Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace

Thread: Replacing 1927-A1 Factory Rear Sight with New Lyman Sight

Default Replacing 1927-A1 Factory Rear Sight with New Lyman Sight

Howdy folks, I recently purchased a new 1927-A1 from a GunBroker dealer. I am trying to replace the factory rear sight with a new Lyman sight. However the screws on the current sight do not want to move. Are these "peened" from inside the receiver so as to make them difficult to remove? Has anyone had any experience in removing the rear sight screws? At this point I am thinking I will need to take it to a gunsmith to get the new sight put on. Thanks for any advice.

I'll try to look at mine tomorrow. For some reason I'm thinking rivets but I don't recall. You might be able to see inside if you take the slide off.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I looked at mine when I finally remembered and it also has slotted screws. I didn't try to turn them, I'll try to pull it apart and look on the inside first chance I get. Seems like always something going on last couple weeks.

I'll also have to look at that Lyman sight, the factory rear sight ain't much for a sight picture. I generally flip up the ladder and use the peep. I rarely shoot the thing especially now with the ammo situation.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thanks for the follow-up Bawanna. I pulled mine apart and each screw is staked two or three times. I am taking the upper into a gunsmith and see if he can grind out just enough on the screws to get them to turn out, and then go ahead and install the new sight. Wish Auto-Ordnance had used Loctite instead of staking. But then I guess that is how it was done "back when". Thanks again.

I imagine back in the day or even now when they are full auto, they probably needed to stake them to keep from flying off. I looked at the Lyman sight and I'm definitely not shelling out that kind of loot for one. In the pictures it doesn't look much better than what I got really. If I see one in person I might change my tune. Like I say I don't hardly shoot it, just love to look at it and hold it sometimes. Good for upper body exercise if nothing else. Things are brutally heavy.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan