Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reunion With CW9

Default Reunion With CW9

After several years of struggling with another pistol brand’s light weight, short pull, gritty trigger I went back to my CW9 (and an old but NIB P9) for a nice reunion. I had forgotten how smooth and safe my Kahr triggers are and how much I love the compact size and light weight. Now I need some range time for the reunion to be complete.

I was surprised to read in another thread that P9s are selling for $400 or less in like new condition. My P9 is about 10 years old and it’s never been fired since leaving the factory. I’m thinking I paid more than $400 for it with a special order. The current value doesn’t matter since I intend to shoot it now, but I thought the P9 would be a very popular (and more valuable) compact model. Has the P9 fallen from grace.?

There’s not much visible difference between my CW9and P9, so I’m happy with both.
    Last edited by SwampDude; 10-02-2021 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Correct model number

I dunno what pricing is like these days (I’m afraid to look), but my CW9 is still a great companion.
    My brother liked it so much he bought a nice used P9 from his dentist for $350 early last year before the pandemic hit.

Having said all that, I would like to see Kahr make the CW9 or the PM9 Covert into a 10+1 double stack. The grip wouldn’t have to be thickened much, would it?
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

I've seen one of the big outdoor stores selling new P9's for $350 a couple of times recently. That has to have an effect. But I think what's really driving Kahrs loss of market is their lack of innovation in the face of a very innovative market. The basic design was innovative 25 years ago and remains so although it is lost on many, but there have been no significant changes to keep up with competition. One thing that really hurts is their failure to produce an optics ready model that we were teased with a few years ago. And then there's the capacity thing that most of us probably don't think is very important, but new gun owners probably do.

BTW, I like my P9 more every day.

Agreed, but it appears that Mr. Moon’s attention is all on Auto Ordnance and Magnum Research.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

That's not all together a horrible bad thing, Auto Ordnance and Magnum Research make some mighty fine guns.

On the Kahr, I find it just a tad bit perplexing wanting optics on a small easily concealable handgun. I got a pistol with a Red Dot just to see if I could get along with one and like it more and more as time goes by but can't grasp it on a gun that some (not me ever) carry in their pocket.

Like the venerable 1911, you reach a point where there's not a lot you can do to make it better although they never stop trying.

Granted perhaps they could come out with a new Kahr model, a double stack that so many seem to think is the cats pajama's but still small and light just to widen the market a bit. Course what I think don't matter much, I'm just a displaced Missouri dirt farmer.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I think that one thing Kahr could do in order to make their guns more appealing to more people would be to find a way to lighten the amount of force needed to rack the slide. My LGS tells me that whenever he shows a Kahr to someone they express interest and satisfaction in the size and weight, and then nearly always lament how hard it is to rack the slide, and back on the shelf it goes. My wife shoots them very well but no longer carries them because of this. They are hard to beat in weight and dimension but this aspect sets them apart. And limits their popularity.

It would also be nice to see a steel .45 made by them. I love my PM45 and have yet to hold a P45, but I'd be very very interested in an MK45 or K45 that were sized exactly like the PM and P45 respectfully. I don't think it would take a whole of R&D to come up with one or the other, and if one pays attention to things like .45 sales on venues like gunbroker it's easy to see that there is a high demand for the .45 and the prices tend to be higher as a consequence.

Those two things alone would bring new owners and existing owners to the counter to buy more Kahrs methinks.

Congrats on rediscovering your CW9 and beginning to use your P9 swampdude. Kahrs are definitely fine handguns.

For sure, an all steel 45 either K or MK or even T size would be a welcome addition.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Yep, the CW9 is now my only plastic fantastic left ... I like it enough to carry it on Sundays, and for the occasional "social event", but that's about it. If it were steel, and had a substantial weight I would be a lot more satisfied. I just prefer the stability of steel framed guns, and at only 68 it's no big issue for the little added weight to carry all day.

jd

It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    I think that one thing Kahr could do in order to make their guns more appealing to more people would be to find a way to lighten the amount of force needed to rack the slide. My LGS tells me that whenever he shows a Kahr to someone they express interest and satisfaction in the size and weight, and then nearly always lament how hard it is to rack the slide, and back on the shelf it goes. My wife shoots them very well but no longer carries them because of this. They are hard to beat in weight and dimension but this aspect sets them apart. And limits their popularity.
    I agree and that’s why I purchased one of LAKELINE LLC’s charging handles for my CW9. It’s fairly expensive but it works to rack the slide much easier but I have to admit you have to be careful with it as the top edges can bite you sometimes when racking the slide or when shooting.

A representative from LAKELINE told me it was a compromise from being sharp for ease of racking or not sharp enough to grasp and said one could round off the edges if too sharp. Still, I think they could have rounded the edges slightly.

Anyway, the CW9 is a beauty and the smooth double action pull is a delight. The long trigger pull takes a little getting used to but is easily mastered after a couple of magazines. It may have a “plastic” bottom end but it’s a wonderful pistol!

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    ...On the Kahr, I find it just a tad bit perplexing wanting optics on a small easily concealable handgun. I got a pistol with a Red Dot just to see if I could get along with one and like it more and more as time goes by but can't grasp it on a gun that some (not me ever) carry in their pocket...
    My pockets aren't that big either.
    What's perplexing, is that front sight gets fuzzier all the time. The dots continue to shrink in size. Leupold's new Delta Point Micro goes right on the Glock or S&W M&P and Shield rear sight dovetail and has an extremely carry-friendly profile. It looks like it would be perfect on a P9, but sadly, they aren't making it to fit the Kahrs. I hope they eventually do, but I'm not holding my breath. Others will follow, I'd bet. Maybe we can petition for Justin to uh....adjust Kahr's rear dovetail a bit?

https://www.leupold.com/deltapoint-micro-s-w-m-p