Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leupold Deltapoint Micro mount!

Default Leupold Deltapoint Micro mount!

This is something that the community might find interesting - After getting a Leupold Deltapoint Micro for a Glock on a pretty killer sale, I decided to make a mount for my (old style) K40 carry pistol, since I couldn't find any good MRO options that didn't require machining the slide. I had to do a couple of iterations to get the dimensions right, but I think it turned out to be quite serviceable.

Here's the base that I had 3d printed in steel:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/VCZ71WwMhDDUp4Eu5

Since you really can't effectively print good M4 threaded holes, I clearance drilled and tapped them to fit the screws for the DPM. The base was a good press fit to the slide dovetail.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/BTF3irERL4MqU9F8A

The DPM mounted up just fine, fits nice and securely, though you have to take off the battery cover to put the slide back on the frame.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/LxUohmAGebpEcPLY7

If anyone is interested, I'm willing to share the 3d model file for a nominal donation to offset the development costs. I had the piece printed by Shapeways, which cost about $40 including shipping, to have it printed in steel.

Nice!

Would this be the same size for a later new style PM9?

I'm familiar with red dots having a Vortex Venom on my modified CZ SP01, though it's much bigger than the DPM.

How do you like the little DPM with regards to presentation and dot pickup?

TIA!

Nice. I contacted Leupold and asked if they would be making the DPM available for other pistols including Kahrs. They answered "that's the plan". To paraphrase their further comments - it's going to depend on how well the DPM is received. So, what do you think of the sight? Can you see the front sight through the DPM?

I think the new style sight cut is significantly narrower than the old-style cut, per Dawson Precision's website. as far as the DPM goes, I have no trouble acquiring the dot. Less than with the more conventional MRO sights on some of my other pistols. I think this is because it's so close to the original placement of the notch sight that it's just more natural than having a higher height-over-bore from a more conventional MRO. It also works decently as a ghost ring sight once you figure out how far up in the aperture your front blade needs to be.

I like the DPM quite a bit for what it is. It's excellent for concealed carry, since it only sticks up about a quarter inch over the top of the slide, and the rear extension hasn't been a problem for me. You can see the front sight through the DPM, and it does work as a ghost ring once you know what your sight presentation should look like (mine likes to be just below midline of the aperture). I think it's definitely a chicken and egg problem - it's only available for Glocks and S&W, and while those are a big chunk of the market, based on my experience, creating different dovetail adapters is a trivial exercise for a commercial enterprise like Leupold. I think that shooters are also inherently conservative and reluctant to try things that are different, even if it is a good idea.

Like to see one of these on a Sig 365 which I'm sure will come along shortly as popular as they are.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thanks Bearddevil, thinking hard about one for my PM9 (which would only need the correct dovetail adapter).

Curious, does the mounted DPM allow for one handed slide cycling (i.e. without losing zero etc)?

It says that is the case. That's kind of a plus. Sounds like there's seldom a reason to remove the DPM itself to disassemble or change batteries etc. I'm not a red dot guy but this kind of has me interested.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearddevil View Post
    I like the DPM quite a bit for what it is. It's excellent for concealed carry, since it only sticks up about a quarter inch over the top of the slide, and the rear extension hasn't been a problem for me. You can see the front sight through the DPM, and it does work as a ghost ring once you know what your sight presentation should look like (mine likes to be just below midline of the aperture). I think it's definitely a chicken and egg problem - it's only available for Glocks and S&W, and while those are a big chunk of the market, based on my experience, creating different dovetail adapters is a trivial exercise for a commercial enterprise like Leupold. I think that shooters are also inherently conservative and reluctant to try things that are different, even if it is a good idea.
    Pretty much what I've suspected. I can't tell on my little screen - is it a press fit, or does it have a set screw?

I'm not much of a dot guy either ; I am baffled about adapters vs milling the slot though.

NRA LIFER

IDPA BELIEVER