CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: New to me MK9. GA series gun

Default New to me MK9. GA series gun

Hey guys,
    I'm brand new to the site. I just picked up a GA series Kahr MK9. Feels like a very well made gun. Been riding in my pocket since I got it. I see a lot of talk about the weight but that's not bother me. I have a SP101 I used to carry so this feels pretty good.
    Anyway, what do I need to know? Problems? This is an older version, but appears in great shape. Doesn't look like it has been shot much. Hopefully gonna put a few rounds down range this weekend
    Haven't quite figured out pics yet.

Matt, you need 30 post before the door to photos opens, you can post pictures via an outfit like postimage, or one of those.

You have an excellent and much coveted gun in the MK. Really no concerns. If it's actually still not broke in as many are, use full power ammo if you can find it. Oil it up good and go for it.

I think you'll enjoy it, I have a couple K's, always wanted an MK but hasn't happened so far.

Glad you found us, keep us posted. Lots of good folks here that have a lot of experience and knowledge. Sadly I got experience but not a lot of knowledge.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Welcome to the forum. I always wanted a MK9 but it just hasn’t happened yet for me either.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Thanks for the replies guys! Gun was dirty, but now that it is all cleaned up looks pretty close to new. I was able to put 50 rounds thru it this afternoon at my camp. I saved just enough to fill the mags when I left. No hiccups. Shoots sweet.
    No joke, I asked the dealer who had it if he knew how old it was? He didn't know, but upon looking in his book we found out it had been sitting in the used gun rack since 2015!!!
    I had no idea of the GA serial number difference until I got home and started searching the web. I'm figuring a 1998 DOM based on what I've found. Paid $479+tax.
    I do have a Kahr P9 that I have had for probably 7-8 years. That gun I believe was made somewhere around 2008. Love that gun too, just a little big for my pocket though. They weight of the MK9 doesn't bother me at all. I had carried a SP101 Ruger for a number of years and I feel like this carries better in the pocket than that did.
    Just need to find some more ammo now! I'm guessing this is broke in, but I'd like to get 200 rounds thru it myself too. I'll post a few pics once I have enough posts

GA is the earlier version, I've made a few grips for those. The GC they changed a bit and I haven't been able to get my hands on one for a model. Not a lot of difference but they don't interchange.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by mattusmc45 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys! Gun was dirty, but now that it is all cleaned up looks pretty close to new. I was able to put 50 rounds thru it this afternoon at my camp. I saved just enough to fill the mags when I left. No hiccups. Shoots sweet.
    No joke, I asked the dealer who had it if he knew how old it was? He didn't know, but upon looking in his book we found out it had been sitting in the used gun rack since 2015!!!
    I had no idea of the GA serial number difference until I got home and started searching the web. I'm figuring a 1998 DOM based on what I've found.
    When I purchased my K9 (new) a couple of years ago, I contacted Kahr directly, and they were able to tell me the DOM. FWIW.

rx7sig

Glad you found your way here Matt.

I answered you on Kahr Arms Nation. This is THE place to get answers on Kahr products. So many really knowledgeable folks here.

As you've already done, check under the grips occasionally, und put a coat of lube on the frame under there. Stainless CAN rust, and MK owners will confirm this.

Another thing that is a good idea with any used semi auto is to put a new recoil assembly in. Unless you know how many rounds were put through the gun, this is a wise thing to do. MK recoil assemblies are fairly inexpensive.

Wolff gun springs has some good stuff for the MKs - check 'em out at gunsprings.com. They have a nice recoil assembly with no plastic involved.

Enjoy your new MK9 !!!

Howdy Matt and congrats on your MK. If you are not already aware, there’s a company that makes aftermarket grips and a few other things for the MK if you are looking for any of that. They are a vendor on here, Lakeline, LLC. They make nice stuff!

Thanks guys. No hiccups yet. I've put about 50 rounds thru it. Probably going to leave it just the way it is. Been riding in my pocket since I picked it up. Definitely heavier than the P9 but it fits better. Pretty sure it's lighter than my SP101, definitely smaller. I'm still looking for some more ammo to run thru it ! LOL