Crimsontrace   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CW 45 slide jammed

Default CW 45 slide jammed

On my new to me CW45, second magazine thru it,,,had run fine, The slide jammed shut with a cartridge in the chamber. I can only move the slide back 1/4”. Seems to be locked tight. What do I do now?

If you are sure it is not a live round in there, try yanking the slide back really, really hard? Could be a bulged casing. Also, the extractor is visible from the side of the slide...If you can get a dental pic or something similar in there, pull the extractor away from the casing as you simultaneously pull the slide back. Also, maybe try applying downward pressure on your slide stop/take-down pin as you try to pull the slide back. Hope this helps. I’m sure others will chime in (Greg, Colonal) and give other advice that I have not thought of, or can’t think of due to the 3 beers I’ve just consumed. Good luck with it!

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsThaWord View Post
    If you are sure it is not a live round in there, try yanking the slide back really, really hard? Could be a bulged casing. Also, the extractor is visible from the side of the slide...If you can get a dental pic or something similar in there, pull the extractor away from the casing as you simultaneously pull the slide back. Also, maybe try applying downward pressure on your slide stop/take-down pin as you try to pull the slide back. Hope this helps. I’m sure others will chime in (Greg, Colonal) and give other advice that I have not thought of, or can’t think of due to the 3 beers I’ve just consumed. Good luck with it!
    Well, it was a live round,,,but I tried gripping the slide firmly, holding it horizontal against my body and whacked the back of the grip 3 or 4 times and it came loose,, thanks for the help...I am going to remember your suggestions for if this happens again. And I’m going to try other ammo too, but apparently this is an almost common problem with this series,. I stil like the gun.

I suspect it was a long cartridge and didn't chamber all the way. I had a son in law with a CW9 and I ended up putting a dowel down the barrel and tapping it against a bench while also pulling on the slide. It worked pretty easily however extreme caution is advised, safe location and you know the drill.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Hi Slowalkintexan and welcome to Kahrtalk, lots of nice folks here......Glad you got it unjammed and the live round out.....I think Bawanna hit the problem with a too long bullet that the gun doesn’t like and wouldn’t fully chamber....If you Google CW45 slide jammed with live round in the chamber you will find this has happened to others and it was a bullet too long to fully chamber, one guy had your exact issue using Hornsby TAP .45 and he did what you did and grabbed the slide with a glove and pulled hard until the round ejected.....

Now that it’s safe to work with I would take it apart and make sure the recoil spring is in there correctly with the open end of the spring towards the muzzle.....Make sure the barrel lugs don’t have any rough areas or burrs and look at the most likely cause of the problem, the barrel chamber which can and should be polished along with the feed ramp to smooth those areas out with any quality metal polish like flitz or wenol and you can even polish the outside of the barrel, won’t hurt anything and looks nice.....

Clean it and lube it up real good (they like running wet) and run it like that until it breaks in fully.....Choose full power rounds of a different brand of ammo and go shoot it hard......Good luck, let us know how it goes and again welcome to the forum.....

Glad you got it resolved!

Me too!

But what I'm trying to understand is this... "I can only move the slide back 1/4” " If it were a too long reload (certainly factory ammo manf to SAAMI will always cycle in a Kahr) then how could the slide move at all, I wonder.

Stuck bullets seem to be somewhat common because I think people who reload will error on the longer side of OAL. Some powders will pressure spike if the OAL is shortened. So the solution is to not smash the bullet deeper.

Canine Dave, I was wondering the same thing. Anyway,, I took it apart, cleaned it,, maybe I should put a little more lube on it....however, right now it’s running fine,,,,I like this gun very much,

Quote Originally Posted by Canine Dave View Post
    Me too!

But what I'm trying to understand is this... "I can only move the slide back 1/4” " If it were a too long reload (certainly factory ammo manf to SAAMI will always cycle in a Kahr) then how could the slide move at all, I wonder.

Stuck bullets seem to be somewhat common because I think people who reload will error on the longer side of OAL. Some powders will pressure spike if the OAL is shortened. So the solution is to not smash the bullet deeper.
    This is what I suspect happened in this case. The bullet was a bit long and got stuck, pulling the slide probably pulled the bullet out a bit. Curious what it looked like once it was out. Probably a little long at least.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I didn’t measure that one, but it was a hollow point. today I ran a bunch of ball ammo throu and it ate it with no problem.

Thank you for all the help.