CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   Xssights
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PM9 fails pencil test

Some pencils are too soft and they don't resist the firing pin enough to launch the pencil into the air, I use a plastic rod, but that won't fly, either, if the pin strikes a hole or much battered portion of the plastic rod. You can maybe try a plastic Bic pen or something that fits.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Hi Byrd, welcome to the forum……Your post got me curious, my PM9 is 5 years old with maybe 600 or so trouble free rounds with never a FTF…..I have never pulled the slide apart and removed the firing pin and only done the spray out thing but I tried the pencil test and got the same result you did so it doesn’t seem to be an issue……I’m glad your pistol worked at the range with live ammo which is all that counts…….Again welcome, glad you found us……

Must be a defective pencil?
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Must be a defective pencil?
    Well, there's the problem!

I use a 20.00 laser trainer insert. No laser if striker doesn’t hit hard enough on the button.

Ooops!! Make sure the gun is unloaded before performing the pencil test........................

Just tugging your chain.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Yep, it's beyond me, which is why I put the question to you guys. I guess cleaning all the crud out did something. I don't know, just glad it runs!

Wait, did I miss something? You cleaned out some crud, took it to the range and it worked fine? Did you retry the pencil test after cleaning it, either before or since the range trip?

Mine fails the pencil test, too, but fires fine. We have zillions (Costco-quantity *shrug* they were on sale) of new wood pencils - I'll try again with the wood end of one of those . . . eventually.

The eraser end doesn't work... usually! A cheap non-retractable ballpoint pen works with the non-writing in first. Take the cap off too.

I use a .380 fired cartridge in my .40 S&W. That flies!
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".