Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen   Xssights   Kahr Shop
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My CW40

As for the lighter ammo, might I suggest some of the Liberty Ammunition stuff. It is my favorite 9mm defense round. Shoots soft and the velocity is out of this world. Sometimes hard to find and expensive, but everyone I’ve turned onto it said they loved it. As an added benefit, it really is lightweight, meaning you spare mags (if you carry them) and your gun itself weigh noticeably less when loaded with liberty. The lost, recoil absorbing weight in your pistol will not be missed, as again, it really does shoot soft.

Years ago, I started using a "death grip" when shooting my CW40. Actually I switched to using a really tight grip when shooting all my handguns. Has helped my accuracy with all of them, but the CW40 in particular. Also moved from Weaver to Isosceles. I did both at the same time, so I am not sure which helped more, but my CW is very accurate in my hands. Surprisingly so. As to the snappiness of the recoil, 165 grain Remington seems less snappy than the others. Either that or 165gr Winchester White Box, but I haven't found WWB in hollow point. All of the self-defense 40 has some snap, but I figure if I have to use it in a SD situation snappy recoil is going to be the least of my worries.

As an aside, handloads with a healthy dose of Power Pistol combine that snappy recoil with a really cool fireball. Everyone else on the line will give you a "WTF" look.

I've been using .40 cal. as my primary, carry, and practice ammo for a while. I love the caliber, but I must admit, it took a bit of time for me to find the right firearm to shoot and carry that caliber. It's just a tough round to shoot in a smaller gun. If you want to get confident with the caliber, you have to stick to it. If it already feels like too much recoil, it probably is. I would never try to dissuade someone from my favorite round but shooting it out of small firearms is a bit more challenging than a full size auto.

Ken, I feel ya. I tried the death grip thing, but it always seemed to pull me off target. Maybe if I stuck with it longer!
    Berreta, There’s no doubt that a 40 is an excellent defense caliber. If I could put a bunch of shots on target real quick with one, it would be my round for sure!

Bird, the trick with a tight grip is to squeeze tight only with the 3 lower fingers, not the index finger or the thumb. Support hand actually does most of the work, as the support hand pulls back on the lower three fingers in an Isosceles stance. You can actually put more force on the gun with the support hand than you think; something like 60%. Since the index finger and thumb of the shooting hand need to be mobile, well the thumb not so much with a Kahr but with a 1911 it needs to be mobile to work the safety, it takes a bit of practice. Usually a tight grip that includes the index finger will affect the shot because the finger puts weird pressure on the gun as it's pulling the trigger if it feels like it's a part of the grip. Practice, my friend. Especially with dry fire. It'll become second nature.

Thanks for that info Ken! I shall give your method a go and see what happens. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsThaWord View Post
    Ken, I feel ya. I tried the death grip thing, but it always seemed to pull me off target. Maybe if I stuck with it longer!
    Berreta, There’s no doubt that a 40 is an excellent defense caliber. If I could put a bunch of shots on target real quick with one, it would be my round for sure!
    I can put 10 rapid shots into an FBI size torso target real quick no problem. Start at the waist and let er rise. That's what I use the caliber for. If I want pinpoint accuracy, I'll use a .22 cal. I've also shot .40 out of many different handguns and my H&K P2SK handles the .40 real nice. I do not know anyone who can rapid fire a magazine full and keep all of the shots within a 10" circle unless they're using a .22 or some other small caliber without much recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    I can put 10 rapid shots into an FBI size torso target real quick no problem. Start at the waist and let er rise. That's what I use the caliber for. If I want pinpoint accuracy, I'll use a .22 cal. I've also shot .40 out of many different handguns and my H&K P2SK handles the .40 real nice. I do not know anyone who can rapid fire a magazine full and keep all of the shots within a 10" circle unless they're using a .22 or some other small caliber without much recoil.
    Maybe I should listen closer to you guys. Both of you guys points have me reconsidering. I’ve put so much focus on keeping shots within just a few inches of each other, using 8”’shoot & see targets only, and always at at least 10’ - 20’. I’m going to get me some more range time in with the 9 (CW9) using silhouettes and within the 7-10 ft range. I want to see what I can do rapid firing. Heck, if I can do super well I may move up to a 40, maybe even a 1911. Gotta get back to the range first though. All starts with that! (been a few weeks). Thanks guys!