Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K9 and pins?

Default K9 and pins?

I tried pin shooting this weekend for the first time. Had a good time, fun game.

I used my SIG 229 in 40cal. That was considered "low power" so the pins are moved back on the table to the same spot 9mm shooters use.

So wondering, has anyone used their 9mm K9 in pin shoots? I have a decent load worked up with a 147 bullet I'll probably try.

Thanks,

Dave

Bump to the top.

Oh, never mind. It is to the top.

I've watched a few pin matches, never did play in any. I actually got a couple pins, planned to try them out. That was 30 years or more ago, still have the pins, know right where they are, maybe it's time to shoot em.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I shot pins a couple of times with a Ruger Blackhawk 357. It was great fun, but I had no chance against the guys with 45s. Swatted the pins off the table pretty smartly though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I've watched a few pin matches, never did play in any. I actually got a couple pins, planned to try them out. That was 30 years or more ago, still have the pins, know right where they are, maybe it's time to shoot em.
    Bawanna, they make a swell lamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    I shot pins a couple of times with a Ruger Blackhawk 357. It was great fun, but I had no chance against the guys with 45s. Swatted the pins off the table pretty smartly though.
    I wondered, and even asked, about shooting pins with a single action revolver. They said I wouldn't be the first to do it, but should consider the time penalty. I supposed you could fan the hammer?

Quote Originally Posted by Canine Dave View Post
    I wondered, and even asked, about shooting pins with a single action revolver. They said I wouldn't be the first to do it, but should consider the time penalty. I supposed you could fan the hammer?
    I thumb cocked each shot. The roll of the revolver made it easy. I thought about fanning it, but figured that would affect aim a bit more. I knew I would never be competitive with an SA, but it was still fun. No room for error though. I had to stop my string after 6 bangs, whereas the 1911 guys at 8 or more depending if they had extended mags. But only hits count....and you can't miss fast enough to catch up.

I remember in metallic sillohette where you had chickens, turkeys, rams, and can't remember the 4th. You had to knock down 5 at 25, 50, 75, and a 100. No easy task with any hand gun. But they had shoot offs where you could have multiple guns or whatever, some guys blasted away with 3 or 4 guns and one guy would shoot slow and accurate with one and win every time. Don't knock a single action revolver with a guy that can shoot it over a spray and pray with any auto.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Canine Dave View Post
    I tried pin shooting this weekend for the first time. Had a good time, fun game.

I used my SIG 229 in 40cal. That was considered "low power" so the pins are moved back on the table to the same spot 9mm shooters use.

So wondering, has anyone used their 9mm K9 in pin shoots? I have a decent load worked up with a 147 bullet I'll probably try.

Thanks,

Dave
    I wasn't aware that this (shooting bowling pins) is a "thing"--until I read your post. I watched several YouTube videos last night. I still don't get it.

rx7sig

I shot back in the 90s. It is like any shooting sport. It had it's day, now there are a few places that still do it. Back in the day there were specialized 1911 "pin guns" that were compensated with bright sights and stuff like that. Almost like an IPSC race gun, but more nose-heavy if I remember right.