Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My CW40

Default My CW40

So here is my CW40. I’ve had it not quite a year and only got a chance to go to the range this past Sunday due to COVID and work schedule. I bought a Vedder light tuck IWB holster for it and love how it feels in it, in my hands, and how it looks. I absolutely hate how it shoots. It’s got way too much recoil and the shots are all over the target. I have thought about getting rid of it but really don’t want to. So I’ve searched the sub-forum and found a post from like 2009 where a guy mentioned he looked in the new members area and found some info on how to clean the gun and buff it prior to the first live fire. So I found that thread and started to read it. Lots of cool info, but it’s going to take me a while to read it all. I’m more of a show me kind of person so hoping I find some pictures on what they are instructing on. I love the pistol and want to make it my EDC.

Hello Poppatello and welcome to Kahrtalk….My first Kahr was a CW40 back in 2009 and is how I found this place asking for help….At that time Obama had just been elected and everyone went on an ammo buying spree and it was hard to find any ammo but .40 S&W was available so I bought the CW40 and like you I liked everything about the gun but the recoil was not fun at all and I just couldn’t shoot it well…..I send the barrel and slide off to Mag-Na-Port thinking that would solve the recoil problem and even though they did a beautiful job on it the reality was it didn’t help much…..Snappy recoil with .40 ammo is the nature of the beast and you either learn to deal with it or move on to something else….My current pistol is a DLC PM9 and it’s a keeper, 100% reliable and it is fun to shoot which for me makes practice much more to my liking….

The new Kahr drill is, rack the slide 2-3 hundred times and lock the slide back for a couple days then lube it up good and shoot the crap out of it…. If the pistol functions ok then you got a good one but there is just no way to make .40 cal fun to shoot in a lightweight compact gun…..

Again welcome to the forum and if you have any questions there are lots of nice folks here to help you out……Good luck!
    Last edited by getsome; 09-04-2021 at 07:46 PM.

My P9 functioned right out of the box with no "new Kahr drill". I did the "new Kahr drill" on my CM9, as well as polishing of the frame rails, and it functioned fine from day one. My CW380 didn't function after the "new Kahr drill" and 350 rounds of break-in. I think it is sometimes a roll of the dice, and the smallest pistols are more prone to problems.

I thank you two for the replies. Not what I wanted to hear but I certainly suspected that was going to be the true outcome. I’m going to try and get the same size gun in a 9 since I already have that caliber in a Sig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 5 Kahrs and all ran right out of the box. I purposely didn't do the "New Kahr Drill" just to see if they needed it. The "New Kahr Drill is pretty much what I do to any new Semi Auto gun I buy regardless of brand. Get to know the gun, learn the assembly, clean and lube, just common sense.

Regarding the snappy recoil, you just need to get used to it or move on. As I mentioned earlier I carried my K40 for a long time but even magna ported the flip was just too obnoxious and really slowed down a second shot, so it pretty much resides in the toy box. I keep it just in case 40 is the only ammo I can find. I gave away a ton of 40. It's a good round no question in a full size gun but I prefer the 45.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I'm with you Bawanna. I have had eight Kahrs, currently four, and all have performed quite well right out of the box after some preparation.

I don't think recoil bothers me much, because my two most accurate Kahrs were both forties - an Mk40N and a CW40 which I sold. The MK40 is still my favorite Kahr, but I also have a PM9, CW45, and CM45. The PM9 is my go to pocket gun, but the others require a Holster.

I would suggest a set of Hogue Handall grips, they really help take the “sting” out of the small plastic grip.
    Also, the .40 s&w is a very versatile caliber to handload. I have a mild “powder puff” load using Hodgdon Clays that feels like half the recoil of my “full house” rounds.

In a 40, try some of the new ultralight bullets that only weigh about 100-115 grains, a lot less recoil.
    "The Deacon" Zoot Shooter #84
    Yup, I'm the guy at Surplus Rifle

Deacon, Deacon, damn that name sounds familiar. You've been kind of quiet. Make some noise.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I have 5 Kahrs and all ran right out of the box. I purposely didn't do the "New Kahr Drill" just to see if they needed it. The "New Kahr Drill is pretty much what I do to any new Semi Auto gun I buy regardless of brand. Get to know the gun, learn the assembly, clean and lube, just common sense.

Regarding the snappy recoil, you just need to get used to it or move on. As I mentioned earlier I carried my K40 for a long time but even magna ported the flip was just too obnoxious and really slowed down a second shot, so it pretty much resides in the toy box. I keep it just in case 40 is the only ammo I can find. I gave away a ton of 40. It's a good round no question in a full size gun but I prefer the 45.
    Thank you for your reply. I'll practice with it more. I really want to like the pistol. I've racked the slide a few times and held it locked back for a couple of days. Just need to take it to the range and see if there is any improvement. If not I'll just carry it but it will only get two or three mags of range time each time I go.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Dell View Post
    I'm with you Bawanna. I have had eight Kahrs, currently four, and all have performed quite well right out of the box after some preparation.

I don't think recoil bothers me much, because my two most accurate Kahrs were both forties - an Mk40N and a CW40 which I sold. The MK40 is still my favorite Kahr, but I also have a PM9, CW45, and CM45. The PM9 is my go to pocket gun, but the others require a Holster.
    Yeah, I am not sure what's going on. I have two other 40s but they are full size pistols and shoot beautifully and on target @ 15-20 yards. The 9's I have are the same way. My P320 in a 9 is my favorite full size to carry right now and it's a compact. But it's a double stack so kind of fat. LoL

Quote Originally Posted by texjack View Post
    I would suggest a set of Hogue Handall grips, they really help take the “sting” out of the small plastic grip.
    Also, the .40 s&w is a very versatile caliber to handload. I have a mild “powder puff” load using Hodgdon Clays that feels like half the recoil of my “full house” rounds.
    I will look into them thanks texjack.

Quote Originally Posted by DeaconKC View Post
    In a 40, try some of the new ultralight bullets that only weigh about 100-115 grains, a lot less recoil.
    I just purchased some Freedom 165 grain DHP ammo. I want to try that first and go from there. I looked high and low for lower grain ammo but this was it. I was shooting 180 grain PPU DHP. I have a huge inventory of it, and it shoots good in my full size pistols with little recoil.