Xssights   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Differences in K9 wood grips

Default Differences in K9 wood grips

So, it looks like there are two primary variations of K9 wood grips out there (both of which may or may not be made by Hogue).

Fully checkered with the “K” emblem:
    https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/gr...d-e9-k143p.asp

Partially checkered with no emblem:
    http://www.ktest.biz/Grips/Kahr-Wood...K143P.asp.html

I currently have the former, but I prefer the more classic look of the latter. Are there any differences in thickness or contour between these two variations (I honestly wouldn’t mind a bit of extra girth—the K emblem grips are the same thickness as the factory rubber grips)? Is that “ktest.biz” site legit? Or is it some artifact/remnant of an earlier site?

I get the sense the “K” emblem grips replaced the partially checkered variety. But I’d consider grabbing a pair of the partially checkered ones if they’re still for sale somewhere.

Thanks!

I'm thinking since it says K series and E series they must be for the early version of the K, wait, I'm stuck on MK here.

MK's early and later frames are different. Not certain if the same is true for the K or not.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I'm thinking since it says K series and E series they must be for the early version of the K, wait, I'm stuck on MK here.

MK's early and later frames are different. Not certain if the same is true for the K or not.
    Hmm. Thanks for the insight. Both versions say K9 & E9--so I'd think they're interchangeable.

Interestingly, the listing for older style (non K-emblem) mentions that you need longer screws. Also found the older style for sale on a German website and it says the same thing about the screws. So, I'm thinking the older, non-K grips might be a little thicker? (which is one reason I'm interested) Because you definitely don't need longer screws with the current wood grips Kahr is selling.

Don't forget the smooth version of grips.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

A lot depends on how deep you recess the screws. I've sometimes made grips thicker and just set the screws deeper so standard screws would work either way.
    The thread pattern is the same as a 1911 so not really a big issue.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

A lot depends on how deep you recess the screws. I've sometimes made grips thicker and just set the screws deeper so standard screws would work either way.
    The thread pattern is the same as a 1911 so not really a big issue.
    Good point. The wood grips I have currently don't seem to be very recessed; they sit more or less flush with the surface of the grip. And they take the standard length screws.

Also interesting... the older K9 wood grips look very similar the current T9 grips (just shorter). And the T9 grips also call for the "long screws." Which would suggest they're a bit thicker? Maybe...

Long story short... my "somewhat informed" hypothesis is that these older-style, partially checkered K9 grips are slightly thicker (i.e., wider) than the ones being offered now. I'm thinking a little extra girth might offer better lateral support/recoil control. If I ever find a pair, I'll grab 'em.

This time of year I got a lot of fires burning but give me a little time and maybe I can whittle you out a set.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

This time of year I got a lot of fires burning but give me a little time and maybe I can whittle you out a set.
    I appreciate the offer! Thanks a lot. If you get around to it... sure. Let me know what I owe you!

Grips from Bawanna sounds like a better option all around. I used the wood grips for a short term (longer screws, IIRC, so they are probably the older version). They definitely were thicker than the stock rubbers. I went back to the rubber grips though (although keeping the wood grips for options in the future).

IMO, they didn't really make a difference in recoil. I also don't remember if they made it harder to press the magazine release like they do on my T40.

IMO, the best way to reduce recoil and flip on the K9 is make sure your hold is as high as possible (not high enough for slide bite of course). When I first got the K9 (about 20 years ago) I thought it had a lot of flip. It wasn't until later that I learned I was holding it too low. Now, using a higher hold, the flip is minimal even with +P ammo.

I had the wood grips on my early K9 for a while - until one side broke off the little tang at the rear. I could have predicted it, because of the way the grain runs. Hogue obviously predicted it too, because they were made with a little metal reinforcement glued to the underside....which wasn't a raging success. I never replaced them. I didn't buy the grips for recoil management. I never have thought the K9 needs that. As Scott321 says above, if you hold the pistol properly, recoil really isn't a big deal. I got those because I thought the rubber grips were a little too grippy for concealed carry. I eventually acquired a set of the hard plastic grips, which cured that "problem". My Elite '03 K9 has the rubber grips it came with, but I haven't bothered to change it. It may actually be a harder rubber, but in any case, it has presented no problem.

The P9, OTOH could stand to be a little fuller in the grip. But it's a trade off I'm willing to go with.