CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Difference in cleaning needs between pistols

Default Difference in cleaning needs between pistols

Kahr P380 with several hundred rounds of Blazer and gun needs a good cleaning due to residue. [Yes, I know Blazer is dirty].

Springfield XDM 9mm with 500 rounds through it with Blazer and it needs a light cleaning. Not much residue.

Can anyone explain?
    Attached Images Attached Images

The only thing I can tell you is that even within Blazer ammo of different calibers the powder will be different. Plus you're talking about a longer barrel in the 9mm, insuring more of a complete powder burn. 380s also unlock and open up pretty violently, what a shooter would call "snappier". Thus more unburned powder flying around inside the gun to foul stuff up. If you follow the Kahr procedure of oiling, there's a lot of oil in the gun to collect and hold residue also. Don't know if a Springfield is a "wet" gun like a Kahr or a "dry" gun like a Glock, but that will play a role also.

All I can say is since I’ve started using Ballistol, my handguns: Kahrs, and others, all stay cleaner longer.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

Interesting topic.
    I recently did a "detail strip" ( if that's the correct term...)full cleaning of the slide on my CM9. Everything was taken off/out of the slide assembly except the sights. I was a little surprised by how much black "gunk" had accumulated in the striker assembly.
    If you've never done one of these, I highly recommend it. Your findings will vary of course, based upon what powder you're shooting. In my case...I have a lot of Winchester Super-Lite shotgun powder around and have developed several SAFE loadings for handguns that allow me to use it up, and keep shooting. It's not especially clean and I accept that a bit more detailed cleaning is necessary.

What makes one powder "clean" and another powder "dirty", other than pressure. I made an honest effort to find the answer to this on the internet.

Re. "black gunk", was that caused by dirty powder or the wrong type or quantity of oil/grease? Why did you think you had to detail strip the slide? Was the gun not working? Does using clean powder make "white gunk"?

Good questions Dave. Over the years I’ve observed a wide variation in the amount of residue left after firing ammo loaded with different powders. When the dry residue from firing accumulates and mixes with whatever oil or grease that’s in the gun, we get “ black gunk”. I use a fine machine oil ( the sort that’s specified for high speed turbines). It’s not a gun oil. Perhaps Ballistol or something like it will alter the result.
    What got me to take the slide apart was some failures to fire I experienced with my practice ammo. Upon checking my records I found that when I first began using that load it was functioning flawlessly in the CM9. It occurred to me that a really thorough cleaning might be in order. Since doing it, I’ve only fired 100 rds or so, but have not had failures to fire from that same run of reloads.

It's best to leave that striker and channel dry. I clean it, oil it and then wipe it all off. I don't think it's gonna rust but just stuck in my head that metal and moving parts need oil.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

You’re probably right Bawanna. I have that same admonition in my head as well.

I, too, have an exact castigation in my head.

Everything here well put, and explained thoroughly.

I would never use ballistol because 1. I can't pronounce it, and 2. the Germans lost two World Wars using it.

I do use it to make moose milk.

just an occasional "blowout" with non-chlorinated brake cleaner will keep the striker tunnel flushed and clean. I never use any type of lube in the striker/firing pin tunnel. I learned a long time ago that any lube in the "tunnel" was nothing but a crud magnet.

just my opinion though

jd

It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!