I planned to belt carry I would consider the Glock (even though I’ve never held one) as a bigger gun is likely to be easier to shoot. I would also wait a month or so and consider the soon to be available Sig P365 in 380. Similar size to the G42 but twice the capacity.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

I did not know that. The Sig 365 in 380? Was hoping they would make it in 45 myself.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

First time responded here! Love all the talk about the p380. Anyways I’ve had about a dozen pocket guns. The lightest one is the P380/Cw380. For 9.9ounces you can’t go wrong. I wanted the Glock42, Kimber Micro 380. But those are 3-5 ounces heavier unloaded. Doesn’t sound like much but it is. I wear gym shorts and sweatpants everyday and the P380 in a Nemesis holster is perfect. I have been eyeballing the LCP Max but then again your adding 4-6 rounds of extra weight. The Shield (my winter gun) the Sig365, Hellcat, Glock43,size guns are just to heavy and bulky. Just my thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Keebz View Post
    First time responded here! Love all the talk about the p380. Anyways I’ve had about a dozen pocket guns. The lightest one is the P380/Cw380. For 9.9ounces you can’t go wrong. I wanted the Glock42, Kimber Micro 380. But those are 3-5 ounces heavier unloaded. Doesn’t sound like much but it is. I wear gym shorts and sweatpants everyday and the P380 in a Nemesis holster is perfect. I have been eyeballing the LCP Max but then again your adding 4-6 rounds of extra weight. The Shield (my winter gun) the Sig365, Hellcat, Glock43,size guns are just to heavy and bulky. Just my thoughts
    I personally think you made a great choice, due to the reasons you’ve stated, as well as others. I’ve owned a few Glocks ( 3 - 43’s, 2-43 x, 2 -26’s, 2 -19’s, a 44, a 17 and a few others which I forget) and feel they were fine running guns. I have never had a G42 and would not attempt to. I have read too many stories, even from those that are “Glock boys”, or Glock fans about unreliability. I know the same can be said about Khar’s, but being in the know I attribute that to lack of knowledge on how to break one in, or the known extractor issues in some of the .380’s. The G42 stories I’ve read about were often unresolved, even after a factory send back and even in the hands of those that are competent.

I would like to know why you’ve had multiples of the same guns! Haha. Kinda sounds like what I do, buy, sell,regret, rebuy or trade. The older I get I’ve thinned down the collection a lot. I feel the Kahr P380 is just the right weight combination to always have it in my pocket. Like you’ve said,we’ve read and reviewed these Kahrs that others absolutely hate. I’ve found the ammo mine loves and just stuck with it. I’ve also read peoples reviews on $1000 Kimbers and theyve said sucked but mine were tack drivers. I wanna give the 42 a try just on the feel for it. Also the LCP Max feels really nice too, but I seen a brand new one behind the case and it looked like the finish was rusting. A big no no for me.I’ve also thrown a Hogue grip on my P380 and makes the thing feel awesome.

QUOTE=BirdsThaWord;426219]I personally think you made a great choice, due to the reasons you’ve stated, as well as others. I’ve owned a few Glocks ( 3 - 43’s, 2-43 x, 2 -26’s, 2 -19’s, a 44, a 17 and a few others which I forget) and feel they were fine running guns. I have never had a G42 and would not attempt to. I have read too many stories, even from those that are “Glock boys”, or Glock fans about unreliability. I know the same can be said about Khar’s, but being in the know I attribute that to lack of knowledge on how to break one in, or the known extractor issues in some of the .380’s. The G42 stories I’ve read about were often unresolved, even after a factory send back and even in the hands of those that are competent.[/QUOTE]