Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New to me Sig 365-not a good fit

Default New to me Sig 365-not a good fit

Here is a gun I got on a trade. Already regretting it, but wanted to move the Shotgun.

The buyer said he was short the full amount but asked if I would I take a Sig 365 XL for the difference. I was reluctant, as I had tested one before and just did not like them. The distance to from the Grip to the receiver is way too short for the Off hand which I find as important for a solid grip. The gun is snappy but not hard to control. . I DO NOT like the fat double stack magazines at all for a small gun. When testing the gun last year, we found the 365 would get a lot of felt vibration as shooting continued compared to other Micro 9mm's. The gun came with two 12 rd mags. I noticed that loading the10th round, it was difficult to load so will just stop with 9 rounds. The gun came with a dot sight which I do not like, much prefer to use my Point and shoot skills I have gained from years before.
    The difference of the cost from the shotgun was $350.00 including the Red Dot, so not a bad deal considering. I ran 100 rds of American Eagle 124 gr and it ran fine. I called my son up and told him to meet me at the range today and if he likes it, he can have it. Otherwise I will use it to trade for something else.
    For sure I much prefer the Kahr. And of course the trigger. This gun I now have is a good quality firearm, much much over rated. To be honest, the old Ruger LC9S was a better buy, A lot of similarity's in them especially the snappy shooting and trigger.

The First Round Fired is the most critical. You may be the lucky guy that gets to fire the second round, but do press your luck. Focus your training and practice on the first three rounds not the last three. Remember it is the Indian not the Arrow that counts.

Hopefully your son reads this thread and says “I like it”. With what you have in it, that was a great deal on your side.

Default New to me Sig 365-not a good fit

I’ll give you 50 for it just to help you get something out of a bad gun. I’ll even throw in a Kahr frame and trigger kit.
    Last edited by Covert Kahr; 08-20-2021 at 05:48 PM.

In the event your son decides against it. let me know. I've been wanting to play around with a 365 w/ red dot but local supply, and price are making that difficult.
    I'm not at all convinced that a red dot is a good idea on an EDC defensive handgun. I'm suspect my concern is born out of lack of practice with one. I LOVE the red dots I've installed on hunting guns. I have one on a Thompson Contender, and one on a .458 Win Mag rifle. I don't "snap shoot" when I'm hunting...even Cape Buffalo have been taken at close range..( 25 yards in one case) with aimed shots. I've handled Sig 365's w/ red dot at gun shows. When I bring the gun up to a firing position I find myself losing critical time "looking for the dot". Is that just lack of familiarity and practice..??
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by guido4198 View Post
    In the event your son decides against it. let me know. I've been wanting to play around with a 365 w/ red dot but local supply, and price are making that difficult.
    I'm not at all convinced that a red dot is a good idea on an EDC defensive handgun. I'm suspect my concern is born out of lack of practice with one. I LOVE the red dots I've installed on hunting guns. I have one on a Thompson Contender, and one on a .458 Win Mag rifle. I don't "snap shoot" when I'm hunting...even Cape Buffalo have been taken at close range..( 25 yards in one case) with aimed shots. I've handled Sig 365's w/ red dot at gun shows. When I bring the gun up to a firing position I find myself losing critical time "looking for the dot". Is that just lack of familiarity and practice..??
    Thanks.
    I also found the same thing with the Red Dot in that I lost critical time. I have spent too many years honing point and shoot skills to now start with a Red Dot. My son did not care for the gun, but said he did like the Red Dot and believes that for him the future is in Red dots and he wants to train with one. He is most likely shipping out to Iraq with the National guard in Nov. So I am at limbo what to do with the gun. I see the new Kimber R7 Mako is out and so far, if a red dot is what a person prefers, it seems that the Mako is designed specially for one. A better designed pistol so I may trade up for the Mako and have it for him when he returns. The only thing that bother me about the Mako from what I have seen so far is the trigger is not a safe EDC gun at all.
    Personally, I feel like I am set for life with the guns I do have. Guns are made for shooting often and with a ammo shortage even buying a new gun now is not time if you like to shoot often.

It seems EDC gun now are becoming more of a "Combat" firearm than Practical EDC. I am convinced the Kahr CM9 etc. remains one of the best out there. Light weight, smallest in size and again a fantastic trigger. Maybe in the future, the way things are going we will need a good combat carry. But not quite there yet.

With our department Glocks that had red dots installed I too found myself looking for the dot. When I held my relatively new Canik compact the red dot always seemed to be right there. Just holding it close to check if the dot still works, sometimes I can't find it, but any thing close to a shooting position it's right there. I'm trying to focus on still looking at the sights which of course always brings the dot into place.

I'm not been a big Red Dot advocate but it sure aided in accuracy at the range. Course I never shot this Canik without the red dot so could be a fluke. My full size Canik is plumb accurate without the dot??

Only the XL 365 comes with the dot so my standard will remain without the dot. I'm not in love with the 365 either but I continue to play with it. It does carry real nice, thin, light and comfy. The Canik being thicker still don't carry too bad, wear it all day without issue, course being a 1911 guy it's like it's not even there.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I had the 365, put a red dot on it, but found myself saying the same thing you guys are. It took time to find the dot. Going through that learned me though. That red dot is what pushed me to get a training laser and start training instinctive shooting. That vastly improved my 1st shot placement from a draw or ready. That and reading that many people have reported never having looked at their sights when a defense situation required them to shoot. With adrenaline pumping, I could imagine. To me, having to find that dot before pulling the trigger is not a lot different than carrying without a round in the chamber. “Hold on Mr Bad Guy! I’ve gotta find my dot, or I’ve gotta rack my slide”. I don’t know about follow up shots, but I can put the 1st shot on target waaaaay quicker now doing the instinctive shooting.

I bought a new Sig 320X Compact and then bought a red dot for it. I did not like the dot and it came right off.
    I think you need to be in the age group that does not know what a wall phone is perhaps to like them I did like my 365 though...
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
    I bought a new Sig 320X Compact and then bought a red dot for it. I did not like the dot and it came right off.
    I think you need to be in the age group that does not know what a wall phone is perhaps to like them I did like my 365 though...
    I agree 100%….I hated the peep sights on my M&P-15 AR rifle, I couldn’t really see well enough to make an accurate shot so I bought a very expensive red dot sight for it thinking this high tech thing would fix my old eyes and make me a good shooter again……After three range trips trying to make the thing work it just wasn’t cutting it…..I found myself moving the rifle around trying to center the dot but it just wasn’t for me so I bought a decent flip up square notch rear sight to hook up with the factory post front sight that I’m used to seeing in my brain and it worked, I’m not half bad with that set up even with not so good eyesight……Technology is great if it works for you but I’ll take old school if It lets me hit what I’m aiming at……

I can make a red dot work pretty good on a rifle because I can get cheek to stock consistent and easily. Now a pistol, that just doesn’t work for me. Much faster with iron sights.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/