Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Xssights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Old PM9 Owner in GA

Default New Old PM9 Owner in GA

Howdy from Georgia,

Picked up a VC72XX PM9 recently. Neat little pistol, quite accurate!

Have experienced some light strike misfires on Tula 115, and Federal 9BP, 9MS, and XM9001. Trigger pull seems light--compared to S&W 3rd Gens, I have no experience with Kahrs. Maybe the striker spring is a lighter aftermarket replacement... The striker tip protrusion from breech face seems a bit less than what I've seen on other striker/hammer pistols, too.

I registered here to glean from your collective wisdom .

New / Old is that referring to the gun or you? If it's the gun a thorough cleaning of the striker channel and slide internals would be my first move. You don't mention how often you get a light strike, could be a hard primer now and then, I don't know if either of those brands use harder primers. Really shouldn't matter the PM9 should eat them and spit them out without issue.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Welcome Steve! Words of wisdom from Bawanna there! I and others have found gunk or shavings in the channel which is why Bawanna said that. If you do as he’s advised, and still have the issue, I’d recommend Galloway Precision’s stuff (stainless striker guide, standard spring, not the reduced power one). You may also want to check the firing pin since you will be pulling it out to clean the channel. You can reference online pics to ensure that it looks as it should. If you are going to shoot the snot out of it, or carry, you may also want to check out Lakeline, LLC’s metal magazine followers. Those are not related to your issue, but a great upgrade to factory Kahr mags in my opinion.
    The great trigger you speak of, and accuracy, is why many of us here LOVE our Kahr’s. Hope you can get your issue sorted out quickly and get back to enjoying it. I’m sure it is something simple.

Thanks guys!

Yeah, done all the usual stuff. Striker bore and safety plunger bore were good-to-go, no
    schmoo. Got about 15% non-fire/light primer indents on last range session, with the Tula
    and Federal rounds.

Sent Kahr CS an email a couple of days ago for buying OEM striker spring, no response yet, hopefully
    soon. Ready to pull trigger with Wolff for their standard-weight striker spring and 20# recoil spring
    if Kahr doesn't respond.

I'll try and post some pics of the striker spring, and striker-tip breech face protrusion
    and get some opinions on them. The seller was assisting an estate liquidation and had
    no knowledge of the gun's history.

Quote Originally Posted by StevePM9 View Post
    Thanks guys!

Yeah, done all the usual stuff. Striker bore and safety plunger bore were good-to-go, no
    schmoo. Got about 15% non-fire/light primer indents on last range session, with the Tula
    and Federal rounds.

Sent Kahr CS an email a couple of days ago for buying OEM striker spring, no response yet, hopefully
    soon. Ready to pull trigger with Wolff for their standard-weight striker spring and 20# recoil spring
    if Kahr doesn't respond.

I'll try and post some pics of the striker spring, and striker-tip breech face protrusion
    and get some opinions on them. The seller was assisting an estate liquidation and had
    no knowledge of the gun's history.
    Glad to hear you are on top of it and are “in the know”. Hopefully that striker spring will smooth things out for you. I wish Kahr was a lil better at responding to customers. I sent them an email 2 weeks ago (wanting a new mag release) and they’ve yet to respond. Hopefully you will have a better experience with them than I have.

Kahr uses Wolff springs so from Kahr or from Wolff your getting the same thing.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Kahr uses Wolff springs so from Kahr or from Wolff your getting the same thing.
    Well heck, that’s super good to know!!!

Ok, I'll fire off an order to Wolff.

Lyman digital gauge is giving 5# and about an ounce, for pull.

My old Kastar round wire spark plug gauge shows 0.86mm / 0.033"
    for striker breech face max protrusion. Anyone know if that's in the
    ballpark?
    Last edited by StevePM9; 12-05-2021 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Wrong Decimal Place on SAE measure!

Quote Originally Posted by StevePM9 View Post
    Ok, I'll fire off an order to Wolff.

Lyman digital gauge is giving 5# and about an ounce, for pull.

My old Kastar round wire spark plug gauge shows 0.86mm / 0.334"
    for striker breech face max protrusion. Anyone know if that's in the
    ballpark?
    Wish I could help. I’m an eyeball and seat of the pants guy. I do own a micrometer, but that’s about as technical as I’ve evolved. I betchya somebody will chime in though.

I've had very good experiences calling Kahr directly, going back to 2003. Can't speak to the specs on striker protrusion but I would assume that your striker spring is going to have more impact on ignition than your trigger pull. No pun intended. Welcome to the board!