Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please-Clean your carry gun

Default Please-Clean your carry gun

OK, I am somewhat lazy. Last week I realized I had not cleaned my P380 I carry everyday for six months. I went to my backyard (I live in the country) and got one good shot ( buffalo Bore +p 90 grain JHP) and the second shot did not feed. Jump to the end--- My gun was filthy inside. The rails were dirty enough to stop the slide from chambering the second round. My P380 has never done this in over 1000 rounds. I cleaned and tested 3 times and everything worked fine. I thought my somewhat closed holster would keep it clean but I was wrong. Now going to clean every 3 weeks. Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images

PS: Nobody but nobody pegs this as a holster. They think it is a phone case. Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Whaleman View Post
    OK, I am somewhat lazy. Last week I realized I had not cleaned my P380 I carry everyday for six months. I went to my backyard (I live in the country) and got one good shot ( buffalo Bore +p 90 grain JHP) and the second shot did not feed. Jump to the end--- My gun was filthy inside. The rails were dirty enough to stop the slide from chambering the second round. My P380 has never done this in over 1000 rounds. I cleaned and tested 3 times and everything worked fine. I thought my somewhat closed holster would keep it clean but I was wrong. Now going to clean every 3 weeks. Dan
    @Whaleman,

Do you think and amount and/or type of lube you used caused your P380 to become inexplicably dirty? Some other reason (e.g., you had been carrying your P380 more and/or in different places)?

rx7sig

I have been thinking about this question. I use TW25 grease on the rails. As I mentioned I carry all the time. This includes 2 months in Florida on the beach and home mowing a 6 acre lawn with the dust. I think I just waited too long. I trust my P380 when clean. I carry Buffalo Bore +P 90 grain JHP bullets. Every time I clean I will shoot 3-4 rounds of my carry ammo before I go to cheaper rounds. I just ordered 60 more Buffalo Bore carry rounds. Dan

I've noticed that lube does dry out, depending on what kind it is. I "clean" my guns even between range trips every so often to make sure they have fresh FP10 on the slide and rails. And then some lubes will attract dust. Still it gives me a chance to "play" with them. Another word for fondle I guess.

I like your "holster". Can you post a pic of the back of it. And maybe give us some more info on it?

Don’t feel alone. I had this happen on a Ruger LCP in about 2012. The brass of the loaded cartridge had started to oxidize where the case meets the slide and started to turn green I think it had something to do with different metals but what do I know. I got off one shot and it jammed. I learned my lesson too.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Quote Originally Posted by yqtszhj View Post
    Don’t feel alone. I had this happen on a Ruger LCP in about 2012. The brass of the loaded cartridge had started to oxidize where the case meets the slide and started to turn green I think it had something to do with different metals but what do I know. I got off one shot and it jammed. I learned my lesson too.

That green gunk (verdigris) you noticed was a chemical action rather than galvanic, probably.

When you can’t remember when you last cleaned your carry gun. I decided one night that I was going to run my K9 at our indoor IDPA match. Timer goes off Bang nothing, nothing. Crap. Slide is out of battery. Hit slide pull trigger, bang. Quick look, out of battery. Bang the slide into battery. Finished the string by hitting the slide into battery every other, every shot. Went out to the car and sprayed down the rails with Tri-Flow that I carry for work. It ran flawlessly the rest of the night. Cleaned it the next morning.

I live in Florida near brackish water and go to the beach rarely, but always carry my P40. We have sharks!

My P380 is on my hip all of the time that I'm not carrying my P40. Both get dust and fuzzies if I don't clean them once in a while. I went almost 2 years without going to the range... really overdue on the P380 as I had added a stainless recoil spring guide rod and the Lakeline striker assembly and those needed testing. I also switched from the +P Underwood 90-gr Gold Dots at 1,200 fps to the Hornady Critical Defense 90-gr FTX ammo and needed to test functionality of all of those changes. I saw a recent video by Massad Ayoob and he recommended the Critical Defense as well. It did well in the Lucky Gunner testing and tests by others.

The standard Speer 90-grain Gold Dots were ho-hum, but the extra velocity from the +P loads should give the necessary penetration and expansion out of the P380's 2.5" barrel, but really kicks hard!

I had been neglectful of the P380 and discovered the rusting guide rod and springs had spread rust to the trigger pin and the slide lock spring. After cleaning that rusty mess a few times, I ordered the stainless guide rod and went ahead and got the striker, too. That pretty much stopped my rust problem and everything worked well.

I actually vacuum both guns to get rid of the "dust" from carry. I take the mags out and unload the pistols, then I can vacuum the magazine well, barrel, slide, and the sights. I can run a patch through the barrel, too, and disassemble to oil the barrel, springs, and rails.

I switched from the Buffalo Bore a long time ago after they stopped using the Gold Dot bullets. The Underwood +P is very stout and getting harder for me to shoot. After about 10 years or more of the +P I decided to go with a standard pressure load and it is easier to shoot. I probably shot around 300 rounds of +P since I got the P380 in 2010... just over 11 years ago now on 1 April 2010. The front night sight was DOA and back it went the next day!

I'm switching holsters a lot in wearing the P380... Kydex with metal clip IWB for some wear, a pocketable soft holster for doctor visits, and a MiniTuck for "serious" carry. I carry a 7-round reload opposite side in a Kydex OTB holder, but I leave that in the car for doctor visits.

Those are my two EDC's, but my P380 gets the most carry because I wear it constantly around the house and for yard work.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

I haven’t seen anyone wearing a phone case on their belt in years. I didn’t think that was a thing anymore.