Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kind of new to me, MK9

Default Kind of new to me, MK9

So...around two years ago, I bought a used MK-9 from a gentleman via this board.
    Low mileage, looked great. Older fellow, getting rid of it because his hands could not handle the recoil anymore.
    I stowed it in the safe until recently, finally took it to the range, and I am having issues with the slide locking back after firing three rounds.
    I tried several magazines and the issue remained. I am thinking the slide lock is engaging when it should not.

I ordered a replacement slide lock and a new recoil assembly, and will try again next range trip

Could it be something else? Any ideas, much appreciated.

I own a T9, K9, MK9, PM9, PM45, CW380, so not new to Kahr's had the same issue with the .380 and a new slide lock fixed that one.

BTW, K9 is my favorite, but the T9 is the best looking.
    NRA Benefactor

I might suggest researching about the little spring that is under the slide lock/take-down pin. I know this can be an issue with the P Kahrs, but I totally forget if the K’s and MK’s have that spring. So, may be worth checking...They can be installed incorrectly so that the slide stop is getting pushed upwards, causing it to engage the slide. Other than that, knowing you’ve tried other mags and have those parts on order... I got nothin! Hope this helps and hope you can get it running well. I miss my MK and K!!!

Here’s a thread that shows that spring:
    http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...-and-a-mystery

Well,
    Installed the new slide stop, and recoil assembly. Went to the range, now it runs like it needs to be broken in. Locks the slide back every 10-12 rounds. Extremely difficult to rack the slide.
    Ran 25 rounds of steel case Tula, and 25 rounds of Freedom munitions reloads, both 115 grn.
    Seems to run better on the steel ammo, which was a tad hotter.
    Both ammo choices ran thru my K9 without any issues.
    NRA Benefactor

Try leaving your slide locked back for a day or 2. It may help.

Also, check out ArachnaGrips. They help with the racking difficulty.

As far as breaking it in, it really helps to rack the slide on a new Kahr 2-300 times before taking it out, as well as locking it back for a day or so as Bird suggests. Kahrs are made to very tight tolerances and despite the excellent machining done at the factory micro-burrs do exist and can be removed and smoothed out by racking the slide.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    Also, check out ArachnaGrips. They help with the racking difficulty.

As far as breaking it in, it really helps to rack the slide on a new Kahr 2-300 times before taking it out, as well as locking it back for a day or so as Bird suggests. Kahrs are made to very tight tolerances and despite the excellent machining done at the factory micro-burrs do exist and can be removed and smoothed out by racking the slide.
    +1 on this, did it with my new PM9 and could really feel it loosen up and smooth out during the process.

Later when I got to the range, ran as it should (though I don't use steel cased ammo?).

Well, now have about 200 rounds down range. Still locks the slide back after almost every shot. I replace the slide lock, so now have two. I am going to file a tad off and see what happens.
    It is extremely accurate. I was just messing around at 5 yrds, an shot quarter sized groups.
    NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by kenemoore View Post
    Well, now have about 200 rounds down range. Still locks the slide back after almost every shot. I replace the slide lock, so now have two. I am going to file a tad off and see what happens.
    It is extremely accurate. I was just messing around at 5 yrds, an shot quarter sized groups.
    Try shooting one handed, and try different mags.

Tried different mags, no difference. Tried left handed, one handed, to remove me hitting it with my thumb, no joy. If I hold my thumb on the slide release, it runs fine. I don't feel any pressure on it. So... must just be off a hair. I had hoped replacing the stop would fix it. Now, I'm thinking the frame hole might be off a few thousands. Anyway, since I now have two stops, I an going to remove a little material on one of them and check it next month. Since I retired, I can only afford to shoot about once a month.
    NRA Benefactor