Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace

Thread: New member in Bellingham WA with slide lock question

Default New member in Bellingham WA with slide lock question

I love my CW380. Gun has been working flawlessly since replacing the recoil spring and magazine and following the prep to shoot tips on this message board about 500 or so rounds ago - I was having all sorts of feeding problems prior to those fixes.

Suddenly the slide has stopped locking back after the last shot.

What are the most likely cause(s) to investigate first? New mag? Slide lock spring?

Thanks!
    SavageFunk

I’ve had issues with the slide lock spring on both my CM9 and my CT380. In both cases the spring had moved a little it and just needed to be reoriented into the right position. Greg and Bawanna were very helpful with this issue. There’s a rather long thread on it somewhere.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Welcome to the forum Funk. I hope the info provided was all that you needed? Great forum you’ve joined, but I think you can already see that by the offered help. Post us up some Kahr shooting stuff when you can!

You might have inserted the slide stop wrong. Slip it in a little lower than the spring and rotate up as you snap it in so that the spring end is on top of the stop. There's an illustration in the manual. Another possibility is the screw holding the slide stop spring can be too tight or too loose. Try adjusting just a bit.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

Is your CW new? What did you replace the recoil spring with? Part from Kahr? Did you modify your magazine or buy a new one?

Thanks for all of these suggestions!

Here's what I did and where I'm at now - the problem seems to be fixed.

Cleaned and oiled the gun again - I'm obsessed with keeping it clean it really seems to help it function.

Cleaned the inside of the mag - pretty dirty in there and I had not done that and had put probably 500+ rounds through it.

Checked the slide stop screw and it wasn't loose, I didn't check to see if it was too tight. which I still may do if the problem happens again.

Put it back together and made sure the slide lock spring was sitting on top as it should - yes.

Took it to the range and it locked open fine after my first 6 shots, so I mistakenly thought that the problem was solved....reloaded 6 more and it wouldn't lock open again.

At this point I put in a brand new magazine from Kahr - it ran fine for 3 full magazines worth of precious ammo so I called it good. I'm going with the new magazine resolving the problem until further notice. I plan to put a new follower and spring in the old mag and eventually test that one again too.

I bought the gun used and almost gave up on it with all of the feeding problems it was having initially of which most of them were resolved after putting in a new recoil spring from Kahr - knock on wood.

Thanks!
    SavageFunk

And now after 3 more mags with the new Mag all 3 failed to lock back. I'd like to replace the slide stop but cant find a new one on the kahr parts page, any other sources? I'm thinking a new slide stop spring too.
    Thanks
    SavageFunk

I suspect the slide stop spring just needs adjusting. It probably is out of alignment. There's a thread here someplace that shows how to set it properly.

Attachment in post 3 this thread, then post # 4 shows the slide release spring orientation.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I suspect the slide stop spring just needs adjusting. It probably is out of alignment. There's a thread here someplace that shows how to set it properly.

Attachment in post 3 this thread, then post # 4 shows the slide release spring orientation.
    Thanks! I will try that. Is there supposed to be a groove on the slide stop ledge where the tail of the spring sits? There is a groove on mine and I can't find a good picture of the ledge on a new one....guessing the groove is supposed to be there.