Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally Found A Llama

Wink Finally Found A Llama

I have been wanting one for a while, but could not find one at an acceptable price, until this morning. It came with 2 mags, an iwb holster and a handful of hollow points.It is a single stack Minimax in 40 S&W. This is the first 1911ish I've owned in 40. I've read about these quite often over the years and am aware that they have a "hit or miss" reputation as far as functionality. I hereby accept the challenge!
    As with many of the good deals I find, it was a bit crud covered, and a few areas of brown were showing up hear and there. I field stripped it, removed the grips and tore down the mags. I de-burred the rough feed lips, cleaned the mag tubes, then coated everything with some knock off CLP and let it sit and soak. All of the brown went away, or was lifted away as I cleaned. I also removed the mag catch, cleaned & lubed it, and also ran polishing cloth through the frame (mag release hole).
    During the clean up, I certainly saw what people say when they say that the finish is rough. But, my intentions are not to have or make this pig shine, but to run it and get it reliable, if I can.
    On an interesting note, I was surprised to find the plunger tube is screwed on, not staked on. Probably nothing new to some of you, but I like it and it seems to be a good idea.
    Anyway, she's all cleaned, lubed and ready for the next range day. I'll take some truncated stuff, those hollow points and some fmj round nose to see how she goes. I'm hoping I got a winner as is, but we shall see! 20210729_181315.jpg20210729_181238.jpg

That’s a nice find Bird and now that you have degunked and cleaned it good it should be a nice shooter…..Way back in the late 80’s I bought a used Star Firestar .45 ACP mainly because I really wanted a Detonics .45 like Sonny Crockett carried on his ankle for a backup but I was never able to find one and even if I had I couldn’t have afforded one but the Star was a decent pistol and shot pretty good but I found a S&W model 19 revolver I wanted more so the Star went away but I hope your Llama works out for you, let us know how she shoots……..

Cool man! I didn’t know ol Crocket carried one. I read that they were used in a lot of movies etc due to how cheap they could be bought for. Switching to that 19 was a nice move... Those things are some accurate shooters. I remember going back and forth with a guy to score one up in Sanford. Weird scenario, as I got there when he was arguing with his “roommate” about some missing money. I didn’t know if I was about to witness a shoot out. I had to go back another day to make the deal. I ended up trading it towards one of my first 1911’s, but wish I still had it. Have a great weekend man!

I know all about how guns come and go and much later you kick yourself in the a$$ for letting one go you can’t replace today…….Miami Vice was one of the first TV shows where handguns were a big part of the plot…..If you watch it now it’s very dated but they were true to the firearms all the actors carried……Crockett originally had a blue Sig but the directors wanted more camera bling so they had him carry the Bren-10 which looked cool but I read that the prop guys had a really hard time making it work with blanks so they changed again and had Crockett carry the then brand new S&W 645 .45 and a bit later in the series he upgraded to a S&W 4506 but his ankle holster back up gun was a Detonics .45 Combat Master which today is the unicorn gun and even back in the day they weren’t cheap……I, like every Miami Vice fan wanted one but to this day I’ve never seen one so if you ever do, sell the ranch and buy it……here is a brief history of the beautiful handmade little Detonics .45 ACP pistol…….

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...detonics-story
    Last edited by getsome; 08-02-2021 at 08:22 PM.

I had a Firestar 40 years ago....it was absolutely the worst gun ever owned! Constant jams, the mag would actually fall out of gun at range. DUMPED it as fast as I could. NO QUALITY.
    Last edited by jeepster09; 08-04-2021 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Fixed Jocko's spelling....
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
    I had a Firestar 40 years ago....it was absolutely the worst gun ever owned! Constant jams, the mag when actually fall out of gun at range. DUMPED it as fast as I could. NO QUALITY.
    You know, come to think of it I think the Firestar I had was also a .40 cal not a .45 and I do remember thinking that it was a most unpleasant gun to shoot which is why I traded it…….

Quote Originally Posted by getsome View Post
    I know all about how guns come and go and much later you kick yourself in the a$$ for letting one go you can’t replace today…….Miami Vice was one of the first TV shows where handguns were a big part of the plot…..If you watch it now it’s very dated but they were true to the firearms all the actors carried……Crockett originally had a blue Sig but the directors wanted more camera bling so they had him carry the Bren-10 which looked cool but I read that the prop guys had a really hard time making it work with blanks so they changed again and had Crockett carry the then brand new S&W 645 .45 and a bit later in the series he upgraded to a S&W 4506 but his ankle holster back up gun was a Detonics .45 mini pistol which today is the unicorn gun and even back in the day they weren’t cheap……I, like every Miami Vice fan wanted one but to this day I’ve never seen one so if you ever do, sell the ranch and buy it……here is a brief history of the beautiful handmade little Detonics .45 ACP pistol…….

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...detonics-story
    Pretty cool you know all that, more so considering a buddy of mine and me have recently found Miami Vice on tap with a new tv service thing he got going. Good to know I’m not the only guy. Watching that show takes me back to a certain time in my life. If I only knew what I know now back then : )
    I know what you mean about the Detonics. I’ve seen only a few pop up since I started liking guns, and man they are expensive. I bet that show is one of the reasons!

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
    I had a Firestar 40 years ago....it was absolutely the worst gun ever owned! Constant jams, the mag when actually fall out of gun at range. DUMPED it as fast as I could. NO QUALITY.
    Yours sounds like many of the stories I’ve read about them. That is one of the reasons why I wanted one. The challenge of trying to overcome that stuff. Maybe I’m a fool to do so, but at least there’s not a huge financial loss if it turns out to be beyond my capabilities.

The down side to the LLama is parts. They are not GI spec and many 1911 parts will not work on them.
    NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by kenemoore View Post
    The down side to the LLama is parts. They are not GI spec and many 1911 parts will not work on them.
    Yes, I also gathered that from researching them. Not sure why they would have reinvented the wheel on a few of the parts, but if they hadn’t they may still be around. I’ve seen a bunch of parts on ebay, numrich’s, etc. My concern is more about it being in 40 s&w as most I’ve seen are not. Was hoping to hit the range with it today, but life got in the way. Cheers!