CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This bugs me a little...

The problem with the original rifle design was not the engineering but was the very dirty ammo provided to front line troops.....The rifle was sold to the troops as self cleaning and not needing field cleaning which got a lot of soldiers killed because their rifles jammed up in combat....Later ammo was of a different powder and cleaner burning which didn’t clog up the rifle.....All firearms need to be cleaned and maintained even on the battlefield but once better, cleaner burning ammo became available the problems with the AR rifles went away.....

Quote Originally Posted by 340pd View Post
    AR stands for ArmaLite rifle. The design goes back to the 1950's.
    This ^
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

An interesting design. The caliber was not the best for use in jungle warfare as dense foliage would deflect the lightweight bullet. Troop training was poor and the spray and pray method was way overused. Positives, a troop could carry a lot of ammo. Negatives, the troop shot way too fast and wasted most of what they carried.

I was in a tank battalion the Army Reserves somewhat pre-Nam and trained with an M1, M1 carbine, M14 during basic training, and issued a 45 sidearm. During my time on an active Army base, I never saw troops training with an AR. I never shot one until the early 1990's at an outdoor range. Built one in 2015 with my 12 year old grandson just because obama told me I could not have one and the next president Hillary Clinton would enforce obama's wishes.
    "Never pet a burning dog"