Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wife's hands

Quote Originally Posted by jg rider View Post
    There's a company out there called Tandem Kross that makes a cocker for Ruger. 22s and Browning .22s. It fits around the slides and has a loop in the back to insert a finger to cock the slide. I wonder if someone makes something like that for a Kahr. Doesn't Glocks have something like that ?

It's gonna be hard to pull the wife away from her kahrs. K9 for winter carry and PM9 for summers

https://youtu.be/qMsNjn82BmI

https://youtu.be/aTqtx3d-pfk

https://youtu.be/5vvwq8miWww
    With your talent I can't imagine you couldn't come up with something similar to the loop. That's actually not a bad idea.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by wyntrout View Post
    My wife isn't arthritic, but she's 65 now and never could rack the Kahrs. I bought her a P9, a P380, and then a G-19 gen. 3, and then a gen. 4 to no avail. After the G-43 came out I tried one of those and then bought a Blue Label one for her. Fortunately Glock had improved the connector by then and gotten the 5.5 pound or so trigger pull correct. She could cock the Glocks but they were too big. The G-43 was kind of like the Goldilocks "just right".

She hasn't shot it since the first range trip after I bought it, but it is ready at the head of her side of the bed. I haven't been to the range much in the last two years, but she's not interested in going with me. She's retired USAF and not unused to guns, but doesn't want to practice much.

There are replacement "toggles" for the rear back plate of the Kahrs. I favor teaching to use the support hand and placing the fingers over the slide with the thumb along the slide and simultaneous racking by holding the gun close to the chest and pushing the gun away while pulling the slide to the rear with the support hand. Avoid getting the fingers in the way of the ejection support and pull the support hand clear quickly to allow the slide to cleanly go forward... no "riding" the slide as that could lead to incomplete chambering, especially with Kahrs.

Another biggie is gripping the Kahr firmly. A loose or weak grip causes loss of momentum to the slide and incomplete chamberings... something you don't want in a possible fight to the death!
    My wife is now turning 75 and the problem is her strong hand. Her pain is in the web. She pulls with the left and used to push with the right. Now any pressure she puts in the web of her right hand causes pain. Doc and therapist say things should get better in about a year. They both want to know why would she want to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    With your talent I can't imagine you couldn't come up with something similar to the loop. That's actually not a bad idea.
    Hi Bawanna,
    It's been a while. This is what Tandemkross has to offer.

jg give a look at a S&W Shield EZ….I was surprised at how little effort it took to rack the slide on that pistol and it might just work for her without adding any gizmos that might get in the way of a clean draw…...If the web of her shooting hand is the problem they make the EZ pistol in .380 ACP (sorry Bawanna) but it might be a choice so she can keep in the shooting game……..Sometimes you just have to do what you can to stay armed……

For those with slide retraction issues, something worth trying is to position their trigger finger in the trigger guard BEHIND the trigger which allows a better grip and slightly more leverage. I think this is actually a better and safer way to load pistols with difficult slides. With the trigger finger tightly against the frame behind the trigger, there is no danger of a trigger finger slipping off the frame into the front of the trigger. This only works for pistols, like Kahrs, whose triggers don't move rearward when retracting the slide. And, there is no cost.
    Something else to teach such shooters is that Kahr rear steel sights and dovetails are strong enough to catch against something hard and push to retract the slide. Knowing this is useful in case there is a need to load a chamber with one hand in an emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by getsome View Post
    jg give a look at a S&W Shield EZ….I was surprised at how little effort it took to rack the slide on that pistol and it might just work for her without adding any gizmos that might get in the way of a clean draw…...If the web of her shooting hand is the problem they make the EZ pistol in .380 ACP (sorry Bawanna) but it might be a choice so she can keep in the shooting game……..Sometimes you just have to do what you can to stay armed……
    Hi,
    I would look at one if I could find one. It still would be a hard sell to the wife. Her theory is that she only has to rack the slide twice. Once to chamber a round and once to clear the chambered round. Both scenarios almost don't apply to her since her Kahrs are always loaded for bear. I said almost because when using practice ammo I do the clearing of her edc ammo and loading of the practice ammo.
    Her Kahrs were bought in 1998 and 2001 and have never missed a beat, no misfires, ftf, fte, nothing , nada. But! I tell her it could happen and what are you going to do then ? Crickets !
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Went and bought one

Quote Originally Posted by finpro View Post
    A recoil spring with much less strength is likely to transmit a lot more recoil to the shooter's hand, especially in a light, short grip PM9. Have you considered a LakeLine charging handle? (https://lakelinellc.com/shop/kahr-9mm-charging-handle/) Kahr sells similar units. (https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/ka...arging-handle/) I have never seen one, but it is vaguely similar to charging ears that come on HK VP9s. I have one and I think this would help someone whose problem is gripping the thin slide, but who has the basic strength to retract the slide for loading. If you try this, let us know how it works for you.
    Thanks finpro,
    I bought one of those Lakeline units. But it won't work for us. It's too small to grip, has sharp corners that hurt her fingers when pulling back the slide and digs jnto her skin when holstered.
    DSC00074.jpgDSC00073.jpgDSC00076.jpg
    Found this item on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Handi-Racker-Safest-Pistols-Green-Compact/dp/B01BFMD9U4

On that same Amazon page it shows some slide rackers for Glocks that look if they could be redesigned for Kahrs

I also found 3 Lady Kahr recoil springs from days gone by in my stock pile. FYI I also ordered a reduced spring from Wolf that's rated at 18#. The lady Kahr springs are lighter

My wife is now turning 75 and the problem is her strong hand. Her pain is in the web. She pulls with the left and used to push with the right. Now any pressure she puts in the web of her right hand causes pain. Doc and therapist say things should get better in about a year. They both want to know why would she want to shoot.
    My doctor asked if I knew where to get any 9 ammo. He lives in town and I did the background checks on guns, saw his name come up so I asked about it next visit. Took him a couple boxes next trip. This was before the ammo pandemic we have now of course. Now I'd trade 6 rounds for an office call.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Well I contacted Lakeline ( Al ) and he is kind enough to take the part back. Haven't followed up on what this company has to offer but I will. Good customer relations !

Well I contacted Lakeline ( Al ) and he is kind enough to take the part back. Haven't followed up on what this company has to offer but I will. Good customer relations !
    Al's a good guy, lives on the good side of my state. Met him once, been trying to meet up again for years, maybe it'll happen one of these days.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan