Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wife's hands

Quote Originally Posted by jg rider View Post
    I didn't know there was such a thing for Kahrs. My question is since wife carries iwb appendix carry, will the wing dig in to her skin. On the the S&W Shield, I haven't been able to locate one to look at. I think it may be bigger then a standard Shield because of the EZ internal hammer and spring vs. the shield striker system
    The EZ is indeed bigger than the Shield. In fact, the EZ has very little in common with the standard Shield, other than both being plastic modified Browning style handguns produced by S&W. Most of the size difference is the 1/2" longer barrel and 1/8" wider slide.

It may be though that S&W has found the best solution so far for arthritic hands. Besides the easier slide manipulation, it's also much easier to disassemble and clean. As much as I like my Kahrs, you gotta hand it to S&W for innovation.

For an easy-to-rack pistol (click to see Lightfighter discussion), I concur with those recommending the S&W Shield EZ line, in either .380 or 9mm. The EZ .380 is super-friendly both to rack and to fire. Downside is that it's rather large, which might be a problem for carry. But try them, as if their slides are still too heavy, probably EVERYTHING will be, and you'll know you need to look into more exotic solutions (like maybe Beretta tip-up barrels).

I recall racking the Glock 43 slide to be very similar to the Sig P365. So if the Glock 43 recoil spring is too heavy for her hands, my guess is the Sig P365 and most other compact 9mm pistols will be too. If a bigger pistol is an option, perhaps try a full-size 9mm like the Sig P320. The heavier full-length slide may allow setting it up with extra-light springs. I believe some competition shooters do that, so after-market recoil springs in various weights are available (but only for the full-length slide, not the compact).

Compared to the usual modified-Browning tilting-barrel system, rotary barrel pistols like the Beretta PX4 Storm and Grand Power K100 are said to have lower recoil and allow much lighter recoil springs. But I've never used any of those myself, so I'm not sure.

In smaller .380 pistols, the Sig P238 is very friendly to shoot, only modestly larger than a Kahr P380, and it's slide is MUCH easier to rack than the P380, although still heavier than the S&W EZ .380. If you like 1911-style SAO pistols, the Sig P238 is very nice. Downside is it is stupidly expensive, often $650+, and really only available in that one size format, no choice about slide or grip length.

The new Ruger LCP Max double-stack .380 is worth a look. Slide spring weight is moderate, definitely much less than Kahr P380. Good sights, good grip; but I haven't shot one yet. Trigger is mediocre, but probably ok; to me it feels sort of like a weirdly long Glock trigger. Length of trigger pull seems similar to Kahr, perhaps slightly shorter, although IMO the Kahr trigger pull is smoother and better.

Rumor is that Sig is working on a new .380 pistol based on the their P365. I love the P365 (and XL), so that's interesting to me. But I have no idea if this new .380 is supposed to just be a P365 chambered in .380, making it large for a .380, sort of like the S&W EZ but double-stack. Or if it will be something smaller, like the Ruger LCP Max. Or whether it will ever actually come to market at all, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by finpro View Post
    Have you considered a LakeLine charging handle? (https://lakelinellc.com/shop/kahr-9mm-charging-handle/) Kahr sells similar units. (https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/ka...arging-handle/)
    That sounds worth trying. If the problem is not enough grip strength causing her hand to slip off the slide too early when racking, that extra bit sticking out the side might be enough for her to hold on. I guess the arthritis is only in her fingers and not her wrist, if she SHOOTS the PM9 just fine!

I did not read through all the posts, but my $0.02 ... I just picked up a LCP ii EZ 22 LR. It racks ridiculously EZ. If she gets a chance to try one out at a gun store. 11 rounds of high velocity 22 LR with little recoil.

Sig announced the P365 .380 ACP. Turns out, it really is just a P365 in .380, exact same frame size as the 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsThaWord View Post
    I just picked up a LCP ii EZ 22 LR. It racks ridiculously EZ.
    That's a good suggestion. I just wish the LCP II .22 LR had the superior sights of the LCP Max.

My wife has the same arthritis problem in her thumbs. The EZ was really easy for her to rack, but she liked the Springfield Hellcat feel better and she could rack it easily. Bought it with the Hex red dot installed and she is deadly accurate with it. Has zero problems racking the Hellcat and cannot even move my K9. I love it too! Can I put a red dot on my T-9? I think that would be ultimate.

Quote Originally Posted by laserfish View Post
    ... Can I put a red dot on my T-9? I think that would be ultimate.
    Galloway Precision can mill your Kahr slide for a dot.

The only Kahr I've seen with a dot sight mounted was the T9 that Justin Moon was shooting in one of the videos on the Kahr website a couple years ago. That video has apparently been removed since then.