Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new

Thread: Ejector polishing?

Default Ejector polishing?

I was looking at another thread that mentioned Karh polishing an ejector related to failure to return to battery. Any details on what to look for?

I have a CW40 which I like the size. However, when new it would have about an 80% failure rate to return to battery. I sent it to Kahr, and have not had the same issue. However, the firearm still feels not-quite-that-smooth in between each shot when returning to battery. I don't experience this on any of my other Kahrs, including my T40.

Could someone tell me what to look for, or feel for? What side should I prioritize smoothness? I can feel a tiny burr (too small to see) when running my nail on the side, right where the wedge area drops off to the side of the pistol. Anyone familiar with ejector polishing? I know how to feel for burrs on my knives when sharpening and should be able to take it off without problems, but I was hoping for someone more experienced to tell me what to look/feel for, remedies, or even show pics if they had any.

First, I think you are talking about the extractor claw, not the ejector. There is a sticky about adjusting the extractor claw tension. This allows the new round to slide under the claw more easily. The polishing also helps along this line. I believe there is a video about this in the sticky. Check the new owners forum.

I can't find the OP right now. However, multiple posters were talking about finding burs on the ejector and polishing/filing them off, not the extractor. I will, however, double check the extractor but still wanted to know about ejector specs.

Not much to the ejector, it's pretty much fixed. I see no benefit to polishing it. It either kicks the brass out or it don't. I don't have any numbers or specs per se but if it was too short I suppose it wouldn't work properly.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Not much to the ejector, it's pretty much fixed. I see no benefit to polishing it. It either kicks the brass out or it don't. I don't have any numbers or specs per se but if it was too short I suppose it wouldn't work properly.
    Thanks Bawanna. If IRRC, the thread I was reading was talking about failure to return to battery issues. I think they were suggesting that burrs or imperfections on the ejector were negatively affecting the slide's return stroke under recoil.

With the shortages of ammo in my area, I'm not too worried about more testing with my CW40 for now. I'm pretty happy with the 45's and 9's, and they perform pretty much have been flawless for me.

Some of the return to battery issues are related to the extractor, burrs etc, too much tension. Hence polishing and in some cases shortening one of the rods in the extractor chain. I don't think the ejector plays a roll at all in chambering.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."