Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bersa Thunder Plus .380

Default Bersa Thunder Plus .380

I recently sold a supposed project gun that I changed my mind about, so I “re-invested” the funds from that sale. I found a Bersa Thunder Plus at a decent price. It is in excellent shape and came with 2 mags. Previous owner also installed a clip draw on it, which is my preferred method of holstering these days. Frame has either gone “plum”, or maybe it was sent out that way.
    I used to own the single stack version of this gun, but thought differently later, finding out that a b.u.g. need not be so heavy. This one, due to it’s capacity, size, weight ratio will be in the carry rotation on my hip.
    I have yet to shoot it. From Scootch’s review to others reviews, it looks like it may have a better trigger than that old single stack one had. I’m hoping so. With 16 rounds to fling at a bad guy, I think I will be ok, so long as I practice enough with it, knowing shot placement is everything.
    Any of you have one of these? Do you like it? Have you shot it much? Good? Bad?

0D1B269A-1015-4E19-A526-A7F9C8D50345.jpg450F22C6-41FE-49F7-9965-CEA48231ACC1.jpg652BD5DA-F785-4FFF-A295-D3B6A3609CEA.jpg

The Bersa Thunder.380 was my first pistol. Still have it. Reliable and accurate. The SA trigger pull is pretty good. Plan on giving to my son when he is old enough. Can't give a gun a higher recommendation than trusting it to protect my child.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyC View Post
    Can't give a gun a higher recommendation than trusting it to protect my child.
    Totally agree with that statement. So long as he’s a good kid I bet he’ll keep it forever!!!

I've had several forms of the Thunder/Firestorm. I've only kept one model, the T-22. The Thunder Plus as I recall was acceptably accurate and reliable. My biggest complaint was that it didn't takedown nor go back together easily. I always felt that too much pressure was needed between the barrel and the muzzle of the frame to get everything in the right position. There just didn't seem to be enough clearance. Thunders are known for finicky reassembly. I was afraid I'd crack the muzzle end of the frame. Controls were a bit stiff. The trigger was OK. The grip is great. Great concept that could have been a bit better designed and build. However... at the price point, a hundred dollars or more less than a Beretta 84 or a CZ 83, (the two most comparable .380 pistols), one can see some value in the Bersa. Magazines back then were like hens teeth.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    I've had several forms of the Thunder/Firestorm. I've only kept one model, the T-22. The Thunder Plus as I recall was acceptably accurate and reliable. My biggest complaint was that it didn't takedown nor go back together easily. I always felt that too much pressure was needed between the barrel and the muzzle of the frame to get everything in the right position. There just didn't seem to be enough clearance. Thunders are known for finicky reassembly. I was afraid I'd crack the muzzle end of the frame. Controls were a bit stiff. The trigger was OK. The grip is great. Great concept that could have been a bit better designed and build. However... at the price point, a hundred dollars or more less than a Beretta 84 or a CZ 83, (the two most comparable .380 pistols), one can see some value in the Bersa. Magazines back then were like hens teeth.
    Thanks for that feedback/info!!! I’m happy this came with 2 mags. I have seen them available, but man they are pricey!

Update: I LOVE THIS GUN! Just got back from the range. Awesome little gun. Ran a box of cheap stuff through it. Both targets shot at 20 FEET. 8" splatter targets.First shot being double action had that shot a bit low each time (yes, I should practice more), but the single action surprised me. I am not much of a shot, but I shoot it as decent as my CW9 at those distances. First target was the first mag through, and I took a bit of time for sight alignment. Second target is a few mags through, with some at a quick cadence. Again you can see the double action rounds down low.
    All in all, so far, I think I have a winner. Next step is the buy some Liberty ammo to run through it to see if it feeds reliably. If not I will stick with fmj.20210819_124703.jpg
    20210819_125738.jpg
    Last edited by BirdsThaWord; 08-19-2021 at 04:43 PM.

That's incredible for 20 yards. I seldom shoot that far, too embarrassing for me.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

That's some fine shootin'!

My stepson has a single stack Thunder. It always seemed too big and heavy for a 380. I haven't shot it though, I suppose that weight makes it comfortable to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    That's some fine shootin'!

My stepson has a single stack Thunder. It always seemed too big and heavy for a 380. I haven't shot it though, I suppose that weight makes it comfortable to shoot.
    Thank you sir! Yes, the weight makes quite a difference. Shooting a LCP afterwards was WOOOAH! In comparison.

Lol! You made me realize what I wrote Colonel. It was 20 feet, not yards. So, not as great a shot as originally typed
    I've done that well in the past with that Colt Competition 9mm, but I can not shoot as well anymore. I tried it the other day, and while everything landed in that 8" target, they were all over the place. But, I figure a mans head is not much smaller than that 8", so I should still be ok. Wish the eyes and hands were what they once were!