Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K9 slide seems loose

Default K9 slide seems loose

I have a K9 that was bought new.I recently put some TFX Pro sights on it. love the sights and the pistol.
    The slide is fairly loose on the frame. As in, I can hold it with a normal grip and shake it back and forth and it rattles and moves more than other Kahrs I’ve had , and currently have. ( PM9,CM9, PM45, and P380)Like how an AK is on the loose side.
    I have MAYBE 250 or so rounds through it. Barely broke in. Not one problem. Ever!
    My new CW45 is fairly tight in comparison.
    Internet “experts” always rag on Kahr because of the recommended long break in because of tight tolerances, but I’m thinking that Kahr rethought this and started making them looser to keep from having teething problems.
    Or do I just have a rattle trap K9?
    I’m not complaining, but just wondering if this is normal….

We had another fella not long ago mention that he thought his was too loose. Generally not the case but at the same time if your not having any issues I wouldn't be too concerned. It rattles with a loaded magazine in place?

I've said it before, all guns need a break in, Kahr is one of the few that mention it. I believe even Wilson makes mention of a break in period. Most Kahrs don't need it, none of mine ever balked, but apparently many do so it does happen.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Yes, it rattles with a loaded mag, nothing in chamber. It rattles much less, but still does.
    By comparison, my CW45 is very tight even unloaded, and almost no rattle when a full mag inserted. Same with my CZ’s and Berettas.
    I'm not worried at all, due to how well it shoots, I was just wondering if it’s typical of the K series vs the Poly series. Different designs not withstanding.
    Unloaded, it reminds me of an old rattle trap AK! Lol
    This just took me by surprise a bit…

This is one of many times I wish I could hold that thing and see just how bad it rattles. I think your right in not being worried but it is against the norm. They generally are pretty tight.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Mine rattles, too. Bugged me at first (well, still does a bit), but shoots fine.

Yeah Tokuno, I try to not let it bother me, but I know it’s there, so it does.
    Just for laughs, I got the calipers out and checked a few things.
    The front under lug measures around 15.8 mm, and the inside of the dust cover where it rides measures 16.2. So that’s roughly .4-.5 difference. So there’s the side rattle.
    The up and down at the front looks to be around the same. But at the frame rails, the slide seems tight. Which is good.
    Love this rattle trap. Ha ha.
    Last edited by Jabski; 09-11-2021 at 02:37 PM.

So I finally got tired of knowing and hearing/ seeing the slide rattle and move side to side, so I created a ticket and sent it in. Kahr received it on 06-26, and I already got an email yesterday saying that it was shipped back. I’m supposed to get it Monday 7-11.
    To be honest, that quick of a return time is either going to be a spectacular “fix” or a “ nothing found” scenario, and if it’s the latter, I’ll be a bit pissed.
    Ive NEVER had a pistol with this much slide slop. Kahrs are in my experience just the opposite. Tight…
    This should be interesting.

What was the verdict?
    My K9 slide fits very loosely on the frame. It never really bothered me though because it’s a beat-up NYDP turn-in. It’s reliable and shoots well. My T9 fit is much tighter.

I never understood the purpose of shaking and trying to "rattle" a handgun. Leave it in your holster, take it out to shoot at the range, pull it in a self defense situation, and clean it when needed.

I have never took a gun out of the box and felt the need to shake it.

Quote Originally Posted by 187911 View Post
    I never understood the purpose of shaking and trying to "rattle" a handgun. Leave it in your holster, take it out to shoot at the range, pull it in a self defense situation, and clean it when needed.

I have never took a gun out of the box and felt the need to shake it.
    You don’t always have to shake the pistol like a maraca to notice this stuff.
    My K9 slide has obvious movement just handling it to wipe it down or when when presenting it to shoot at a target. The only other pistol in my collection with that kind of slide/frame slop is a well worn WWI era 1911.