CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Difference in cleaning needs between pistols

Well now “black gunk” “white gunk” we better not go there.

I’ve been loading Vihtavuori powder the last few months and the stuff burns very clean. No black or white gunk. BE86 and Silhouette also burn clean. Many low charge weight powders burn dirty.

As for detail stripping the slide for a cleaning, I do mine about every 300 rounds. Especially if using Federal primers.

I trust and value your opinion.

I haven't attempted the flush/blowout yet but thinking about it. Besides right in your eye (my luck anyway) where does the nasty stuff come out? You stick the brake cleaner straw in/near the little hole in the slide, right?

Why non-chlorinated, I should wonder? There is at least one oem plastic part in the channel. Will it tolerate the cleaner ok? Or turn to goo?

If you squirt it in the striker hole in the back of the channel it squirts out the hole in the breech and the little "ventaport" in the side of the channel. Non-chlorinated because you like your liver and you want it to like you back.

I use CRC electronics parts cleaner, plastic safe and cost $1 more than brake cleaner at Waldo Mart. Ever see the pics of SOME striker channels stripped for the first time and all the metal that is in there. Happened to me on two of my 45 Kahrs. This was after squirting out the channel through the side hole. The metal was toooo large to get past the striker. My PM 45 was fairly new maybe 150 rnds. Kahr service said “ someone must be using Federal primers”. I was using CCI. Some wonder about light strikes, could be the gunk or metal in the channel.

Quote Originally Posted by skiflydive View Post
    If you squirt it in the striker hole in the back of the channel it squirts out the hole in the breech and the little "ventaport" in the side of the channel. Non-chlorinated because you like your liver and you want it to like you back.
    My Dad's Buick had four ventaports. I like my liver and Lord knows I need it.

Good ol' highly flammable non-chlor for me!

Hilarious Canine Dave !

Lot's of oil or lube attracts more dirt, as was mentioned, but Kahrs like to be wet according to many, including Kahr. Just got my P380 back from Kahr today and it's very wet indeed. Nature of the beast I guess.

Hey, these are first world problems when you get down to deciding which lube is the best and the work required to clean it good. Now consider that, to say, Vietnam and having to have your Colt M1911 or M16 protect your life HOURLY! Perspective fellows, perspective.

Bill
    'The cure for everything is salt water- Sweat, Tears, or the Sea'
    ... (\ __... (\ __

Quote Originally Posted by Canine Dave View Post
    My Dad's Buick had four ventaports. I like my liver and Lord knows I need it.

Good ol' highly flammable non-chlor for me!
    Ha...I wondered if anyone would get the ventaport reference! I almost said Cruiserline Ventaports.