Xssights   Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polymer coated bullets in PM9?

Default Polymer coated bullets in PM9?

Like the title says, I'm wondering about using polymer coated bullets in the polygonal rifling of my PM9? Specifically the 135 gr bullets from the Blue Bullet company? I know that lead is supposed to be questionable but does anyone have experience with poly coated? Appreciate the input!

I’ll add to the many responses. I run ACME and BMB coated bullets through my Kahrs and not a single problem with deposits or gunk buildup. With that said, coated lead is loaded with more case mouth belling to avoid scraping off the coating.

Yea I can see this is a hot thread! I went ahead and ran 50 Blue Bullets that are polymer coated through it with no issues. Appreciate your response. I probably should have put this in the reloading thread!

I'm always reluctant to respond to questions that I don't have a pretty solid answer for myself and many others are the same. In my own opinion, worth absolutely nothing, I'd think it would be ok. The issue with polygonal rifling is lead. The polymer coating eliminates leading so it makes sense it would work.
    Glock especially says no lead, could be catastrophic. But I've heard of several that shoot lead regularly. I tried to make them understand as the armorer instructor pointed out, you might have 500 with no issue and 501 blows up.
    Around here we can't shoot lead anymore anyhow which sucks as I got a bunch of 45 Colt with lead bullets. Have to find an outdoor range or pit to shoot at. Those are getting harder and harder to find too.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I would recommend the Blue Bullets. No leading and for cleanup all I did was rung a plastic brush through the barrel to remove the fouling residue. Made me happy!

I can't speak specifically about the Blue Bullets, which I haven't tried. One brand of coated lead I've tried in one of my revolvers uses a somewhat fragile coating that seems to easily scratch off. Another has a coating that seems indestructible, even when struck with hammer on anvil - hard enough to cause dramatic deformation of the bullet. I'd have no hesitation to use something similar to the latter in my Kahrs. Probably will be going to that soon, since I'll be running out of my remaining loads with (defunct) Rainier plated bullets.

BTW, neither of those coated lead bullets I've tried have left any leading in the revolver.

Rainier is defunct???? Hadn't heard that.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Bought a bunch of Blue Bullets a while back in 38/357 & 9. They’ve evidently resolved their issues with powdery, blue, hand-staining residue - the boxes I’ve opened all look clean. Picking up 4lbs each of Unique and 2400 on Monday. Dunno when the saltmines will ease the thumbscrews sufficient for bench time, tho.

I loaded and shot thousands of ACME red coated in 9, 38SC and 45 over many years. I’ve used Bayou green and of late Brass Monkey. First ACME red; the last two years something changed in their process of applying the coating. The coating is thicker and is more easy to scrape off. They, ACME, claim it’s still Hi-Tek coating. Hi-Tek was or still is produced in Australia. I think Bayou was the first to use it in the USA. At that time it was only green now there are more colors. Second Bayou; I’ve loaded their 200 SWC and they are a very accurate bullet. The bullet can be crushed and the Hi-Tek coating stays intact. Next Brass Monkey Bullets; started loading them a year ago in 38SC and 45. They also use Hi-Tek coating and can be crushed without the coating flaking off.

I tried to smash a Blue Bullet this afternoon...it stayed intact even though flattened! I was impressed. They performed well in my PM9 so I'll place another order next week.