Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Ugh...ugh...ahhh...Augusto!

Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

Wasn’t feeling quite myself over the weekend so I went to get tested for patience today, thank goodness it came back negative…..

I gave up asking inspectors to cite chapter and verse. As for “buying a permit later,” that might work if all the construction was done to code. It’s often not.
    A corrupt government tends to be well protected by a thin white line of bureaucracy.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
    Don’t laugh. I worked for a nursing home that was mostly low income residents with substance abuse and mental problems. The police would frequently return one of our residents in a rather drunken state. One time they brought him back drunk when they clocked him at 45 mph going down hill…..in his wheel chair.

Hopefully not toward an alligator pit.
    A corrupt government tends to be well protected by a thin white line of bureaucracy.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    I gave up asking inspectors to cite chapter and verse. As for “buying a permit later,” that might work if all the construction was done to code. It’s often not.
    True. But just like laws some of which are senseless it's the same with codes. I always take pictures of anything that gets buried such as rebar in a foundation etc. That was the primary issue with the inspector I had to have trespassed. Seems each inspector has a piece they are really smart on, his happened to be rebar. He was just broken hearted that he didn't get to inspect my rebar, but I had good pictures. They made it so hard I told them forget it, I'll just tear it down. Their response was oh you'll need a demolition permit. Told them to pound sand.

The thing that chaffes my backside about building inspection especially residential is you build, they inspect, say it's ok and the building falls down or burns or whatever, the building department take no responsibility.

Commercial buildings I can sure see the need for vigorous inspections and I went through a lot in my building days. But just like rangemasters there are good inspectors and ones that just want to make life difficult. They should be there to help make it right, not make life a pain.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

I bought a house in Gwinnett County Ga. back in 1998 it was 18 years old and the whole neighborhood was on a septic system…..Within 2 years almost everyone on the street started having septic tank problems…..The guy two doors up bought his house new in the subdivision and saw the county inspector doing drive by inspections of the work and sign off on it because there was so much construction going on at the time…..

Well after a week long rain everyone on the street started to have septic problems……I called a plumbing company and he looked at the drain field blueprint plot and said it shows 1800 feet of drain field which should have been more than enough for a 3 bedroom house but after digging up my backyard they found 6 drain field lines 35 feet long which means the county inspector was either paid off or was just plain lazy and signed off on crap work that ended up costing me 8 thousand dollars and a destroyed yard to fix……..I lost a lot of respect for county building inspectors after that…….Although my plumbing contractor was very happy and thanked me for finding him a summers worth of work…….

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I find it best to work fast and mostly at night or weekends. Forget the permit process. If you get caught you gotta buy a permit, no great loss.
    Works in many cases, but I tried using a bow saw to quietly take down oak trees over the weekends . . . got a couple trees in, and, abandoning any hope of surreptition, fetched my chain saw. Turned out the neighbors didn't care, apparently, 'cause no one reported me. Don't remember how many it was, but our property needed a lot of thinning. Lots of tree huggers at the city offices back then.

I can write an affidavit saying a building meets code. No one’s ever offered me enough to do it (i.e. enough to retire by 5pm today). I’d probably have trouble sleeping if I did that, wondering if the building was going to collapse or something.