Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: K9 slide seems loose

I don’t shake firearms as a practice, but this one was so noisy I shook it to try to figure out what was rattling. I’ve never had a pistol rattle like this one does. An AK yeah, but not a pistol.

Kahr sent it back saying it was within tolerance. Mine wasn’t an old beat to crap one, it was brand new, which is why It annoys me.
    My value series pistols are tight as hell, slide fitment wise. In fact , of the 17 or so new pistols I’ve owned, NONE have had ANY size to side play or made a sound if handled.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabski View Post
    Kahr sent it back saying it was within tolerance. Mine wasn’t an old beat to crap one, it was brand new, which is why It annoys me.
    My value series pistols are tight as hell, slide fitment wise. In fact , of the 17 or so new pistols I’ve owned, NONE have had ANY size to side play or made a sound if handled.
    Jabari, your K9 is accurate and reliable? My new to me K9 rattles as well...

Yes, sorry, I just saw your post.
    Mine is accurate and reliable. Well, I’m not that great of a shooter, but I dont think it’s the Guns fault. It’s just a rattletrap, and It’s not out of the realm of possibilities as to that being the reason yours was sold in the first place If it’s as loose as mine is.
    Mine has noticeable side to side movement at the end of the dust cover where the lug of the slide rides. The whole slide moves side to side, less so up and down.I really can’t believe that it DOESN’T affect accuracy though.
    If I was braver, I’d try squeezing it gently in a vice, as others have suggested.
    But I Dont think I’ll do that just yet. Maybe some other time if I just get fed up with it…
    Last edited by Jabski; 01-31-2023 at 02:45 PM.

It takes a big vise bolted down and a lot of leverage via a pipe extension to bend a slide. Been there done that with a Colt Gold Cup. Vertical slop is taken out by peening the rails. Scary work. I then worked it with valve grinding compound to lap it in. Have fun.

dust, luckily I Dont have a big vice or I MIGHT try it. I’ll just live with it.. ha ha

"It takes a big vise bolted down and a lot of leverage via a pipe extension to bend a slide. Been there done that with a Colt Gold Cup. Vertical slop is taken out by peening the rails. Scary work. I then worked it with valve grinding compound to lap it in. Have fun."

"dust, luckily I Dont have a big vice or I MIGHT try it. I’ll just live with it.. ha ha"

Don't try to tighten the slide in any way. I'd be willing to bet you'd crack one or both rails at the rear. The groove walls, are to thin.
    I learned this the hard way. Back when I did this there was a more lenient admin with Dottie Harold in place. So they just replaced the slide free of charge.

IMHO a tight slide or loose slide doesn't effect accuracy when shooting off hand. If shooting from a Ransom Rest then a tight slide to frame is important.
    We have two edc K9 98 Elites bought back in about 1998 and to this date they've never malfunctioned from a failure to feed, eject, and any misfire was from bad primers.

^^ Correct. That rattle ain't gonna hurt your chances of hitting your target.

If you want to hear a rattle, you should see my PF9. And it's not inaccurate either.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeMe View Post
    ^^ Correct. That rattle ain't gonna hurt your chances of hitting your target.

If you want to hear a rattle, you should see my PF9. And it's not inaccurate either.
    Oh Hell No, I’d NEVER try that! Too much of a chicken ****. I love to tinker, upgrade and what not, ( like fully Cajunizing my PCR and BD97)but like others have said, I’ll just live with it. It’s accurate and a sharp looking pistol, so there’s that…

I've had a K9 since around 2001. The slide is loose but I've never had a problem with it. My T40 is tighter, but doesn't shoot any better and is similarly reliable. My plastic Kahrs are tighter, but I usually have to clean out the plastic shavings for the first couple hundred rounds (if bought new).

For the record, I notice slight slide wiggle with high quality firearms when unloaded including from H&K, Glock, S&W, and FN. Maybe it's just the ones I've fired (many were new when fired).