Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dots again

Quote Originally Posted by DJK11 View Post
    Didn’t I mention in my second post about machining a custom dovetail mount. Not that difficult. Chunk of metal, a file and drill n’ tap. WALLA!

Look for my post on modifying a TFX rear sight for a CZ97. After all we should ALL be interested, right.
    You've convinced me. The more I look at it, the more it seems doable. I'm going to see if my favorite gunsmith is up to the task.

Bawanna - I am loathe to give up my open sights too. In this case though, even with the DeltaPoint Micro going dead, it looks to me like it would function as a ghost ring. I've done a lot of shooting with essentially the same thing on another pistol, and it can be surprisingly accurate at speed. This is the #1 main reason I'm interested in this sight. #2 is that it looks like I can make it work on the Kahr without sending the gun off for milling.

Have a Canik TP9SFx. Put a Swampfox Justice red dot on it. Red dot makes shots longer than 10 or 12 yards easier for my aging eyes. Less than that the irons are fine and just as fast. What I did note, and as others have said, is that any technique glitches are really easy to diagnose when shooting a fast string with a red dot. For me, it's usually an inconsistent grip that makes second and subsequent shots poor. The red dot is really easy to track as I pull the gun down out of recoil. I tend to pull the gun down to hard and make low hits when shooting fast. Being able to see myself doing that makes it easy to correct my own practice. Don't know that I'll make the switch to red dots for competition or serious carry, but I do like being able to easily track the pistol in recoil. Great teaching tool.

So, does anyone know whether the Kahr PM9 dovetail is the same as either the Glock or S&W dovetails used by the DeltaPoint-Micro (I have a Vortex red dot on my modded CZ SP01, love it!)?

Would likely try one out if it's not too much hassle to install?

http://https://www.leupold.com/shop/...ltapoint-micro

Hmmm, it looks close, so I reached to Deltapoint to see their thoughts, and whether they had any accurate design docs showing the true dimensions.

Will update here if I get any data.

As far as the position on the slide it looks like it might work. On my CM9 the dove tail looks to be wider than on a Glock. I am Farsighted, with my cheaters I can see the sights but not the target. Without my cheaters I can see the target but not the sights. The RDS’s are a game changer for me, and I am trying to outfit most of my pistols with them. I have both, the Holosuns and the Leupold Delta Micro.

Quote Originally Posted by markman View Post
    As far as the position on the slide it looks like it might work. On my CM9 the dove tail looks to be wider than on a Glock. I am Farsighted, with my cheaters I can see the sights but not the target. Without my cheaters I can see the target but not the sights. The RDS’s are a game changer for me, and I am trying to outfit most of my pistols with them. I have both, the Holosuns and the Leupold Delta Micro.
    Leupold says...

Good morning,
    We have not done any testing on that. I do not think it will fit though.

Regards,
    Matthew
    ...though like you I think it looks promising (I'm hoping the Glock model would work?)!

Could you some get some accurate measurements of your DeltaPoint Micro, which is hopefully a Glock model?

I'm curious whether it'll clear the rear end of the PM9's slide with it's dovetail lined up with the PM9's?

It looks like the Shield version would work, but it would hang farther off the rear adding more to the OAL, which might be uncomfortable etc?

I have the same issues with my eyes at 68, and have had a Vortex Red Dot on my modded CZ SP01 for many years (along with a Light/Laser for home defense/range), so I'm used to acquiring the dot when presenting etc, and I am much better with it vs the iron sights.

Having one on a carry pistol might not really be needed due the ranges involved in typical legal self-defense shootings, but I like that you can use it as BUIS/Ghost Ring too as it co-witnesses wit the front sight, so I would strongly consider one if it can be made to fit relatively easily (i.e. if the dovetails are lined up, will it clear the back of the slide etc?).

Thx!
    Last edited by djd100; 09-16-2022 at 02:06 PM.

Might send an email to Kahr, they would know if the dovetail is compatible with other brands. I've done that with my Dan Wesson and others.
    My few contacts at Kahr have kind of dried up so I probably can't help much in that department. I need to work on getting some new contacts.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Might send an email to Kahr, they would know if the dovetail is compatible with other brands. I've done that with my Dan Wesson and others.
    My few contacts at Kahr have kind of dried up so I probably can't help much in that department. I need to work on getting some new contacts.
    Great thought, will do and update, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by djd100 View Post
    Great thought, will do and update, thanks.
    From Kahr CS...

They are not the same dovetail cut, the sight are not interactable, and we do not make anything at this time to allow red dots to be mounted to the slides.
    Kind regards,
    Mark
    Customer Service Department
    PA Facility
    KAHR Firearms Group

So, it looks like the dovetail adapter will need to be created (that's the part that sits in the dovetail that the DeltaPoint Micro screws into), and perhaps even the generic adapter that ships with could work if it fits loosely into the slide's dovetail but with different angles, as it might work due to the dual screws clamping force (though likely not for the long term zero LOL!)?

So, does anyone have the dimensions of the rear Kahr dovetail?

In any case, create and tap the correct dovetail adapter, then if the DeltaPoint Micro will clear the rear of the slide it should work IMO?

If yes then it's pretty simple job, and if no the Shield version certainly would, but that version would add considerably to the Kahr's OAL (which kind of defeats the purpose IMO!).

There's also the question as to whether the slide will be removable with the battery door removed?

Again, not a huge issue for typical self-defense ranges, so I'll be sticking with my trusty but unfortunately discontinued LaserMax Centerfire Laser for now.
    Last edited by djd100; 09-23-2022 at 01:40 PM.

Well, after some experience with MOS mounted on other pistols, I'm pretty much settled on having the P9 milled for the Holosun 407k. I'm on a waiting list now, as Galloway is backlogged.