Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Old PM9 Owner in GA

Took her out for another session today. Misfires are most prevalent on the Barnaul, followed by Tula,
    and one Freedom Munition reman.

Got a couple of recoil spring & striker spring sets inbound, from Wulff. Fingers crossed...

Never heard of those ammo brands, cept Tula and I wouldn't use it although many do. I'd try some winchester white box or something domestic. 5# trigger is right where it should be, that's what one usually gets using the reduced power spring.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Tula and Barnaul are both Russian, different factories. Barnaul seems to load a bit stouter than Tula, in a few calibers I've used--tho Tula has a 150-ish FMJ flat point in .38 Special, that is lights-out accurate in my Model 64, and feels like a +P (like a Seventies +P, not the neutered stuff out there these days!).

Federal is a fairly well known US ammo manufacturer.

Freedom Munitions was a pretty big reman house a few years ago, using main-line reloading equipment, likely old machines from Speer & CCI, up the road from them. They tend to load everything a bit soft, but had a good rep. I think they ran into some HR problems, and have been trying to get back on track AFA ammo production.

At any rate, I don't think I had any of the three Federal loads, fail to ignite. I say "think" because I was on an outdoor range, and I may have ejected some beyond "the red line", or maybe picked em up and fired them in a S&W 469. Today, it popped all the Federal rounds. The Barnaul's were the prime offender, today.

Tonite I punched a disk out of some nylon stock, about 1.5mm thick, and tucked it into the pocket on the slide's back plate--where the base of striker spring guide rod sits. Spacing the rod base forward that distance raised the trigger pull from 5# and change, up to 6# and a couple of ounces. Will that give the striker a bit more oomph? It should. Will it be enough to pop the Barnauls? Time will tell.

I also have some CM40 parts in bound, so I'll be able to do some parts comparing/swapping.

I may (almost definitely will) end up with a heavier pull than I started with, but reliability is king.

“Tonite I punched a disk out of some nylon stock, about 1.5mm thick, and tucked it into the pocket on the slide's back plate--where the base of striker spring guide rod sits. Spacing the rod base forward that distance raised the trigger pull from 5# and change, up to 6# and a couple of ounces. Will that give the striker a bit more oomph? It should.”

Interesting idea! Curious to see how that works at your next range outing. I think this would be good “in a pinch” should one find themselves with a weak striker spring and unable to get a new one. Yes, please let us know how that works out.