Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Xssights   Crimsontrace
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Forever July's Japings...

The video watered my eyes and choked me up... about the third time I've seen it, too! I re-posted it on Facebook and sent it to to my "circle".

I got my 25-foot flag pole installed yesterday and a new USA flag today. I had bought a 4'x6' but that one would strike the corner of the roof over my front porch at about 22 feet, so I ordered a 3'x5' with the same construction.... nylon with sewn stripes and embroidered stars. My "old" USA flag is up until I replace it with the newest one. It looked a little outclassed by the 3-ply 3'x5' POW/MIA flag... sturdier and needs more wind after the rain today... holds water better!

The pole came with an 18-inch PVC sleeve and called for an 18" wide by 18" deep hole with the sleeve leveled and ONE 50-pound bag of concrete to hold it. There was a slight problem. I dug essentially an 18" cube-sized hole and when I dumped the concrete in, it only came up about 4-5 inches from the bottom! They must have meant 18" diameter with a cylindrical hole. I Had a BUNCH of mortar mud from the shower pan that I didn't complete and a bag of the porcelain mortar, too... all 55-pound bags. I used all but 1/3 of FOUR bags of the "mud" and the whole bag of the porcelain mortar, adding water and mixing as I went. I had an "X" with 18" rebar near the bottom and sticking into the sides a little bit. I don't think that will blow over! The pole might break, but I will lower it or remove it for high winds. It's telescoping anodized aluminum tubes with stainless steel pins that pop out to hold the sections in place... 16 gauge, I believe, and pretty sturdy... under $200 delivered. I've been wanting one for MANY years and I finally ordered one.

I still need something to put on the gold-colored finial to protect it against the sun's UV rays. I haven't installed that on the top, yet. I did cobble together a temporary light and added a dusk to dawn timer that worked fine last night.

I'll have some pix and maybe a video by the Fourth.
    Last edited by wyntrout; 07-01-2021 at 10:21 PM.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Quote Originally Posted by Bobshouse View Post
    July japings? Get real, I'm married to a Japanese and feel this thread is racist.
    I love okonomiyaki at Nagataya's in Hiroshima.

I did the same thing a little over a year ago. I didn't get the telescoping model, got the one with the pulley. It works good. I upgraded the PVC in the ground to a heavier PVC after checking with the manufacturer. That way I was able to dig the hole and get it all cemented in while waiting for delivery.
    I took the flag down a lot at first when the wind blew but it's rated for 70mph and I just leave it up now. She sways a bit but she ain't blowing over. I got the light on top but it was kind of girlyman so added a light on the ground which I intend to relocate and make more better.

In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

This was an early photo, I now have a smaller American on top, a Thin blue line, and then a marine corp flag. I was told by the head man at MCRD in San Diego that since my son was a Marine I could fly it, I'm kind of family by association.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

[img] [/img]
    "Never pet a burning dog"

[img] [/img]

[img][/img]

[img] [/img]

Quote Originally Posted by 340pd View Post
    [img] [/img]
    Senator Feinswine doesn’t realize that the DHS labels the AR a “self defense weapon” for their agents when they post their procurement purchasing notices.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by 340pd View Post
    [img] [/img]
    My wife said ladies need that same $4.95 option for purses and shoes.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/