Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: Stripped my slide

Default Stripped my slide

Well, After extensive testing of my Magguts (post below) I decided that when cleaning I would strip my slide. Been at least 2 years maybe longer. Yes, I spray brake clean in the hole every time. Well, I found that even with spraying in the hole there are places that do not get clean. When taking it apart the shaft that pushes on the extractor would not slide out. I had to fabricate a piece of wire to push it out. The extractor had built up black carbon where you can't brush it while assembled. The lakeline striker had a very thin film of black stain the cleaned off with a brass bore brush. There was not anything large in the striker channel. I used a brass bore brush on every part and each one had a little something to clean. I am not going to do this every time but I now think a 1 year rotation is reasonable. Dan

Yup. Sometimes chunks of brass or unburned powder get stuck in there, and the spray-cleaner won't get it out. Periodic disassembly and cleaning is pretty important if your goal is to come close to 100% reliability.

Taking down a slide is much easier when using the "Ripley Retractor", another homemade tool used to secure the firing pin and guide and removing pressure from the back plate. I like to use a small jewelers screwdriver to depress the extractor pin. Easy to make from a simple wire coat hanger... and it works!

Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Good idea. I will make one also. Your coat hanger looks fuzzy in the bottom picture. Dan